Draft Trade Rumor

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Doom Capers, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

I heard we traded our 1st, 2nd, and 4th pick for the Browns 1st. Can anyone verify this? I guess Mel Kiper announced it was a rumor.

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Wow...but that seems kinda light for the Browns #3 overall pick.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I wouldn't put much stock in this rumor...but that value isn't light for this crop of rookies. Each draft has a different worth/dynamic.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

If its true ..... I'd be willing to bet that the Texans select an impact LB with that pick . :woot But at this point thats a HUGE IF. :heh:

5. titan hater

titan hater Veteran

:hmmm: why would we do that? Who in this draft is worth it? DJ? Braylon? Frankly, I think Kiper is full of it....

6. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Rookie

Where is the link to this rumor??? I have been all over ESPN and haven't seen anything about it. I don't see why we would want to trade up to 3.

7. Eyeguy

Eyeguy Veteran

No word on KKFL or ESPN. Nothing on Browns message board or site.

8. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

We're getting Alex Smith! :woot

9. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I doubt we'd do it, but IMO, that actually seems heavy for this draft class. The "Value Chart" is worthless this year. If I wanted to move that far, I'd offer a 2nd, but there's no player worth taking there.

10. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

Honestly doom, if you dont have a link, dont post it please

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I believe he was asking for verification ? :thumbup

12. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

Notice at the end how he said Mel Kiper announced it though? thats why I'd want a link

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Kiper has some radio shows so he may have heard something there. If something was said it will show up eventually.

14. wiley2002

wiley2002 Veteran

Personally, I don't see us trading up. I get this feeling there are lots of sleepers in this draft class. Can't wait to see how these rookies pan out.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Most mock drafts also have the Texans choosing Alex Barron with the #13 pick, which seems not only unlikely, but also unwise, in my opinion. It is my sense that some people in the the media have tapped Houston as the new kid on the block, and they are using them to fill in the gaps in their prognostications and projections, regardless of how that actually fits in with the Texans interests.

Well, as I expect everybody is aware, respect is not given, it is earned. A few more good drafts, and maybe the national media will start taking the Texans more seriously.

16. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I would like to move up, but with so many good players I wouldn't want to give up too many picks to move up ten spots in the draft.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Good post Mojo , i agree on both points . :thumbup

As for picking Barron , i hope it doesnt happen mainly because he isnt the kind of player that can step in and be an instant upgrade over what the Texans already have and may well be a step backwards . He may be the best prospect in this draft at tackle but thats not saying much considering the complete lack of talent at the position . Jammal Brown would have a better chance of being a first year starter as he is a much more polished player than Barron but lacks the upside of Barron . Neither of these prospects are very good run blockers therefore not a good fit at all for the Texans (Capers) run oriented style.

18. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

great post Mojo.. ive thought the same thing many times, but never been able to put it into words.

if this is true.. Id say we could go 3 ways.. Derrick Johnson, Ronnie Brown, or Cedric Benson.

Benson may seem a bit unlikely to us.. but you never know what the truth is.. Benson may be considered a top 5 pick by most teams out there. Honestly though.. the only reason I mention Benson is because last night they had an interview with him on the news after he had recently had a private meeting with the Texans. Seems interesting that we would have a private meeting with a top prospect, then trade up in the draft the next day.

19. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

notice how he hasn't come back to back up his statement

20. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

if it were true i'd go with Ronnie Brown... Not only does he have the size and speed, he also has the hands, and since he has been the 2nd stringer for soo long he has no miles on his body and no injuries so he comes in about as fresh as a college running back can come in.