Don't look for DD much before week 4

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by edo783, Aug 14, 2006.

1. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

These quotes are from Kubes today (Monday) and it really seems like he isn't looking for DD much before week 4.

(on how much work Domanick will be able to handle when he comes back) “Well, you’d like to have a lot, that’s just part of football. It’s hard to go out and play without the work. With his situation, we have to do what’s right. We want to get something out of this year. We have to do what we have to do to get him to that point, and we’re not going to hurt him in the preseason because I think he needs the extra reps. We’re going to be smart with that. If Domanick is full strength for this football team, be it in week four, week five or week six he’s going to help this football team win, so we have to be smart with that.”

(on Domanick needing reps during the preseason) “I don’t want to answer that right now. I think that would be hard, that would be very hard to do. I think he’d tell you the same thing. I don’t know, stranger things have happened. Let’s wait and see.”

2. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

This whole DD situation really bothers me. He's been out for a long time, and I'm not so sure anymore that he'll ever be ready. Week 4 sounds like a great estimate, but this injury has already taken way more time than "predicted" earlier. At this point I'm just hoping that DD will have a working knee for the rest of his life, and if we're real lucky he'll continue to play for us.

Time will tell, but alot of time has passed already :I

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

After I read it I thought Kubiak was just thorowing numbers out there without any certainty as to when DD comes back. I may be wrong though.

4. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

I think Kubes is just saying DD take your time, BUT if takes too long then don't expect to be #1 RB when you come back. I heard Rick Smith was quoted as saying they wanted to give him time, but there comes a time to play through pain. I think they feel he is being overly cautious about his knee

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

All we have really, is a bunch of speculation, but if that was my knee I sure would be cautious too! :)

6. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

No need to duck-n-over on that one, it was a valid concern coming in, and it's not looking any better.
    That said, I think this Offense is designed to make even "second-echelon" RBs look good, so that we didn't need to waste a #1 on an RB.

7. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

TROUBLEMAKER!! ;)

8. Smash_Mouth_Mario

Smash_Mouth_Mario Veteran

I'm glad. Keep him out until he's fully healed. No need to rush it. Especially with the knee.

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

:fireball:

That's totally valid, I just don't think that Reggie is our kind of RB. I really thought DD would be able to be back for the beginning of this season and at least play 3/4's of it.

I still like the way our draft turned out regardless of DD's health.

10. Smash_Mouth_Mario

WL will be better than DD. Especially on after-the-tackle or after-the-catch extra yardage.

11. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Man...just the luck of this team. DD gets hurt beyond repair after signing a relatively large contract. I was never a fan of his really, but this just sucks more.

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I wanted Reggie Bush for the same reasons but I can honestly admit that a lot of what makes him attractive is stuff that Kubiak would probably rather he not be doing. I don't exactly see him as a "Make your one cut and head upfield" kind of RB.

I think Domanick Davis "healthy" would be literally a beast in this offense. If he could stay healthy for entire seasons he'd own one of the Pro Bowl slots for AFC running backs. He runs the way this offense runs. Lundy does too but one small part of a single preseason game does not make him the perfect fit and better than Domanick Davis. That's a ridiculous thing to say. "Big John Wells" ripped the Saints for 60+ yards in a single half back in 2002 and he's not better than Domanick Davis.

---------------------------
    Edit

But having said that I want to add that I'm excited about Lundy and I want to see more of what he did Saturday night. I think we're in good shape with Davis, Lundy, Taylor, and Morency. I don't even think we need Antowain Smith but they'll probably keep him and put one of the kids on the practice squad. That's cool too.

13. GrandPa

GrandPa Rookie

If this offense is so good that you only need a "second-echelon" running back, why doesn't every NFL team run it? That way no team would ever need to waste a #1 pick on a RB.

Seriously what is so "special" and if it is so special why have not all the other teams adopted the same style.

If you think about it, it makes absolutely no sense. Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

Someone please enlighten me as to what it is and why only we can run it with scrubs but no one else can.

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Why is the 3-4 a good fit for some teams and not everyone? Why did some teams take a bunch of undersized wideouts and field the Run and Shoot? This offense appears to be about taking parts that most teams don't need/use and putting them into situations where they can be successful.

Take lighter and quicker linemen (when the rest of the NFL is going for the big heavies) and quick decisive RB's that aren't lightning fast or exceptionally powerful and create a seam for them to run through all while you're rolling your mobile QB out and keeping everybody honest. The only part of the equation that's really different from what a lot of other teams do is the blocking scheme and much like the 3-4 it's being run by more than just one or two teams. The Falcons are doing it too now. My memory isn't what it used to be but I think there is one other team (besides Houston, Denver, and Atlanta) that's doing this. Hey we were trying to do it before Capers and Pendry left, they just didn't know how to do it right.

15. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Baltimore is the other team that runs the zone blocking scheme.

16. texman8

texman8 Veteran

Maybe Texans will put DD on PUP list.:poker:

17. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

All Kubes was saying is that DD needs to get at full strength as soons as possiable, because only then can he truly help this team. If that does that happen until week 4 or 5, Kubes is ok with that. If DD is place on the PUP list he can not play until week 7. Considering the Texans play the Cowgirls on week 6, I really think that is a last resort.

18. Smash_Mouth_Mario

Thanks for the "EDIT." I agree w/you 100% that DD would be a beast in the Kubiak offense. In fact, DDs even a better fit than Lundy. But the thing that I didn't like about DD is that when there's nothing down the middle he gets stuck: tackled and dropped to the grass. He's a powerful "little" package. But he's not that powerful.

I just wanted a RB that could hammer the middle and carry guys with him. Or at least evade, get hit, and still keep going 4-5 MORE yards. That's what I see in Lundy. He can create more than DD. Not, this does not mean that WL will just freelance. No. To the contrary. He seems like a great system-back. But also can create more yardage on his own while staying w/in the Kubs offense.

19. TFL

TFL Veteran

It's a one cut and go system the running back does not have to think all to much and does not really need power or agility. The blockers or able to take out the defensive lineman with cut blocks and double team blocks to the second level.

The reason why some coachs don't run it becuase they do not know how to run it example Pendry and crew ran it, but did not do it the way it is suppose to run.

20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I didn't know about the Ravens but the Falcons run a version of it and the Packers are trying to install a version this year.