Dre is asking for a #2 WR

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DX-TEX, Apr 20, 2013.

1. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...son-asks-the-texans-to-draft-a-wide-receiver/

This made me depressed. Dre is all class and the definition of a pro and this makes me feel like he is now pleading for help.

Maybe Im wrong but this makes me really despise Kubiak and Rick Smith even more.

2. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

He got two of them last year, and he got his safety buddy from the U this year.
    That's enough.

4. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

But he just said that now not last year. Speculation, but it says to me he doesn't have much faith in Martin, Jean or Posey at this point.

I feel if this season doesn't go well (AFCCG or better) Dre will asked to be traded or released.

5. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

A little more in depth link:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...take-wide-receiver-in-draft/?cmpid=sportshcat

He answers DX-TX's question here:

- So I don't think he's down on the guys we already have, but maybe he doesn't think one is an automatic #2.

I like how he goes on to say he'd like to play another 5 years:

And here's a comment from a fan that I can really get behind, from the same link:

You're not going to trade any supplement picks, but if there was anyway to get Nick Foles and give up some picks I would do it in a heartbeat.

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I'm sorry, but while I don't believe for one minute Andre is "pleading for help" with the idea of moving on if he doesn't get it, I find it incredible that anyone would actually believe he's got any basis whatsoever to do so.

Thanks to using his Uncle as his agent, 'Dre did a crappy second deal, and pretty much immediately upon voicing displeasure about it, had that deal redone with 5 years still left on it - that's unheard of. If I recall correctly, he became the second highest paid receiver in the league at the time (2010). Since then, his team has gone to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, won a playoff game in both of those two seasons, and continue to have a window to win that is roughly equivalent to the prime years Dre's got left in his career.

The Texans have put 'Dre into a very good position at this point in his career, and anyone claiming he's going to be unhappy and want to move on if his input/comments aren't acted upon doesn't know 'Dre very well, and they apparently don't understand the business of NFL football very well either.

7. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I say get him some help, but don't reach. As usual, go BPA and use your draft board. I, for one, don't think Posey will ever have an impact on an NFL team. An Achilles injury will be too much to overcome.

8. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I really don't view it as Dre pleading for help. It sounds more to me like he is trying to reassure everybody that he has no problem with help or less touches, actually he encourages it when it helps the team. He is telling people that he likes the idea.

I think it's obvious that we need another receiver right now and will address it in the draft. You have to remember that we have spent a great deal of draft picks on defense. We had one of the worst defenses in the league 2 years ago and were switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. There are legitimate reasons for having not drafting a receiver high in recent seasons. We are lucky to have hit on JJ Watt or pass rush would be our biggest need over receiver and right tackle right now.

9. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Knew I should have clicked the link in that PFT article. I fell for the trap!

I do not want Foles though. I don't see him being any better than TJ right now.

10. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

This I agree with. We don't know what we have in TJ but that doesn't mean someone else's garbage is better than our "garbage".

11. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

I really liked Posey's potential when we drafted him. He came on at the end of the season and then of course he tore his damn achilles. That makes this whole situation a lot more difficult.

12. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

The thing is we haven't really had a first round bust since Okoye so its not like we've drafted bad in the first round. Our defense sucked so its been tough to get a big free agent receiver when we've been trying to improve the team on the other side of the ball.

I do think its time to get him some help in the form of a guy the team really thinks can be a #2, but I do know what I really would have done differently in the first round the last 4 or 5 years.

13. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

We should treat the Posey situation as if he will never contribute. He was a project that hadn't had alot of playing time coming out of college anyway.

14. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Of course we should, even if he didn't get injured most would say we still need a #2 receiver, just that he was showing flashes of brilliance and then he got hurt, which basically puts us back at square 1.

15. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

HE ALREADY got help Posey and Martin and Lestar

and I know this front office there not giving up on POsey just after 1 year

besides this offensive does not run throught WR more like TE and RB

if anything andre expect another Tight end or RB LOL ..

16. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

I guess.... if you class the current all-pro and best LT in football, droty and top 3 ilb in the league, probowl-calibre cb (in 2012 anyway), current dpoty who probably just had 1 of the best seasons by a defensive player ever and a pass rusher coming off a promising rookie season as 'not busts'

just out of curiousity- can anybody show me a better 4 yr streak of prolific 1st rd drafting that the Texans had from 08-11?

best let them keep doing their thing and let aj keep doing his. wonder if the cards regret taking gm advice from fitz re kolb and Michael floyd

TejasTom likes this.
  17. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

The help that AJ needs is a better distributor under center.

GP likes this.
  18. Fili

Fili All Pro

He better ask for another WR. Less trouble for him, if the the newbie is good.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

To me it sounds like Andre wants another beast on the other side. We have some nice players that can make good plays, but we don't have that legit scare the he'll out of defenses threat on the other side.

20. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Its cause he knows with a little pressure off him he could break CJs receiving record :kitten:. And i believe if he EVER had a legit #2 AJ would hold many more records than he currently does. He has pretty much been our only WR threat since he's been here.

Other teams have a bad ass #1 and usually try to get a #2 who could be a #1. The texans no, we get 1 good guy and they expect him to carry the team as far as that position goes.