Dom Davis

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by snoopmeg2002, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snoopmeg2002

snoopmeg2002 Rookie

When DD becomes a free agent, does anyone think that he'll resign with the Texans or will he go somewhere else?

2. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

It is hard to tell. It all depends on if he can stay healthy next year. Why would we resign someone who is always hurt? I guess it depends on how much money he wants too. I believe if he can start every game next year he will have a pro bowl type year. So we will just have to wait and see.

3. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I think the texans should try to sign him to an extention, he's only making like $500,000 a year and has rushed for a 1000 yards in each of the past two years and has scored 22 touchdowns.

4. BattleRedRaider

BattleRedRaider All Pro

I agree. Texans should hold on to him.

5. gcolby

gcolby Veteran

2005 is his last season under his current contract.

He'll be re-signed.

6. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

DD knows what he has done for Houston. As with other players, I think he has loyalty to team for giving him a chance. I agree we should offer him a decent contract after a few games in 2005 if this is final year. I think he would want a stay as he would be a big part of the next few years. :thumbup

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

He will not have reached 4 years of service and will be a restricted free agent. Houston will tender him at one of three levels which wil allow them to match any offer. If not matched lowest level the Texan would get a 4th round, mid level 1st round, highest level 1st and 3rd round.

after the 2006 season Davis would become an unrestricted FA.

8. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I think if DD can stay healthy then he can turn into a franchise back, and if he does that, then he will cost some big time money, I think that we would need to try to resign him as sooon as possible, before he costs too much, hey he might need to be franchised in the next two years.

9. Skrobes66

Skrobes66 Rookie

I am not sold on Davis yet. I think he is a good player but he makes too many mistakes (fumbles). Anyone think we can get a 1st round pick and maybe a little more for him and go after one of the three top backs (Benson, and the two Auburn backs) in the draft?

10. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I'm not sold on Davis either but he didnt fumble once after the first two games so thats not a reason.

The Pats only gave up a 2nd for Corey Dillion. We will be lucky to get that.

11. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

DD is an absolutely fantastic back to have. I'll even go as far to say hes a top 7 all-around runningback(in terms of rushing AND recieving). With that said, I REALLY hope Hollings starts to get more carries. He was a guy everyone had pegged in as a mid-to-late 1st rounder the year before his draft year and his huge injury.I say phase Wells out all together, slide Hollings into about 30% of the snaps while letting DD rest while Hollings is in there.Works well for both backs as it keeps DD fresh and gives Hollings more touches/downs.

12. texansfan88

texansfan88 All Pro

To anyone that doubts DD, 12 touchdowns speak for themselves

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

He is an excellent goal line back, I'll give him that

14. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

sorry fiddy but how many "goal line" backs rush for 1,188 yards in a season ?? Hasnt he shown you he can be a featured back ? i guess he'll have to go and pass emitt smiths rushing record and then maybe just maybe you will say he is a featured back ! :loser

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

DD is solid WHEN healthy. IMO.. but he can't stay healthy. The 2 games Wells filled in for DD, he put up just as good numbers. (I am not a big Wells fan either). What I see in these threads whether we are talking about Miller,Moses or DD is you have people that say they are solid and people that say they are great. Well, they are the best we have ever seen in a Texan uniform, so we get blinded by the success.. But if you took a look around the NFL and people that play those same positions, you'd find these guys average (nfl wise).

BTW .. 1000 yards isn't much anymore.

I like DD, but there are upgrades that can be made. I am sure all of you would think the R. Brown would look great in a Texan uniform with his 4.3 speed and yall probably wouldn't mind seeing DD become a 3rd down back.

16. twinkletwinkle

twinkletwinkle Rookie

DD can catch. Don't underestimate how important it is to catch. He had a couple early bad fumbles last year and got over it. He has some flash and some good moves. He is like a Westbrook with much more power. I say sign him quick before he has a Pro Bowl year, and costs too much. DD has got the skills.

17. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

True, 1000 yards isnt much, however his projected numbers from last season would be 1300 yards, not 1000. Not to mention 650 receiving yards.A 1950 total yard back aint too shabby, IMO.Let's not forget he was 4th in TDs last season. Some may say goalline back, however 6 points is 6 points anyway you slice it.

Oh and you'll definetly hear me screaming on draft day if we take Ronnie Brown. Not screaming of joy however. There's no need to add another runningback when we dont have a single RB on the roster even 25 years old.

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

For more than half a season Dom’s longest run of the year was 12 yards (game 10 vs Green bay he finally had a run longer than 12 yards). That means that he only had a run barely longer than a first down run in 6 of the 10 remaining games and the Texans are primarily a running football team. Dom caught a ton of dump passes but he rarely scored off of them because he does not have break away speed and his receptions were not exactly patterns…they were safety valve passes. The only back that had as many touches in the passing game was Westbrook and he had many more receiving TD’s than Dom had. So, in my eyes, that means his stats were largely the product of the system. Can he put up last years stats again? Sure, but take a look at his stats from 09/26 to 10/31 where he averaged 1.2, 2.5, 2.5, & 2.5 yards per carry on consecutive weeks. Dom just does not run the ball well unless he is 100% healthy...and so far, that is rare. The season is just too short for us to not bring in another back. It only takes one game of 1.2 ypc to knock us out of the playoffs.

19. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

???

Against Tennessee, 41 yards.
    At Chicago 44 yards.

Edit:Whoops, you said half a season.

If we improve the offensive line, get a #2 WR in this offseason, can he put up those stats again? Why not?? Upgrades at these positions will make it even easier for him to produce.

LT had 6 games this year where he averaged less than 3 YPC. Hell, thats even 1 more than DD had all year, COUNTING the game he missed with an injury.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I bet LT didn't go to week 10 before having his very FIRST 11+ yard run. The season is over by then if that is all you get out of your backs in a conservative running offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.