Draft Offense or Defense first?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by mussop, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Alot of people seem to think this draft has to be used to improve the defense. I agree with this. I dont agree we have to use our first pick on D. If a top OT is available say Monroe or Oher, what Defensive player available at 15 could be more valuable than one of those guys??? No one IMO. Well maybe Curry but cant imagine him slipping to 15.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Really we already have our bookends, and another tackle might be a bit much. Oher should be gone by 15 IMO and we could have our pick of some really good defensive players such as Mays, Jenkins, Maualuga, Curry or an offensive lineman like Duke Robinson would be preferred by me.

3. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Im holding out hope our OL will look like this

Oher--Pitts--Mack--Brown--Winston

or

Oher--Pitts--Unger--Brown--Winston

or

Brown--Pitts--Mack--Robinson--Winston

Any of those would complete our OL for many years and help Schaub continue to grow as a QB by giving him the protection he needs. There are just so many positives about adding to our OL. Would improve our running game. Because the middle is stronger we should imprve in short yardage and red zone situations. Better protection means less turnovers. Controling the LOS wears opposing Defenses down and keeps our D fresh.

Im just saying if we have a chance to complete our offense we should consider it. It wouldnt be as bad a thing as some think. Our scouts have proved they can find talent late in the draft. We could still get a starter or 2 and go after a bigtime FA like the CB from Oakland that has a name that soulds like a disease. Add another year of experiens to our very young defensive players and a new coach and scheme who knows?

4. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

If there is a playmaking WR like Jeremy Macklin there, I couldn't pass on him being next to AJ. That would be some "greatest show on turf" potential.

Brandon420tx likes this.
  5. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think Macklin will be next year's Desean Jackson. Won't make it in the first round but will make an impact at Wr and in the return game.

Defense has some holes but I think it was pretty revealing how much better this defense looked when it had some speed at he LB position when Adibi was starting. If we do go defense 1st LB or De. IF we go offense 1st round Duke Robinson and we've got a leg up on sealing a weak interior OL.

6. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Guys - it's gonna be great to actually have a second round pick this year.

The last time we had a second round choice, some guy named DeMeco Ryans was the pick.

7. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Why do you keep posting this in different threads? Also, we have grass. Not turf.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

Some people like pissing into the wind. In order for the Texans to take a WR in the 1st it would take some bizarre slide of someone perceived to be a top 5 pick like AJ or Calvin Johnson down to 15 and that ain't happening.

Yippee--I made my overly definitive draft post of the year.

9. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Let see, we have the number 3 ranked offense and the 22nd ranked defense........what to do.....what to do.....Mmmm, let me think about this for awhile.

Maddict5 likes this.
  10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Let's see..... we've ignored our offense at the top of the draft for the past three years... more or less. Focused on Defense..... mmmm... mmm..

11. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Barring Monroe, or Oher sitting there when we pick it's not even a question.

Defense is the weakness of this team.

They need a starting NT, SS, LDE, and could stand an upgrade at FS and CB.

Vs the offense which needs nothing, and could stand an upgrade at C, RG, and backup RB.

12. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

if we address either the DL or LB position through free agency, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted OL in the first, but that sieve that we call a rush defense has got to be helped.

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

that's my take as well. Frankly, if they draft another defensive lineman in the first round it wouldn't bother me at all. Especially if a good DE fell to us at pick 15.

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Don't you guys get it? If we draft nothing but offense, we'll have a top 5 D next year. :mcnugget:

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

No, they haven't--they spent two 1st day picks on a QB, a 1st rounder on a LT, two 3rds on WR and RB and two more thirds on OT's. Looking at the traditional 1st day draft definition they have spent 7 picks on offense and 4 on defense.

Hooston Texan likes this.
  16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think it's amazing how good our special teams are when we hardly ever draft any. :thinking:

I mean when do we draft a punt coverage guy, or a kickoff blocker? :mcnugget:

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'd take a LT like Oher in a heartbeat. I agree with Mussop. Oher is a much better LT than Brown is, IMO and I'm a big fan of Brown's (doesn't mean I'm right just means I supported the pick and aint a hater). Oher would be a hell of a pass blocker on the left, move Winston in to RG and then Brown to RT (where he doesn't have to consistently see the pass rushing DE/OLBs). Our running game would be unstoppable to the right as if it's not already good.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do that, I think they're focused on making Schaub work and don't like seeing him getting hit so hard so frequently. Salaam isn't going to be our backup much longer and that means Rashad Butler is our backup. We were VERY lucky not to have injuries on the OL this season. If Brown or Winston go down... Schaub is dead. Or Daniels is always in blocking and our offense suffers.

Other than a true franchise LT... go defense. The draft is set up where we will see highly rated Defensive players at our spot. DE, DT, LB, CB, S... we'll have options and maybe even trade down. I suspect the BPA will be on the defensive side.

Giant Tiger likes this.
  18. Ole Miss Texan

???

19. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

Defense wins championships. Our team has the wrong identity..."EXPANSION TEAM" according to Michael Strahan...We should concentrate on our defense through the draft. Thats the problem with our team. We have to score a million points and have the ball last because our defense gives up 999,999 points a game.:d:

20. Ole Miss Texan

Give them some credit, man! That was for the whole season. ;)