Draft Eve, what are you thinking on the first pick now that all the info is out?

Discussion in '2009 NFL Draft: Day 1' started by Vinny, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I started this thread at the .com so I'll start one here. All the info is in, and the hypotheticals are off the chart. It's time to fish or cut bait and the waiting is over. I've posted these thoughts in a few threads but I figure I'd start this thread to check back on later in the year. On Draft eve, what is your logic behind your first pick desires?

Right now I'm thinking Vunta (he has to change the way he spells his name so we can have matching CB's if he comes here) Davis if we go CB, Rey Maualuga if all the linebackers are on the board, or a running back that will help us win on 3rd and short and first and goal. While we were a team that churned out lots of yardage, we lost a ton of goal line and 3rd and short situations on both offense and on defense. Converting those situations keeps the defense off the field and turns 3 points into 7. Rey Maualuga does the same thing that Wells would do for the offense for the D - win that battle for short space, extending drives and punching in (or stopping) TD's. I'm hoping we become stronger in short space next season. That's the reasoning behind my first round draft logic.

J-Russ likes this.
  2. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I would be a happy camper with any one of the 3 you mentioned especially Rey Maualuga.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I like your picks. I'd be quite content with any of the USC linebackers, any of the top RB prospects, either of the top 2 DB prospects, or one of the top 4 tackles.

I really woudl prefer us not to draft a DL this year unless its Orakpo. No DTs are worth our pick imo (for whatever reason, I have concerns about Raji and don't think he'll be there anyway) and don't like any of the other lower ranking prospects because of their 1 dimensionality. I just don't think we are that good at developing DTs, and am tired of hearing how much potential our DL has.

I think I'll be happy this year because it really seems like theirs a lot of ways we can go

Heres my philosophy: Kubiak is a great offensive coach with great offensive scouting ability. Let him pick BPA for someone he knows how to work with and turn that guy into a stud. If we draft another RB and we find ourselves crowded with 2 legitimate #1 RBs, trade one for more picks in the future or another player of equal caliber that he can't devleop on his own. LIke the Portis/Bailey deal. Im tired of picking DL and getting so little return (with the exception of Mario obviously). Lets pick guys we know we can make work

Vinny likes this.
  4. Blake

Blake MMQB

Vinny I think you and I share alot of the same thoughts. I am a big Rey fan and it seems that interest on this board has dropped as well as on other media outlets. We dog Rey for potentially not being a 3 down LB, but guess what, someone in the top 20 picks will take him. Vunta is the wild card. He need a corner, but is he the right corner. And Moreno or Wells would be a great combo to pair with Slaton. Nevermind this "we dont draft RB in round 1" mentality. Here is what I want to do if we stick at #15.

Rey Maualuga (DeMeco moves or gets traded)

I dont want to pass on him and see the Chargers get a MLB sledge hammer for their 3-4 defense.

5. Vinny

I think if you stop teams on first or second down and create more 3rd and longs you create an ideal environment for your defense. Also, drafting a big time thumper for the middle helps this team in it's weakest spot...short yardage situations. I'd move DeMeco all over the field to take advantage of mismatches then I'd move him into the middle in obvious passing situations.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I want what Kubiak said a 1st round pick should be. Someone who comes in and starts and makes a difference that will translate into more wins.

Offense, defense, whatever. So far this draft year I've been for defense in the 1st couple of rounds, but after constant hanging out at this place all week, I'm beginning to see the logic behind an offensive player in the 1st round. I still don't think that will happen though. But, with the right RB taken in the 1st round, our offense moves from above average to scary. I can live with that. :)

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

If we take a RB in round 1 to complement Slaton...what do we do about Slaton's contract? Don't you think he'd take it badly if a rookie who is being used to complement him is making more money than him?

8. Vinny

I don't think we will worry about his feelings. Chris Johnson was great last year but fatso scored a ton of TD's in short space and took all the slobberknocker hits on 3rd and short. Take away White and Johnson probably gets more worn down and probably less effective over the course of the season. White helps extend Johnson's career.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Slaton seems like a stand up guy to me. I'm not sure he'd take it to bad (publicly anyway) for this season. But you bet he'd want a raise quickly if his performance remains the same or improves. Slaton is a quality back, and will be paid like one by us or someone else, you can count on that.

10. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

im hoping we take one of everette brown, maybin or jenkins @ 15. i think adding a de/olb type will really be a key piece even to what we want to do next year on defence even if they arent full time starters.

at the same time id love to have jenkins because he shouldnt be available at our pick

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I would love it if we could trade down far or two smaller trade downs, get into the late 20s or even into the 30s and grab Delmas while stockpiling some other picks. I would also be alright if they threw a bit of a curveball and took Peria Jerry at 15 or just after. Cushing or Matthews would be fine with me and I also like Vontae Davis. There are really a lot of scenarios I could get behind pretty easily, I am really looking forward to this draft and it would be tough for them to do something I really hated.

12. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

We could field a competitive team as it stands now, so there's really no position we have to draft in the first. So, really, the idea is to pick the best player available at a position of reason.

Provided there's no trade, the top 6 players (that are expected to be at/around our pick) I'd like to have, on offense and defense respectively, are Brandon Pettigrew, Knowshown Moreno, Donald Brown, Malcom Jenkins, Rey Maulauga, and Peria Jerry.

I'd be willing to trade up (within reason) for Curry or Raji. But, my ultimate preference is to trade out of the first round entirely for a future first round pick.

The 15th spot isn't a great spot to be at, but let's hope Smith & Co. can make something out of it.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Like most of us here I've got very strong sentiments about what the Texans priorities should be for this weekend, but funny thing Rick and Gary failed again this year to call me for my council ? As far as what ther're priorities truely are, I have no clue beyond what they've publicly said and I'm confidant that's not the whole story. I'll just have to wait and see like everybody else ?

14. Polo

Polo Guest

I think it's gonna be one of the Ohio State guys...Jenkins or Wells..If they're both on the clock when we pick then I think we'll go with Jenkins...

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

First of all, I desperately want a trade down, even if we get less than "fair" value. I think most agree that the talent level in the 2nd through 4th rounds are very close to what is available in the top 1/2 of the first, particularly on defense. Primarily though, I believe our team needs are at positions that can be best addressed in the mid rounds: RB, OC/OG, S... those are positions traditionally that can be drafted well in the mid rounds.

If Aaron Curry slips, then I would love to see a trade up to get him.

I will be very upset if we don't come out of the first 4 rounds with a promising interior line prospect. I have no faith in Kasey Studdard or Chris White, CPItts will be a FA next year and CMyers and Briesel are less than spectacular.

I also want to see two RBs come out of this draft. It's a very deep class and we have nothing after Slaton. I'm very optimistic about this season but an injury to Slaton without adequately adding depth to the position ruins our season! so, I'm hoping we get one of these guys: Moreno, Well, DBrown, SGreene, RJennings, JRinger, A. Brown, GCoffee. Then, someone from this group: Gattrel Johnson, Javaris Williams, K. Sheets, PJ Hill, Ian Johnson, C Peerman.

keyser likes this.
  16. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

I'd love to have a thumper in the middle and let Demeco use his instincts and athleticism on the outside w/ June and Adibi. I think that makes are defense instantly better.

Maualuga brings the nasty incredient to our D and that's something we need to get to the next level. However, I also really like Laurinaitis and think he'd be a great addition if we trade back.

Matthews or Cushing would be solid and keep Demeco in the middle, but I think Rey or James makes are defense tougher to run on.

With that said, I'm also excited about Knowshon Moreno. He and Slaton would be a helluva 1-2 punch and give us some interesting options to split them out in different formations.

Finally, I think a pass rusher could be a target if someone they like slips or we trade back (Maybin, Brown or Johnson).

Cheering from Camp Slayer in Baghdad!

Vinny likes this.
  17. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60876

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Clay Matthews - OLB - I think he's more durable than Cushing plus he's got more upside . He's also a great special teams player .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7dA3UttUM

2. Alphoso Smith - CB - This pick I to used the cherry picking device some . A good player who's a bit undersized , provides Dunta insurance .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9C6JWaoPg

3. Chip Vaughn - SS - last of a dying breed . A 6'1 220 pounder who runs a 4.4 forty . When you play the Titans and Jags twice a year ... you need a SS who brings the lumber .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sgbGgTFZ6k

4. Rashad Jennings - RB - Compliment to Slaton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpJMNzBZ1k

4b. Tyrone Green - G - Give me an SEC Guard any day of the week .

5. Nate Davis - QB- Good value plus a talented guy to develop cause you never know about Schaub .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46I0s...eature=related

6. Henry Melton - DE - has the potential to be a good pass rusher .

7. Tyrell Sutton - RB - After Slaton , we're kinda thin at RB . Sutton is a smart , hard working guy , who's more quick than fast . I watched him in the Alamo Bowl vs Missouri and he looked like the fastest guy on the field ... hmmm .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlfSbIwM_iI

False Start likes this.
  18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I am on record as being against a RB under virtually any circumstances in rd 1, and I will fall over dead if they select one.

I suspect strongly they will try very hard to trade down. If they go corner, I suspect they take Darius Butler from Uconn and not Davis.

I am not as big of fan of Rey for this defense as some others. I see him as a 2 down LB who is a major liability in coverage. I like him better as a ILB in a 3/4. I prefer Matthews or Laurinaitis as my first choices, and Cushing as a decent choice as well. I am not sold on Rey for this D.

I doubt we go dline in the first, but there are certainly some candidates. I truly think it's one of the LB with a chance of a CB. I think anyone who honestly and truly thinks we are drafting a RB in rd 1 needs to stop smoking the good stuff. We are going D. I would stake my repuation on it.

Right now, my guess is Matthews, but the other two I mentioned would not surprise me and I would be happy with either one. I would be surprised if Vinny's choice becomes a Texan. Not seeing that.

19. Vinny

Vinny's team would knock out Porky's team on 3rd down while your team would make nice clean tackles 4 yards down field on defense and then send second day back Jon Wells in on 3rd and short instead of Beanie Wells. Another VinnyTexan FIRST DOWN! :lion:

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  20. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

You've sold me on Rey Macarena. I'm all about him now.

Rey Maualuga at 15!