Dom Capers

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by brakos82, Jan 29, 2008.

1. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Looks like a member of the Texans 'D-saster' era is going to big D.

Link - :cowboy1:

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Yea, the suck 3-4.

3. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

Very intriguing, I can see many a Cowboy fan drinking Maalox.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think any 3-4 that has DeMarcus Ware at OLB cant suck. They just need some new guys in the secondary.

5. TexansSeminole

Haha, maybe not. But Dom Capers wasn't exactly a good coach at Miami or here in Houston on defense.

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

give him talent (which he'll have in Dallas) and i'm sure he'll do fine.

7. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Capers wasnt a bad coach. Our defense has been terrible since he left and what coach could win with Carr at QB and Asserley feeding him horrible players. For all the posters still reveling in the ancient 19-10 win over the 'rival' Cowboys, you would think that some would remember that Capers delivered that win to them.

Capers failed as coach but i don't think it was due to his own shortcomings but moreso due to bad QB play, bad talent evaluation, and poor ownership trying to coddle and make excuses for DC's play.....just like many on this board did right up till the day he was taken out with the trash.

I am not saying Capers was great but not even Belichik or Noll could win with Carr at QB and Casserly drafting for them.

8. Second Honeymoon

exactly.

9. TexansSeminole

Dude never addressed the safety position and drafted no linebackers for the future. How can you expect to be successful like that? I know he isn't the GM, but he was there for long enough to sway picks his way.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well they had palmer for a while , so i guess they'll try DC

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I feel sorry for Wade. Good guy that doesn't deserve what's in store for him whether it be this year or next year.

Jerry Jones is, and always will be an asshat. :elle:

12. Second Honeymoon

The GM failed to fill the Safety position. The one year we brought in Marlon McRee we had good play and went 7-9 in Year 3. Casserley let McRee leave in favor of Glenn Earl. The lack of Safety play is on Casserley not Capers, imho of course and I respect your opinion however you feel.

When you let quality veterans like Glenn, McRee, and Sharper go, its no surprise when your team dynamic goes to crap and you go 2-14. Capers didn't cut/release/trade those guys. Cass did. 2-14 was on Cass ultimately but Casserley bought himself another few months by throwing Capers under the bus.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

In all fairness to Dom Capers, he has been associated with some pretty good 3-4 defenses i.e. Pittsburgh in '92 and the Panthers... I think the D sucked here because Fangio as much as anyone had to do with it.. The personnel in Dallas gives him a lot more to work with than he had in Miami...

Don't forget, Wade was an assisant coach with the Oilers (LB's including Dr. Doom), whenever the Oilers introduced the league to the 3-4.

With that said, they could make a formidable duo....

Oh, but wait. It's the Cowboys..... Nevermind.

Lest we also forget, Wade has a hot daughter...

[​IMG]

14. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

One day I will understand your inconsistancy as to when you place blame on coaches and GM. Casserly did a lot of bad things in the draft, especially making horrible trades and giving up a lot of picks for bad players. At the same time he was drafting players Capers said would fit his system, the 3-4. TJ and Babin did not fit a 3-4 defense, so that part has to belong to Capers.

The defense has been way below average for 6 years and Capers a so called defensive guru, genius, or what ever the hell you want to call him chose players poorly (poor player analysist) and let go players who were a heck of a lot better than the players he said would fit his system.

The GM has to work hand-N-hand with the HC in order to get players that fit the system that is being put in and run, you can not blame just one guy.

15. Second Honeymoon

quality avatar change. much better 'resolution'.

oh yes, Wade's daughter is a total hottie. Maybe Romo doesn't have to look too far for a new girlfriend post-Jessica. :)

16. Second Honeymoon

what is inconsistent? its Casserley's responsibility to find players to improve the team. he failed to do so. so the failures of Casserley, of which there are legion, are all because Capers told him who to draft? Casserley was always so anxious to try and prove that he knew more than anyone else and it ultimately cost the Texans dearly. I put that on Casserley. Capers can only play with the players given to him. Casserley always fell in love with workout warriors (Carr, Babin) and would forego common sense just to try and prove he knew more than average Joe fan.

look at how much the talent has improved since Casserley was kicked to the curb? Our GM was very bad, terminally bad, and there is nothing you can say to make me think otherwise. God Bless Rick Smith.

17. Texan_Bill

First:
    Capers is responsible for 4 years.

Second:
    2002 the Houston Texans were ranked 16th overall. Thats not 'way below average'
    2004 19th ranked overall Defense.

So two of Caper's four seasons, the D was middle of the pack.

Dom can be faulted for hiring his buddy Fangio, after Fangio was run out of Indy...

As far as being a guru, Pittsburgh's defense was pretty stout in 92. The Carolina Panthers had a good defense. Jacksonville's D wasn't too shabby... So if Capers is solely to blame for the Texans woes, maybe its the air or something because he has been mildly successful elsewhere.

18. Texan_Bill

Now with all of that said. I am GLAD Dom has departed, but lets be real when we are discussing the overall body of work.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I don't think you are accurately depicting the actual events and each needs to be handled separately as there is not such a bright line rule.

McCree and Foley for instance the coaches did not want retained so Casserly took no action to sign them.

Sharper was a total team decision as the doctors had concerns about his knee (which turned out to be true) and of course Casserly had cap concerns. I'd bet Casserly made final decision on this one but not without Capers' input.

Glenn was unique--they planned on keeping him and he asked to be let go.

Coaches often have much heavier input on who gets let go.

20. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Yall were missing my point I did not blame just one I blamed both. Bill I guess I forgot the D was that good those two years. SH, so the GM should just find players he likes and be damned what the HC, OC and DC say are players that would fit into there system? All of them have to be on the same page to get the players needed for a successful organization.

Blaming one for all the players is just foolish thinking, Capers had input on players and to say it was all Asserly's fault is not only wrong it is dead wrong.