Dom Capers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RWBinJax, Dec 19, 2005.

1. RWBinJax

RWBinJax Rookie

Sorry if I intrude on the Texans' home site, but I have noticed several threads asking that Capers be fired.

If I remember correctly, he guided the Panthers from ground zero to a Super Bowl game. He seems to me, as an outsider (and Jag fan), to be a pretty darn good coach.

I asked these questions in a couple of places but never got an answer. So, I'll ask again. Is there some friction between the owners and Capers? Is there a salary cap issue?

If you have a minute or two, please provide your thoughts.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Only went to the NFC Champisonshup game. No cap issue. Need to develop players and cohesion

3. RWBinJax

RWBinJax Rookie

My bad. Forgot he only got to the NFC championship game. I stand corrected, and thank you.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Capers had an all-star team of veterans on that Panthers team. That was no expansion team. As soon as those veterans started losing a step/retiring, the Panthers started going downhill and Capers got fired. He's a nice guy and a good defensive coordinator, but his HC skills are just all wacked up.

Probably his biggest problem is that he's loyal to coordinators that are clueless.

5. RWBinJax

RWBinJax Rookie

He started the Panthers team when Coughlin starterted the Jags. Neither had a bunch of all stars. Frankly, Capers out-coached Coughlin.

Both the Panthers and Jags a had a great "pool" selection. The Texans were also granted a great selection and played well in year 1, despite the record. What happened?

All I know is that you routinely kick our (Jaguars) butts. Want to try to do that to someone besides us for a change? I hate to be singled out each year.

6. big homey

big homey Veteran

Capers will get the axe because the fans won't respond well to keeping him, and McNair needs bodies in those seats. He is a victim of the terrible beast known as "The Fanbase".

7. UGA

UGA Rookie

Capers and Casserly are being canned because after 4 years we are back in a "rebuilding" stage. No coach should get more then 4 years without ever hitting the .500 mark. This organization was given a 3 year grace period being that we were an expansion team, and now we are worse then we were initially.

Caper's and Cass are good guys, but theyve done a horrible job here.

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

the fans don't respond well to a team did not have a lead until like the 6th game of year, has the same weaknesses for 4 years, and play a pretty uninteresting style of football. It is a production, not personal issue.

From all I can tell, Capers is a hardworking "salt of the earth" type of guy, but has only one plus .500 year in 8 years as a head coach. IMO, watching a decent guy not be productive at his job, yet maintain a high of professionalism is the downside of having a "public" profession.

Double Barrel likes this.
  9. RWBinJax

RWBinJax Rookie

Thanks for your comments.

10. touttail

touttail All Pro

Capers didn't guide the Panthers to a Super Bowl game! Where did you get that info?????

He was hired here because of his organizational skills having started up a franchise team, not for his coaching skills!

Bobby 119C:brickwall

11. touttail

touttail All Pro

Capers :homer: won't be here because he has done nothing to improve this team. His conservative coaching stinks!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby 119C:brickwall

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree, man. Well said. (the exact points I was going to bring up) :thumbup

I have nothing personal against the coach. It's just business. This 2-12 team needs an overhaul, and that usually includes the HC.

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think the reason capers has flopped is because head coach is too much for him to handle. a fundamental rule of leadership is being able to delegate authority. what little he has delegated, has been to poor individuals. by this i mean he stifled palmer, but gave fangio too much rope. what kept this from getting out of hand in the past was veterans on defense who knew better and made the guys around them better despite the circumstance ... offense has never had that luxory. also, his philosophy has lost him many fans and players. he knows nothing other as a head coach than brand new undeveloped teams and this has made him cautious to making mistakes. anyone who's every played a sport knows that if you focus solely on not making mistakes, that's when they happen. football is engrained in the players, his job as a head coach is to let them loose and put them in position to excell. he has to make it clear to everyone around him that he's going to win at all costs ... and since we've been debating that since he got here, he apparently hasnt done that.

capers was and is suited best for a defensive coordinator position because his duties are much more defined. it's as a DC that he's a teacher instead of a coach and that's his strong suit. i think it's his simpleness & softness that's made him unable to take the next step successfully. guys like belichick & cowher have a passion and need to win that's undeniable, although they go about it in entirely different ways. capers doesnt have the do or die mentality needed to carry a team.

14. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

We have to "rebuild" ourselves back to the pathetic level of an expansion team.

How sick is that! Thank you for wasting 4 years of my life Casserly!

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

We arent that bad off Erratic. We lost a step.. but we didnt revert to infancy. More capable coaching will give us a big boost.. but so will a couple of players in key areas.

We can be BETTER than we were last year by 2007. Meaning.. we can be back on track by the end of next season.. and be looking at playoff contention by 2007-2008.

16. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Capers. Man. I'm actually feeling bad for the guy - to the point I wish he would just be demoted to defensive coordinator.

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

THAT would be this team's best decision ever made. Somehow, some way, get him to except the position as DC and I'll get behind him 100%. No more pink soap, no more negative comments. The guy can coordinate a defense.

Someone said that he stifles the OC too much and gives the DC too much free reign (I think I agree with that) and that's exactly the opposite of what he should've been doing. He SHOULD be controlling a lot of the D and should realize that he's not the best offensive minded coach.

To cut through all the bull, Capers needs to see that he is a Defensive guy and that his judgement of others is too nice. If he can't deal with that, then not being a head coach in the first place will take care of that problem rather nicely. You're D is falling apart, while you let it, because you're too busy stifling the offense.

18. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

...very good post! IMO, Caper's philosophies or lack there of were and will be his down fall. He 'coaches not to lose' and is a micro-manager that has to have his hand on everything. He is not a problem solver (hence poor game planning) and is very rigid in his beliefs---how many times have we heard it was not his plan that was faulty but was the execution of that plan. It says a lot about his ability as a HC that -even into his 4th year- he has not been able to change this scenario. And, finally, I think Capers has lost some respect because of his failure to accept his share of the teams failure--it's kinda tough to correct your mistakes when you don't think you are making any...

19. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Rookie

I can agree with that too.

The fans want blood, and after going 2-12, if they didn't get it, you'd see a lot of empty seats next year.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

No matter what business you are in, results/growth/innovation are what keep your shareholders, customers and partners happy. Unfortunately for Capers we have a two sets of historicals that bear out a negative trend. He may be a great guy, he may be a defensive whiz, but the fact is is that it has not translated to wins and a better product. In the business world he would be better suited for a Director level position (DC) than a VP position (HC).