Draft Pick Signings

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Jul 11, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone notice anything strange?

Last year Jason Babin (1st round draft pick) was signed on June 27th, and Dunta Robinson (1st round draft pick) was singed July 11th.

Its July 12th today, and I don't believe we ( or plenty of other teams) have anyone signed higher than their 4th round draft pics.

But on a side note, Andre Johnson was signed July 22nd, 2003.

2. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I recall the Bears signing their 2nd Round pick in Bradley, and I think the Jets signed Pouha their 3rd Rounder. I think every offseason is different, but I've read in many articles that one of the obstacles to overcome this year is how to spread out the bonuses. Last year teams were allowed to spread the signing bonus out over 6 seasons, and this year its cut down to 5 seasons. I'd imagine that most front offices are in the midst of contract negotiations as we speak in hopes of getting deals done before TC starts up. I imagine we'll see a few sporadic signings within the next week or so, and then we'll start seeing most of the draft picks signed by early August.

I think Rothelisberger signed sometime in August last year too.

3. JaguarsFan1

JaguarsFan1 Rookie

How many first rounders have signed in the NFL this year? I think they may be waiting on $ value.

4. stephen1

stephen1 Veteran

is it just me or are this years rookies greedy? benson is holding out before he has even played a down. these guys havent arent even proven players yet they are asking for top dollar deals. sign your deal, perform well, and ask for a raise is what they should do. just like what DD is doing

5. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I read an article on the Benson situation and he isnt holding out, his training camp, along with the Dolpins, starts before everyone elses (cause the Bears and the Dolphins play in the HOF) so in theory he has a one less week to negotiate so he looks like the bad guy...

(the article may have been on NFL.com)

6. Ghetto D

Ghetto D Rookie

I believe ESPN had an article about how teams with top 10 picks were going to have to get extra creative to sign the players. It was a few weeks ago if not more, so I'm hazy on the details, but its not anyone's fault. Apparently there is something going on with the rookie pool and most of the early picks will take extra time to get signed, but this will be a phenomenon of all teams.

...and P.S. Babin was an anomoly. Don't judge all other picks on him. He was signed before most 1st day picks last year. And while that's great, but don't judge other players based on him.

7. Ghetto D

Ghetto D Rookie

8. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Its not holding out if you dont have a contract. Benson and every other first rounder are waiting for the market to dictate what they are worth.

9. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

There not holding out everyone is waiting on alex smith to sign so they know about how much there worth

10. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

That fairly true. It is like Dominoes at the top. Once one falls the rest start to get signed. Does Rosenhaus have any of the top rookies as clients?

11. Evans Fan

Evans Fan Rookie

Buffalo just signed their fourth round pick but as i see it the rookies in rounds 1-3 want the most they can get so this will be interesting to see will they settle for what the team offers or demand more until they get it ?

12. cred

cred Rookie

I read an artical that said something about the Collective Bargaining Agreement changing next year or to something of that effect, and that is the reason for not so many draft picks being signed yet, especially the picks of rounds 3-7.

I can't remember where I read this though, sorry.

13. Ghetto D

Ghetto D Rookie

Could that be the article posted a few spots ahead of your post?

14. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Fox 26's Mark Berman reported that the Texans have reached a contract agreement with 5th Round Pick C Drew Hodgdon. It's said to be a 3 year deal worth in the one million dollar plus range and his signing bonus was around 120K I believe.

15. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Texans | Hodgon Signed
    Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:00:21 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have signed rookie OL Drew Hodgdon, the team's fifth-round draft pick, to a three-year contract valued at $1,050,900. The deal included a $125,900 signing bonus and base salaries of $230,000 (2005), $310,000 (2006) and $385,000 (2007).

Texans | Still Negotiating with T. Johnson
    Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:09:56 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are still in contract negotiations with the agent for DT Travis Johnson, the team's first-round draft pick.

Texans | Still Negotiating with Morency
    Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:12:06 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are still in contract negotiations with the agent for RB Vernand Morency, the team's third-round draft pick.

Texans | Still Negotiating with Mathis
    Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:12:56 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans are still in contract negotiations with the agent for WR Jerome Mathis, the team's fourth-round draft pick.

16. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Do you think that anyone will hold out from this draft class?

17. Texan Spain

Texan Spain Rookie

I don't think so, the texans are paying well their rookies, and rookies don't usually get holdout

18. Str8tupg42k1

Str8tupg42k1 Veteran

You prolly didn't hear of phillip rivers right?

19. Texan Spain

Texan Spain Rookie

I said usually, not normally, but in San Diego that's normally(Rivers, Jammer, Merriman)

20. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Clayton just said he expects that mid first rounders should sign by the middle of next week. He also said the top 15 may be a little tough to sign, will wear into training camp.