Dolphins again.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stingray, Feb 2, 2008.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

For some reason, I thought we played the Raiders this year at home. But I got my invoice today for my season tickets and the brochure stated that we play the Dolphins. This will be the third year in a row. I'm assuming we play the Raiders on the Road.

2. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

Yeah.

This is the third year in a row playing the Raiders away, too.

I'm not sure why.

3. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Its all about where you finished in your division. The Dolphins, Raiders, and Texans keep finishing last.

4. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

Why have we been playing the dolphins at home and the raiders away each of those years, though?

5. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Because of how the schedules were pre-determined.

Last year, we played the Raiders because we were playing the AFC West. We play the AFC West every 3 years and we alternate each of those years, home/away. The year before, we played the Dolphins because we were playing the AFC East. The other two times we played them, we were playing because we were each last in our respective divisions. Where those games were played had already been pre-set but not because of who the opponents (Houston/Oakland, Houston/Miami) but because of where the opponents were in their divisions (Last of AFC South vs. Last of AFC West/East.) When they set those schedules up during re-alignment, they weren't expect the same teams to finish last every year.

AnthonyE likes this.
  6. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

good explanation...you guys got it? Its clear as mud..lol..

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Cleveland is another frequent opponent that's been driven by a combination of scheduling formula and place finish over the past several years.

I'd rather play Oakland and Miami than San Diego and New England. Well get enough tough games to provide an adequate measuring stick.

Someone asked this same question wrt the Browns a few weeks ago. This explanation basically works the same for the Raiders, Dolphins and Browns as our opponents:

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=814842&postcount=15

8. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

I would rather be playing NE and San Diego every year. It would mean we were finishing first in our division.

9. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

And in '09 we will play the Dolphins again for a 4th year in a row, this time at their place. And it's possible that we play the Raiders again, at Reliant. That's only if the Raiders and Texans finish in the same spot in the standings.

10. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I don't think the Raiders will finish first.

BSofA04 likes this.
  11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Ok then, let me be more clear and complete the thought.

I would rather play Oak and Mia in '08 than NE and SD.

I would rather play whatever the top teams are from our intra-conference matchups in '09 because it means great things happened in '08.

12. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

The scheduling is actually pretty simple:

Every year you play your 3 division opponents home and away (6 games).

Every year you play a complete division in the other conference - rotating so every four years you play every division once (4 games).

Every year you play a complete division in your own conference other than your own - rotating so every three years you play every other division once (4 games).

In the remaining two divisions in your conference (not your own, and not the one you play completely), you play the team that finished in the same spot (1-4) as you did the previous year (2 games).

I'm not sure how the home/away is determined in the final two games, but everything else rotates home/away every four or three years.

What this means is that unless and until they change the method of scheduling, you can figure out the 14 out of 16 of your matchups along with who will have home field for as many years into the future as you want to go. It also means that only 2 games are in any way shape or form impacted by how good or bad you were the previous year.

13. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I wanted the the Raiders at Reliant.

14. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Actually, the current 8 year schedule they set up when the Texans entered the league is set to run it's course in 2009. We've known since 2002 that we'd be playing the Seahawks and 49ers at Reliant in '09. To my knowledge, there is no schedule set beyond 2009. Other than our division opponents, we don't know who will be on the schedule in 2010.

I would assume they change things up a little in that when we play the AFC East in the current setup, we've always had NE and the Jets together either on the road or home and Buffalo - Miami together the same way. Maybe they switch it up where it's NE - Miami together and Buffalo - Jets, and so on with the rest of the divisions including the NFC.

15. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

So, do we know the schedule too?

16. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

We're 4-0 against both teams the past 2 years so I can't argue against that, although I would like to see some other opponents in there or at least to change locations. Having the Raiders in Reliant like they were in 2004 was great (especially since Dunta picked off his 1st pass that game).

17. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

It was just a brochure with the 2008 oppontents logos on it.

18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

The schedule, dates and times, doesn't come out 'til April.

19. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Rack 'em! Rep went your way.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

So, let me get this straight. As the last place finishers in their division, the Dolphins get to play the last place Texans, supposedly to make their schedule easier? LOL, the last place Texans at 8-8 is kind of a kick in the teeth for the Phins, no? :)