Draft knowledge is lacking

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by MikeMc, Dec 13, 2005.

1. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

I have been away from the HT.com MB for awhile, and I come on here and see some of the ridiculous comments regarding the 2006 NFL Draft and some "scenarios" that are simply pathetic.

I guess this site was better when it was in its original form with the Inaugural Blue Crew members. Now we have thousands of Monday Evening QBs and Armchair GMs that have no idea how off-the-wall their comments are regarding the Draft, Bush, and any number of football personnel decisions.

jerek likes this.
  2. BroncoPride

BroncoPride Rookie

I hope your not referring to my trade proposal when you made this post lolz...

Broncofreak

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Maybe some posts in response to specific bad scenarios/comments would be more constructive than blanket condemnation.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I agree .... seems every mock has someone with first round talent being picked in round seven ....:pigfly:

People should do a bit of research before they make thier mocks .... or back up posts with fact on other topics .

5. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

People should also wait until the final draft order is set and the combine and other workouts have gone by so they have somewhat of an idea of how good people are rather than just seeing a few games on TV against college competition. Then some serious mock drafts can start coming out (mine included).

6. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

well you can always if the season ended to day this is what i think. Then again we do have bowl games, senior bowls and combines to raise ppls stocks. Alot of things people are forgetting to add into their mocks. DAN REEVES FACTOR!! I was thinking about this. He was brought in to evaluate right. That means the players he doesnt like are going to be gone. To me i think hes taking Casserly's job. That means it will be Reeves selecting not Casserly (thank god). Now we have a RB signed to a 5 yr deal. We will pick up Carr's 8 mil (not sure why but we will). You know what i dont get is if we had an O-line we wouldnt be having this conversation right now. We would talk about 7-9 season. I think a team end up being the 49ers will offer us a good enough offer to make sure they get Bush. So basically i think we will swop 1 and 2 picks and pick up the 2nd pick in 2nd round. In most GM's mind thats technically 3 1st round quality players. With the players i think leaving Babin, Buchannon, Coleman, McKinney.. ect i think Reeves will start wheeling and dealing to fill these positions. If we have say #2 the 32 and 33rd picks we can get 3 of the top 33 people. So not only can we get our stud O-line we can get a TE and a CB/S in the 2nd round. Then we have 2 3rd rounders for depth in the OL/LB/DL. Then the 4th we can get a WR or a S. This is just so clear to me i dont see why others cant see it.

and this isnt even going into the thought that Det, N.O., or Tenn trades to #2 pick to get Leinhart which is also another theory that is very realistic

7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I doubt Babin leaves. To much tied up and he CAN play.

8. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

orr will replace him

9. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

babin is not likely to go anywhere. buchanon is not going anywhere either. greenwood might as far as LB's are concerned. he has not preformed at all this year, but i will attribute most of that to a bad version of a sucessful scheme.

10. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

i wouldnt be surprised if both left esp if Buchannon asks for any kind of significant money...

Babin... Babin what has he done for us. He has been poor - adaquate at best. Orr has shown he is ready and will come at a cheaper cost.

11. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

Maybe the new coaching staff will have a different defensive philosophy. Then Babin and Wong could play on the End of a 4-3 (for example). Then we might be talking about a LB like Hawk, Greenway or any number of top LBs that are projected to go in the top 15 picks.

My point is that so many people make these ridiculous scenarios, like we trade DD and Carr for a 2 & 3, then trade down and pick up a 1st rd pick in 2010, a 2nd rd pick in 2007 and 4 3rd rd picks in 2006.

Just stick with the what if the Texans have the #1 pick. All of this ridiculous trade garbage floods the MB. I wish the Mods would group all 404 Bush threads into one.

BTW, this kid is not the second coming of Sweetness. And how can he run outside or inside if he is always getting met 5 yrds behind the LOS? DD has shown the muscle and toughness to turn the -3 yard play into 3 or 4 yards. And that has been at the NFL level....not the Pac10!

12. ghostlight

ghostlight All Pro

MikeMc

Welcome back. I've missed your input and sharp wit. Can't wait to read your no-spin replies. Never agree with them but good reading.

13. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Orr and Peek are both going to be restricted free agents so we can sign them to a one-year tender and keep them around for next year for very little money. Babin still has a decently big contract and since we wasted all those picks on him I think they'll keep him around at least another year and see if a new coach can get something out of him, and if we switch to a 4-3 he is sadly the best DE end we have in that system. Greenwood absolutely will not go, I wish he would but with his contract it would be very difficult to do at this point in time. Check out my "Houston Texans Player Contracts" thread in the bull pen to see the cap consequences of keeping and cutting all of our players and you'll see that some are unfortunately going to have to stay.

14. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

I pray every day we either stay in the 34 or switch to 46 but the 43 sux and sux hard. I hope we never switch to it.

15. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

It blows me away how people say things like "this is the NFL, not the Pac-10" or any conference for that matter. Most players come out of college. They don't have a choice. For exaple, your reference to Sweetness, well he came out of a super small school. How many times did he hear "well this is the NFL, not the NCAA Division ll". How many times was Emmit told "you're too small, too slow, and you come from a pass 1st college program". Hell, Aikman came out of the Pac-10. So did Marcus Allen, OJ, Carson Palmer. I know, so did Ryan Leaf.
    I guess we should have the kids get drafted to the Arena League 1st, then hold a draft for them to then go to Canada, then after that then they can go to NFL Europe. And theeeeeeeeen they can come to the NFL. How does that sound. :challenge Of course then they still would not have been "at the NFL level"!!!!!!!

16. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Are you referring to mocks or comments. Look at some of the mocks. Some of them have been fairly developed utilizing the draft value chart. Like mine for example!
    Check out Tryptophan Mock!

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've been here for years...and years.....and the goofy mocks are here every year (as well as the good ones). That hasn't changed a bit.

18. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

I was using "Pac-10" to refer to level of comp....college that is. He will be facing guys that are experienced NFL players.

Best case......look at Maurice Clarett....dominated the Big Ten, but did not even make the NFL cut. Yes it is different, but you get the point. Hey, Ty Detmer lit it up at BYU, but it is is little brother who is still on a NFL roster.

Just because someone succeeds at one level, does not mean they will succeed at the next. That is all I was trying to say.

And BTW, Jackson St is a DivI-AA school, not DivII.

19. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Ty plays for Atlanta, but I do see your point.

20. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

He does? I thought it was Vick, Shaub....so I guess Ty is #3? So I would not go as far as to say he "plays" for ATL.