Donte' Stallworth: Worth a shot?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hottoddie, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I know he's had a lot of injuries, but when he's healthy, he's pretty good. It appears that Philly doesn't want to pay him much, so we might be able to slip in & take him away for a relatively small price. Would he interest any of you?

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

2. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

The team still needs to add a WR and along with Antonio Bryant he's probably the most talented receiver available right now. Depending on the cost it would be worth a look.

3. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

He burned our butts for a few plays and touchdowns . . .Why not!

4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

When he went to Philly, he was compared to some on these boards to Cory Bradford. I think we saw that he has much more to offer than Bradford. He is a pretty dynamic receiver who would make things easier on the other side for AJ. I think he might be had for a acceptable price, so I would be all for making an offer.
    IMO, he would easily be the best threat we have ever put on the field with AJ.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If Stallworth would take the same
    2-year, $4.3 million deal that Lelie got from the Niners, sure. If he's looking for $10 million in guaranteed money, no way. Other than dominating a weak Texan secondary, what did Stallworth do last season?

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I remember he burned the Saints in the playoffs. I think he made big plays all season...certainly more than the Texans did.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

OK, so he dominated 2 bad secondarys. He caught 5 TDs for the regular season. Like I said, Ashley Lelie money.

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Id be willing to give him more money then Lelie, but not that much more. I hope we at least make an attempt.

9. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

On only 38 catches he had 725 yards for a 19.1 average and 5 tds. Not spectacular, granted, but still worth a look. I think he's better than Lelie, and worth a tiny bit more.
    Stallworth also put up 139 on Washington and 111 on Carolina.
    He's a pretty big step up from Moulds as far as being a threat that draws attention away from AJ and also away from the LOS.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I hope we take a long hard look at him. his injuries worry me but other than that he's a darn good receiver, and better than any wr2 we've ever had.

if we can pick him up and travis henry...that clears the draft up a little meaning we don't necessarily have to address RB or WR.

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I agree that you wouldn't want to pay him too much money. But, since he's still young, I could see going as high as 3-4 years @ $6-12 million with little to no guaranteed money & a signing bonus of $1.5-2 million. To get him to sign off on it, you'd probably have to make the $12 million attainable, but contingent upon his staying healthy. If he stays healthy, $3 million a year is pretty cheap for a #2 WR that could be a #1 on many teams.

As for what he's done, imo, it's not so much what he's done, as what he brings to the team. He's a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field. He's a playmaker. Sending him deep would force the safeties to play him & not double up on AJ. They couldn't afford to let him get behind them.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'll agree with that. But, this draft is deep in WRs who can do the same. And much cheaper. I'm also just a little leary of players whose performance ramps up in a contract year.

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Hehe. Show me one that doesn't.

14. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Jamal Lewis?

I know, I know, rhetorical statement.

15. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I know one thing. If we are somehow able to land Stallworth and A. Green
    or Stallworth and T. Henry, we are a much better offensive team than last year...
    I think Stallworth might be fooling himself into believing that he is a #1WR, and that may cost us a shot at him...

16. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Stallworth Not Attracting Attention?

As scout.com pointed out earlier this week, league sources indicated that free agent WR Donte’ Stallworth might not get signed in the early part of free agency because there’s a belief that he wants too much money in signing bonus dollars ($10-$12 million). Sources believe the bonus money will come in much lower ($6-$8 million on a multi-year deal) based on his injury history but as the story goes, it only takes one team to over pay.

As noted previously, Stallworth, when healthy last season, was very productive but hamstring problems limited him to 12 games.

But because there teams with serious wide receiver issues (San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, and Tennessee Titans), the market for the six-year veteran could start to heat up.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=118&p=2&c=623755

17. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i think stallworth would be a great complementary reciever to andre...he just needs to sign for a very heavy incentive deal...one where it's all based on performance

18. GoPats

GoPats Veteran

Someone posted on another board that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance abuse program, meaning that one violation will result in a 4-game suspension. Might be why teams are a bit gun-shy right now...

19. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

Bryant > Stallworth

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

ouch...doesn't look good for him being in houston. If we did really want to sign him, would it be possible to structure is contract around that and playing time? cuz he also has injury concers. i guess kinda like incentives, right?