DPAR ratings:OL..ranking from everywhich way you think

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

this was good info IMO on how our offense was ran over the seasson

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

our "stuffed" ranking was 21st .. I thought it would be around 30-32

3. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Ok so we had the 8th best run blocking o-line and the 32th best pass blocking o-line. Sounds reasonable.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

It's strange to me that a line can be in the top 10 in one area but last in the other. Obviously these dudes have some talent and can block. There are quite a few aspects of our pass protection that need to be addressed beyond just the offensive line. Our inability to pick up blitzes and failure to read defenses immediately come to mind.

5. big homey

big homey Veteran

I'd say the zone blocking system was responsible for the run blocking's success, not talent. Face it, the line sucks.

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I agree with you.

I don't know much about the stats on this website,but looking how we don't do well running up the middle makes me wonder(and we all know that and don't have to look up stats) what we are going to do with the Center position. lots of money tied up into a "weakness" (nothing against Steve except he is playing out of position)

7. Double Barrel

A lot of teams run forms of zone blocking, and they're not ranked 8th against the run. You still have to have the personel with some semblance of talent to implement any scheme.

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Way to spin the data. If it's good, it's in spite of our players and if it's bad, it's because of the players.

Maybe the line is as good as the run blocking shows and the pass blocking scheme sucked.

I don't believe either of these extremes, by the way.

9. big homey

big homey Veteran

Not every team has DD (who is VERY underrated), and some forms of zone blocking are more effective than others. For example, Denver's scheme manages to produce 1,000 yard rushers out of nowhere, yet none of these other zone blocking teams can claim the same achievement. I'm not saying every lineman on the team is garbage, but they just don't work.

10. GoBlue

GoBlue Rookie

I dunno how those guys calculated all that but the results make sense to me. Our linemen are below average talent, especially in terms of their athleticism. We can run block with a good scheme (zone blocking) and average ability, but when you ask our linemen the match athleticism with oncoming blitzers forget it. That why we give up so many sacks and why our pass blocking stinks.

Has anyone come up with the formula on how to find a lineman in the draft that can move us up into the upper half of the league?

11. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

And pocket presence by the QB.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Texans supposedly ranked 4th in the NFL in the Adjusted Line Yards MID/GUARD category. From left to right:

Left End - 4.16 ALY (17th)
    Left Tackle - 4.14 ALY (22nd)
    Mid/Guard - 4.62 ALY (4th)
    Right Tackle - 3.75 ALY (23rd)
    Right End - 4.35 ALY (12th)

I think the numbers come from the nature of the zone blocking scheme rather that the proficiency of the blocking by the guards and the center. Many Texan rushes start off tackle but are cut back inside. Is the success the result of McKinney dominating or the tackles learning how to clean up the backside of a run? It's interesting that the #1 ranked offensive line in the Mid/Guard ALY category isDenver, another zone blocking team.

13. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

thanks I misread the line or looked at wrong team earlier

14. bakerooskie

bakerooskie Rookie

A place called Puna, on the Big Island of Hawai'i.
    Wade, Todd T
    Wand, Seth T
    McKinney, Steve C
    Washington, Todd C
    Walter, Tyson C
    Pitts, Chester G
    Weary, Fred G
    Wiegert, Zach G
    Brown, Milford G

Does are rotation seem a little off to anyone, or is it just me?

15. Double Barrel

I thought about throwing that one in there, too, but it seemed like a Carr dig at the time.

I was timing our pocket at the games last year, and the first half of the season was just pathetic. Maybe a second or so before someone made it through the line. The second half of the season was better after they moved Pitts. DC got maybe 2 seconds on a good pocket, and yeah, there were times when he made something of it, and other times where he threw bad passes or ran too quickly (and usually took a sack).

However, the pocket was never truly consistent during a full game all season. And I don't blame it all on the line, because there were many times when the backs just failed to pick up blitzes, or worse, they picked them up but just had no ability to stop them.