Don't jump ship

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Aug 25, 2008.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Its preseason. Don't give up on the team already. We aren't going to be making any major coaching changes or personnel changes at this point in the season. Kubiak has said many times that he likes guys who go through camp with him.

If we start out 0-4, 1-3, etc. Don't give up. We have a tough opening schedule and a new offensive scheme. It'll take some time.

If Greenwood, Weaver, Reeves, or Green are getting significant playing time, its because they give us the best chance to win. I trust Kubiak. He hasn't given me reason to doubt him yet.

Keep the faith people. Many of you sound like you're already looking ahead to 2009 before 08 even begins. I personally think we have a very good team this year. :texflag:

2. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't think any of us are giving up, g02. I just think we're tired of seeing the same type defensive play from last season.

It's been too damn long of an off-season to give up after a dadgum pre-season game. :)

I'm here for the long haul, buddy. :fans:

3. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

i'm staying on the ship.......cuz i can't swim :pirate:

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The defense looks a lot different to me, personally. The results may be the same, but the calls are different.

Criticism is fine, but the sky is falling routine is too much at this point. Calling for heads on a platter (even if it is Smith, who is not a good coach, don't ge me wrong) isn't going to achieve much. Like I said, I highly doubt we see much of a coaching change after the preseason

5. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I've been on the ship since the beginning and have tied myself to a mast. I do suspect, however, that this team needs to make some changes in order to move from okay to good, especially in the DC and RB areas.

Criticism does not equal the absence of love.

6. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

If I can brave a 2-14 season, I think I can handle a 1pt. loss to the Cowputas. :texflag:

7. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

I do not see anybody jumping, only the disgust of seeing promise in a team then getting the play we had friday

8. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Never jump ship!! That is for Buccaneers, not Texans!

9. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Don't let that 1 point loss fool you- they got seriously outplayed in the first half when it was 1's vs. 1's.

Again, not sure who is being refered to as jumping ship, but man, it's time to put the oars away and bring out the motors...it's about time we get going !!

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

As I watched the first half, I kept thinking these (defense) guys are not in correct positions as if the defensive play called was not shared with all. The turn overs were great but I thought we didn't do anything much to get them. The ball sort of ended up in our hands. Mario got his hands on one but the other two...? Also, the talent on the defense is much better and there is no reason not to have QB pressure by game three. I understand the coaches will hold back some until regular season, but guess what so does the other team's offense. Reeves? I am behind him and it may be a good thing as he may need all the help he can get. He supposedly can stick WRs and then turn and run with them. OK, great. Let's see it. We have a very tough schedule. Time for some of these guys to get it together. Uh, Weaver, you listening?

O side of ball, 3 kids are showing me something. Based strictly on performance, Super Slick Slaton should be the starter with Taylor and Walker as change of pace. Green and Brown will donate their cap space to Ric Smith to use to bring in free agents later in season as he always does.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I will never jump ship. I might be prone to being upset and trashing certain players or whatever, but the Texans are my team, good, bad or indifferent, I am with the Texans all the way.

I was an Oiler fan from high school in the late 60s until they left. If I can handle that, I can handle the Texans. LOL

12. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

After having watch 4 other preseason games, and only 1 team didn't completely not stink, I feel better. At least we weren't the Browns or any number of teams whose 1's did much less and worse than ours.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I may have re-arranged the deck furniture on the Titanic during the 2-14 season, but I never thought about jumping ship....

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah, but did you cry when Leonardo died? I did.

15. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

LMAO!! Not quite, but I did help Kate out.... :pirate:

Revolution likes this.
  16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I cried when he was sketching the................oops! Nevermind

Revolution likes this.
  17. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

That is because he was not drawing a nakkid :hobie:

I cheered during that scene.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  18. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

No problem here. As a fat man I float and there is no need to jump ship.

One thing though. Did any one else seem to notice that, in the first quarter we were trying to force the ball to AJ. To me it seemed like him and Schaub just weren't on the same page. I noticed it early and was wondering if anyone else noticed it. If I wasn't just halucinating that could have been part of our offenses problem. I have ultimate faith in Andre but he may need more reps for him and Schaub to get things lined out. If you think about it the offense actually clicked better when AJ went out of the game. I am not knocking him for sure. Just stating that he may have some rust that he needs to knock off before he gets back to the form we know he has.

On another note. Just think of it this way. Since we don't have a clue who will be our starting RB in week one neither will Pittsburgh.

Ok now I'll take a big ol' gulp from the Deep Steel Blue Koolaid jug and say... IFour WRs and Schaub are on the same page and IFour RBs can get a running game going our DL will be more rested and be able to rush the QB better and thus our DBs will not get burned as often because the other teams QB will have less time to make reads. (I know, I don't really believe it either. Just dreaming.)

:fans:

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, I thought at least some of Schaub's initial problems were because he was trying really hard to force the ball to Andre instead of just letting the offense flow.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Shh! w-e a-r-e s-n-e-a-k-i-n-g up on them! We will beat Pittsburgh 31-13. 250 combined yards on ground and Jacoby scores a TD on a reverse. Ahman Green rushes for 110 yards but stumbles on his way back to the field when Ron Dayne sneaks onto the bench (no one knows the RBs anyway) and ties Green's shoe laces. Defensive Coordinator Richard Smith moons the cameras as Jacques Reeves points to the "spectacle" and mouthes "I love you mom!" as he wiggles the #1 finger at the crowd. We are now 1-0. McNair pops champagne and yells everyone loves a winner. Kubiak looks dazed and say something no one has heard before.."We are gonna take it one game at a time."

Drew_Smoke likes this.