Don Banks: Kubiak appears to be out of answers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...iak-houston-texans-matt-schaub/#ixzz2hpc5k8Gr

DocBar likes this.
  2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

NFL Films did one of their "A Football Life" episodes on Shula this season. It was AMAZING.

I've always respected him, but never knew some of the details. He NEVER had a losing season in 33 years as a head coach in the NFL. That one blew my mind. (edit: just looked at wiki, and it says he had two losing seasons. NFL Films got that one wrong, but still very impressive record!)

I know Bob McNair wanted Kubiak to be his Tom Landry or Don Shula. And I cannot blame the man for trying.

But you cannot will a coach to greatness. They either posses the potential or they don't.

Kubiak gives me a Norv Turner vibe. Great coordinator, and competent enough to put together teams that can make playoff runs. But by the same token, they do not seem to have that so-called "it factor" that inspires teams to do great things.

3. sandmanx

sandmanx Veteran

Hopefully Bob reads that article. I've never seen a coach get less out of this much talent, with the possible exception of Jim Schwartz(who managed to take 12-4 talent to 4-12 last year.)

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Good read......8 years is enough...time to upgrade from flip phone kubiak to an i phone caliber coach!!! Make it happen bob!

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That is extremely hyperbolic. He hasn't been overflowing with talent until the last couple years- at which time, they won back to back division titles and two playoff games. That doesn't make him Lombardi, but it also doesn't put him at the bottom of the head coaching list. Let's see how the season plays out. Certainly, he should be held accountable if he can't get this team into the playoffs. This team does have a lot of talent... Not only that but it is primarily his offensive system/side of the ball that is costing the team these games.

6. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

While I agree with the overall sentiment of the article, I think it's unfair to compare coaches from the 60's, 70's, and 80's to present day coaches.

Salary cap and revenue sharing are the great equalizer, and it's more difficult to stay great, or even good, for extended periods of time in present day NFL.

Runner likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

When you have hitched your wagon to an immobile noodle armed QB .... designed the offense to protect him and give him easy throws and he starts throwing them to the opponent .... you are screwed.

I take this back to the Texans redzone issues .... It starts and ends with Schaub. He cant make tight throws , he cant extend plays , they settle for FG's instead of TD's.

Either Gary catches lightning in a bottle with Keenum .... or he's likely taking a long vacation , unless Bob is willing to give him a shot with a QB out of the draft.

8. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

Solomon pointed out Kubiak's losing streaks in an article earlier this week. He compared Kubes to Belichek. In 14 years Belichek has had 3 3 game losing streaks, 2 of which were in his first year. I realize Belichek is the best coach in the league but Kubes isn't anywhere close at this point. I was in favor of keeping him several years ago, hoping he would grow as a coach but I just don't see it. I really like Kubiak, but I think ultimately he'll end up like Capers, a great coordinator and mediocre HC.

9. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

I count three in his first season alone. Solomon never one to mix too many facts into his blog posts.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Kubiak takes a business like approach to running the whole organization. In a business, not only do you have to find the right people, but you've got to develop them as well. I'm sure it's that approach that endeared Kubiak to Bob's heart. Because it's something he understands, something he's done.

Kubiak built this organization on that model & looking on the past two seasons I'm sure Bob thinks it worked.

However, there are some differences between a football team & a Fortune 500 company. For one, Wall Street only wants to see improvement year over year. Beating estimates by $0.05 boosts investor confidence, & why not, you've got all the time in the world.

Football... you don't get that long. Careers are much shorter & finding that perfect mix of talent, chemistry, coaching needed to achieve that singular goal is difficult when you're dealing with free agency & the scavenging of coaching talent once you've demonstrated success. So when you get it right, you've got to take your shot.

This team needs to evolve, we're past expansion team, way past it. & they need to take that next step & stop acting like one. Not only the field, but from the very top all the way down. McNair's got to expect more than incremental improvement, Gary's got to demand the best from his staff & if they aren't able to deliver, he's got to find someone who can & Rick's got to get that salary cap thing figured out & figure out the trade thing & FA thing.

11. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I may have misquoted. It looks like he had 2 4 game losing streaks in 2000, but they won the SB the next year.

When you factor our record against playoff teams (not so good), our record in nationally televised games (not so good) and the losing streaks mentioned above and I think it's time for us to move on. I really like Kubes and want him to succeed but as I mentioned earlier I think he'll end up being a strong OC and a mediocre HC. Sucks for us

12. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Not defending Kubiak. But free agency and salary cap have really changed the dynamics Of the league.

Better have a great QB .

13. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

During the 8-8, 9-7, and 6-10 seasons, the incremental improvement, baby step, build the "right way" (haha) approach was praised by Kubiak's supporters. They claimed that was how Landry, Noll, Cowher and other legends did it, and it guaranteed a decade of playoff appearances for the Texans once that milestone was reached. We just had to be patient so Kubiak could add his name to the coaching legends list.

The argument that the league had changed as you describe above, as well as the need for faster progress, was not received well.

Therefore I find your post ironic.

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Gee thanks for pointing out that Gary isn't a HoF coach. Think that's pretty damn obvious by the dazed and confused look on the sidelines. Guess that's why they pay Don Banks the big bucks!

15. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Kubiak hand-picked the man managing free agents and the cap for this team. Kubiak's fingerprints are everywhere.

16. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

What team have you been watching?

17. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

Tell that to the Packers, Patriots, Colts, and Steelers...Ravens....Etc, etc...

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Season isn't over yet.

19. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Kubiak and Wade + Rick did changed this team from losing to winning team. However, just winning is not enough anymore. We need a team that compete for SB. I think this start from replacing QB that can leads us to SB or at least competing for it.

20. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

[​IMG]

UH OH

#suck4chuck