Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by New_Texans, Apr 26, 2009.

1. New_Texans

New_Texans All Pro

Already? Time will tell.

Link

2. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

i kind of have a bias against anything the Fox Network puts reports on but i'm starting to come around.

3. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I would give us . . .

A- for Cushing. We needed a starting SLB and we got one.

B+ for Barwin. We needed a pass rusher and we got one in Barwin.

A for Caldwell. We needed interior O-Line depth and we maybe got a starter in Caldwell.

B- for Quin. He will play FS for us and while I like him as a prospect I thought we should have gone with a more impactful DB at that point.

B- for Hill. I admit I was completely pissed when we made this pick, but that's because I wasn't thinking about the grand scheme of things. He really gives us some options now on the goalline.

B for Casey. He is a clone of OD in my mind and should be an excellent recieiving option for us. I see a lot of 2 TE sets for us now.

C+ for McCain. We needed a CB, but unfortunately we waited too long to take one. I don't see him contributing much beyond a dime back.

B for Nolan. We needed a SS and I thought we should have addressed it earlier, but we still got a good player in Nolan.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

LOL. :)

Come on now. This is Fox Sports we are talking about here.

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Better than the Reggie Bush Sports Network...

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

that's not really saying much
    kinda like comparing crap from a cow to crap from horse
    it all stinks
    :)

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

About a week ago Mel Kiper was still trying to justify Reggie .

8. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Saw that and couldnt believe he still thinks he should have went #1.

9. WolverineFan

Well he did say that the day he got drafted Reggie would be the best RB in the NFL outside of LT. He also said that Bush was the best RB prospect to come out since Barry Sanders and that he was Sanders, Walter Payton, & Gale Sayers all rolled into one player.

Yea I wouldn't want to look like that much of an ***** either and would probably still be defending the pick although it is a mute point now.

I saw that Outside the Lines story and could only laugh at his defense of Bush as the pick.

10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Whats funny is that

11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Slaton is better.

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I'm still not high on the Barwin pick.....just don't like using a mid 2nd rounder on a project player, just because he has "potential" (potential can get you fired). I would've liked to see them get a player who can come in from day one and contribute as a starter type player.

13. WolverineFan

What does it matter if he starts as long as he contributes. Make no mistake he will contribute immediately for us.

He already has the skills, but he has the potential to be even better than that. If he had been picked by a 3-4 team then he would start at OLB as a rush LB as a rookie. It just so happens that we have finally solidified our LB and DE problems and he just doesn't have a place to start at right now. He is most certainly not a "project" player though.

Jacoby Jones & Antwaun Molden are project players, Barwin is not.

14. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

barwin is one of my favorite picks... i think he will be great

i give us a B+

not so high on anthony hill pick.. but love the rest

15. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

but but but we didn't draft rashad jennings. F-.

:jk:

we had a nice draft.

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well, I'm pretty satisfied....the monkey is definately on my back now. I tought there was no way we would take Barwin. I believed that the LB ws the best way to go.

Smith said tonight.....Every time they had the oportunity to take a back....these other guys out weighed the need for a back. we'll see. Some of them are pretty bazzar. Off my radar for sure. Scouted New Mexico for chase Holbrook and the RB....the Cb wasn't on my radar. My guess with the last two....since they seem no where near ready for prime time.....they were looking for guys who could come in and disrupt the other teams gunner in the punt return package.

I give us a solid B.....If the sack total passes thirty....B+. They get into the AFC championship game....I guess they knew what they were doing. A

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

A player who was a TE and offensive player that was moved and played one year at DE, is all intents and purposes a project player in the NFL. Especially if you're going to mention Antwaun Molden as one...he's more polished at his position than Barwin is right now and was coming out (he just wasn't ready for the talent level he was going to face last year) Barwin is athletic as hell, but this guy is going to have to be coached up and I just don't like taking players like that in the second round...sorry, that's just my opinion. I like players that have a much higher floor than a super high ceiling, how many times have we gotten bit in the butt with those type of players? Too many to even remember, but like all those other type of players.....I'll try to stay positive and I wish him all the success in the world. Hope he pans out to be a fantastic player for us. Hopefully he can come in and blow it up on STs like Molden did, that would be great.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  18. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Bull dung....he went into a position...on the coaches say so.....and led his conference in sacks on raw phyiscal tallen. Now you could say he's a project to stand up at will. But the lad does know how to run the arc and get there.
    Eleven sacks wasn't nothing. He doesn't have to be coached sheet to get a sack. The lad already knows how to do that.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Beware of the one hit wonder....that's what I'm talking about. Players like him bust more than they hit.

If it works out GREAT! I'll be the first to say, "WOW I was wrong about that guy" and will be glad to do so.....hell I hope so

20. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

ill take back what i said about anthony hill.. i think he will help us alot in the red zone...