Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Don't Shut the Door on Vonta Yet

I'll bet their source was Vonta's agent. Tactics by the agent to stir interest from teams.

This is exactly what I think is going on, it's what happens when agents promise their clients money on an unsupported claim. Vonta probably called him and said 'Hey, where are all these offers you promised me?"

My guess at the situation is that Kubiak called him up and basically said "I want you back on the team and here's what we think is a fair contract value. If you want to explore the market and see if someone will pay you more, we would love the opportunity to match so just let us know."

My guess, based on internet and twitter searching, is that no team has pulled up a Brink's truck, and maybe Ralph Vitolo has called a few teams saying:

"Hey Vonta Leach is a FA and he's the best FB ever!!!!"
"How much"
"Only six million a year"
*click*
"Umm hello?"
"Oh ****! Vonta's going to kill me!"

He's now on to plan B. convince the Texans that there are lots of secret teams making secret offers....and if he was competent he would have included the Redskins.

I read somewhere that the Giants had no interest at that price, despite the PFT post.

My guess is that it will take a little while, but that after Vonta smacks his agent around a little bit, he'll call the Texans back and accept. I love what Vonta does, but the truth is that a zone-offense blocking FB is not all that marketable.

Nobody wants to pay that much for an older fb, that is constantly in violent collisions and really is only good for one purpose.

We don't even give him the ball in short yardage situations.

Vonta, get off of it. Sign the contract we are offering and join your teammates.

Nobody wants to pay that much for an older fb, that is constantly in violent collisions and really is only good for one purpose.

We don't even give him the ball in short yardage situations.

Vonta, get off of it. Sign the contract we are offering and join your teammates.

Bang! Repped.

I'd like Vonta back. But if that money is available to spend on a WR, I'd rather add a WR. Vonta's a good player, probably the top 3 at his position. He's like defensive meat tenderizer, softening up the defense all game. At the end of the day though, he's not an integral part of many offenses in the league and that should put his value down somewhere below the asking price.

That's a good point.

I could see the texans keeping a guy on the practice squad (in case james got hurt) to play fb though.

Im still neutral on resigning leach if he is asking for crazy money. Quite a few reasons to keep him, quite a few for letting him walk.

I really don't see the reason for letting him go, yeh he is asking for a lot of money but with us not signing nmandielqrst and going with jo-jo instead I think we should have the money. So why even take the chance that I am right and that a FB can make or break even a talented HB. Trade him next yr if you need to free up the cap. But dude can catch dude can block, he can even run on occasion. We got a real shot with this team not just to make the playoffs but to really finally do something once we get there (oilers). The O rocked last year don't mess with it.

Does anyone have an update on Vonta?

According to battleredblog.com this morning he is being courted by the Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Cowboys, and us.

Maybe there will be a decision today.

Does anyone have an update on Vonta?

According to battleredblog.com this morning he is being courted by the Ravens, Broncos, Giants, Cowboys, and us.

Maybe there will be a decision today.

This has been floating around for the last 24 hours. But there is no info about how serious any of the other teams are further than simply inquiries.

A person close to me said he saw him last night at a restaurant. Said "he looked very very happy, was smiling a lot and looked like he was celebrating something. Was with wife/gf and others."

Wouldnt be surprised if we hear something on this front soon. Could be texans, another team, or that maybe he has received some offers he really likes. Take it for what it's worth...

I really don't see the reason for letting him go, yeh he is asking for a lot of money but with us not signing nmandielqrst and going with jo-jo instead I think we should have the money. So why even take the chance that I am right and that a FB can make or break even a talented HB. Trade him next yr if you need to free up the cap. But dude can catch dude can block, he can even run on occasion. We got a real shot with this team not just to make the playoffs but to really finally do something once we get there (oilers). The O rocked last year don't mess with it.

I love Leech, but you can never spend 6 mil a year on a fb. Especially one that blocks, catches 2 passes a game MAYBE, and isn't a run threat. Impossible. Would rather chase down another DB.

I love Leech, but you can never spend 6 mil a year on a fb.
No team will give Leach that. Maybe a $6 million bonus. Hopefully, the Texans have saved enough with the recent cuts to re-sign Leach to a fair contract for both sides.

Where did you guys hear Leach was asking for $6 mil/yr??
The current highest paid FB is under contract with the Eagles - $11 mill over 3 yrs and only 6.5 of that is guaranteed. At the risk of repeating myself, I say pay him 4-4.5 per for 3-4 yrs. That's not break-the-bank money for a hard-nosed pro bowler who paves the way for Foster and helps keep Schaub upright.

Anyone else notice it's Philly again doing what it takes to keep quality on their team.

The current highest paid FB is under contract with the Eagles - $11 mill over 3 yrs and only 6.5 of that is guaranteed. At the risk of repeating myself, I say pay him 4-4.5 per for 3-4 yrs. That's not break-the-bank money for a hard-nosed pro bowler who paves the way for Foster and helps keep Schaub upright.

Anyone else notice it's Philly again doing what it takes to keep quality on their team.

4-5 a year is alot of cash for a fb. I would seriously rather spend that on CB number two.

I love Leech, but you can never spend 6 mil a year on a fb. Especially one that blocks, catches 2 passes a game MAYBE, and isn't a run threat. Impossible. Would rather chase down another DB.

I heard he was askin for 3 if he askin for six then I take back what I said

Are you talking about Weaver? I'm pretty sure he was cut by the Eagles earlier in the week.

Leach is worth every penny.

He may not be the guy putting the point on the board but he is the guy opening the hole for the guy putting points on the board.
Your GSA he's worth $6 mil. I'll go for $3-$3.5 mil of Bob's money but more than that, take a hike.

Are you talking about Weaver? I'm pretty sure he was cut by the Eagles earlier in the week.

I can't find an article confirming that anywhere. Not sayin' it ain't true, I just haven't seen it in writing anyplace.

However, I did find this
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Weaver_deal_done.html

Last year they made Weaver the highest paid FB in the game. And for about 3-3.5 mil per

And Leach is worth that IMHO.

man, folks are always going on about how cheap McNair is. It ain't uncle Bob who's cheap, it's his fanbase.

Weaver was cut by Philly a few days ago so the benchmark of a high salary for a FB is now gone. I want Vonta back on the team but at a reasonable salary.

Back