Dominic Davis

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JetNation, Nov 21, 2006.

1. JetNation

JetNation Rookie

What do you guys expect from him when he does return next yr?

2. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

if he returns, which i hope he does

3. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

At least 1500 all purpose yards! He's done it before, I hope he can do it again.

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

IF he returns, I expect him to play one or two games and then bang his knee up and be out for a while. Obviously I don't want that to happen but truthfully I can see it happening. I hope he can comeback strong and finish his career good but at this point nobody has any clue. I don't think the staff knew it was this bad until 4 months after the draft.

5. Big78

Big78 Veteran

im under the impression that his knee is pretty much done. He will come back and have to sit out most of the drills in training camp pretty soon after it starts b/c the bone on bone will be too painful to play on for extended periods of time. if he makes it to pre season in my opinion and can actaully play a half with out too much trouble, i will consider myself proven wrong and he might make it half way through the season. other wise im afraid i dont have much hope. But rest-assured, i hope to God i am proven completly wrong and if so i look foreward to eating crow all season. i can only hope thats the case. Any one have a Miracle-o-matic? or does any one have some spare cartillage they can spare that we can donate to be insirted into DD's knee. the wonders of modern medicine right? :fishing:

6. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

I see him retiring. Never to carry the ball again. I thank him for the job he has done, and I expect the team to move on. Oh and then I thank god that Casserly is gone and we will not him giving stupid money to players when they are a huge risk to never complete the contract. (Davis, Weigert, Walker, Glenn, and Coleman to name a few given money when there best production had already past, or before they were due to get the jump in pay).

7. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Greenwood, Smith, Wade, just to add to your list. Yeah, I also am pretty sure DD is done, but I would like to be proven wrong.

8. eric138

eric138 Veteran

Wasn't Davis only making $300,000.00 a year while he was playing. Even though he was beaten up and may not ever play again I think he did deserve a good amount of money for the job well done. He busted his ass and sometimes carried this entire team on his shoulders for pennies compared to others that were not producing like he was. He earned what ever amount of money he was given.

SeƱor Stan likes this.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

His salary for 2005 was $380,000.00 but he did receive a $ 5,000,000.00 signing bonus, making his cap hit at about 1.5 million.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=davis&player=2936

With that said, he gave us way more than a guy that was drafted simply to come out of the backfield on 3rd downs and return punts. The guy busted his butt, even with a horrendous line in front of him. P

Problem is, he just isn't cut out (physically) to be an every down back.

10. Texan_Bill

Someone was kind enough to post this link on another thread: http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

Davis' base salary for 2006 is 1.7 million with a cap hit of 3.8 mill.

Not quite the steal he was his first three seasons....

11. Frills

Frills Veteran

Fully expect him to show up in a skirt

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

That's a no-class thing to type.

13. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Think of it as compensation for being a great running back on a poor offensive team:yikes:

14. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I wish people would spell his name right.

15. Texan_Bill

I hear you there, and don't have that big of a problem with it other than he has been injury prone. But, if you look at any of my posts about DD, they have all been positive. I have cited things like what you said in your post, and the fact that we got way more out of him than expected.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, I don't think he'll play again. We should prepare accordingly in the offseason. In other words, we should pick up a RB.

Your avatar is quite disturbing. lol

17. Frills

Frills Veteran

Mario is playing with a jacked up foot that will have to be cut on at the end of the season. Wong worked his hindparts off to get back to playing after his injury. Faggins, Carr, Mathis, Peek and hell even Boseli all have fought or at least tried to fight through injuries and didn't quit.

DD has stated he won't have surgury again, and won't play until it feels 100% which the Docs told him will never happen.

When idolizing DD, ask yourself one question. When he caught all the dump off passes and passes in the flats, did he ever chip an End or ever block any player comming on a blitz? You'll find the easy route is to let the defender through and catch the pass Carr somehow managed to release before getting firmly planted.

85% of Carr's lack of pocket presence I attribute directly to DD's complete disregard to block or learn his assignments. His attitude is that of a silent TO, he just wanted his numbers and is not a team player.

18. WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear Veteran

Hate to say it but its pretty much the word around the Texans! Davis was told his knee was going to always hurt and that he would have to play through the pain. He said he would not play until his knee felt better and he had confidence in it. That was about the time Kubiak slipped up and made a comment about playing through pain being apart of football and the rumors hit the papers of Davis being cut. I am surprised they did not cut him then! It just my opinion which is worth nothing, but I think they wanted to cut him for not being willing to take the field but with the decision to pass on Bush and the recent new contract they coul dnot handle the fall out after 2-14 and their draft day decision. I hope Davis comes back but I think its a pipe dream.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I doubt he comes back either, and I am not idolizing DD. I'd like to see us go after Adrian Peterson or another back with a nice mix of speed and power. By the accounts I've read, however, DD has the same injury that ended Terrell Davis' career, and Curtis Martin is now experiencing. If DD is done, I'd rather see people just say good luck and goodbye than flippant remarks about his toughness. I stand by my earlier statement.

20. real

real Guest

If I were DD, I wouldn't play any more...Take the money you've earned and invest and carry on with life...

Your health is one thing that shouldn't be compromised..