Drew Brees and the Saints Are Cracking Up

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Wolf, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://news.yahoo.com/drew-brees-saints-cracking-nfl-busted-bounty-ring-215355112.html

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

Shazam! He wants $23 schmillion a year??? For THREE years??? $69 schmill???

Holy cow that's a lot of money! He should take the $18 schmillion-per and run with it. But then there's that issue about "how" the contract was structured, so I can see why there might be a hangup.

Gonna' be interesting.

3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

yeah...let dale tell it, he's going through all this with the saints FO b/c the they don't believe in him.....

4. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Looks like he got the exclusive franchise tag..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/03/saints-place-exclusive-franchise-tag-on-drew-brees/

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I can see the Cowboys going after Nicks, now. If the cap jumps $60 million or so next year, his $20+ million won't hurt so bad. I don't see how the Saints don't pay Drew Brees -- he's nearly as much the franchise as Peyton was.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

i think the Saints are fixing to have a very bad season. If Goodell doesn't discipline NO severely, he will be hung in effigy.

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...drew-brees-livid-franchise-tag-011643713.html

8. Say Watt

Say Watt Site Contributor

I used to have a ton of respect for Drew Brees. He seemed like a genuine guy, didn't seem to be "all about the money", and appeared to really love the city of New Orleans and to want to help the city. Now, he is just coming off as a spoiled prick. It is difficult to not become enraged when a guy is complaining about making $14.4M this year to play an f-ing sport while the rest of the country suffers in these tough economic times.

Drew Brees just lost a fan (not that it matters to him).

9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

He should be livid. I would to in his case. Brees has earned everything he's gotten in this league. He just broke Marino's record for god's sakes.

He is deserving of a huge multi year contract "RIGHT NOW" not after a franchise tag season where he could potentially have a career threatening injury or end up like Peydon Manning from this season. Hell, if anything should make you understand Drew's perspective here it should be Manning's current situation where he just got screwed out of $28 Million dollars now because his neck has had so many problems which caused his team to have no answer at QB right before the season where they lost so many games and they end up with Luck to replace him. Drew Brees is not some young sprout anymore and he could also get injured really easily. He is not really being greedy in this case. He has made that team and is going to be a HOF QB. Also don't forget that Brees has already been in a similar situation where an injury almost cost him an insane amount of money the last time he was in a contract year when the Saints signed him. Several teams were not interested including the Texans because they were worried about his injury at that time. The Saints were either the only team or one of the only teams that were willing to pay him a large contract at that time in the off season due to those injury concerns. He deserves a multi year contract and I don't blame him one bit for being "livid."

10. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

What he is being offered right now, to 99% of people, is insane, especially for playing a freaking sport. Good luck drumming up sympathy for him.

11. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

you don't know how greedy he is or isn't being, Tex

Do you know what Condon was asking for? Do you know what the Saints have offered Brees?

Now, as for him "making that team" and "deserving a huge contract" - the team's front office likely agrees with you.

Which is why they offered him a contract prior to the 2011 season that would've made him the NFL's richest player

And he and Condon (who orchestrated the Manning deal) turned it down.

Even this report of him being "livid" has come under scrutiny - it's come from Kaare Johnson, and that's it. There's been no other indication of him being "livid" - incl Brees's interview with WWL. Last week we saw a report that said Loomis called Brees a "very good" but "not great" QB. Reported by one source at yahoo who claimed it came from someone in the Saints organization. A bit of digging, and all of a sudden the source was not from the Saints at all. And Loomis refuted the report - saying it wasn't true. He never said it. Never believed it. They thought Brees was great back in 06, which is why they tried so hard to sign him in the first place.

I'm not saying Brees is or is not being greedy. I have no way of knowing. You have no way of knowing either. Nor do you know if he's "livid." But there is certainly proof that contradicts your belief here that the Saints have not offered him a generous, multi-year contract. Or that the Saints aren't aware of his importance to the team.

This is awfully lazy by your standards, Tex.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  12. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

just to put some more specific numbers to this - Schein just alluded to it in his article, Drew Brees Surprises with Selfish Turn with a nod toward the potential fallout in terms of losing key personnel b/c of free agency:

this has been one ****ty offseason

and it just started

I really, really thought Brees would sign for just-north-of-Brady money before the franchise tag deadline and we could tag Nicks and have an idea as to what free money we'd have available to extend Nicks and then work on Colston.

Instead, we get Brees tagged. Nicks is gone. We're kicking the tires on Moss. Ugh.