Doing things the Bears/Ravens way

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Jan 3, 2007.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Both teams have clunky QBs, with Steve McNair being only a slightly better QB than Grossman.

Both teams have, IMO, average RBs in Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson and then Jamaal Lewis with the Ravens. Not exactly the most dynamic runners in the NFL right now.

But the common denominator for both teams, is this: An elite defense.

Frankly, I'd be happy with ANYBODY at QB, and ANYBODY at RB if it meant that we focused our draft and free agency on building one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Ryans and Williams are both a great start. Perhaps we could build off that success and continue to solidify our defense?

On the other hand, we see teams like Lions and Cardinals (consistently at the top draft spots) who attempt to stock their roster with potent offensive stars...and then only to sputter because they are always playing from behind.

When I saw Chicago do to Arizona what they did on Monday night, I was sold on the impact team-wide of a great defense.

It can mask so many weaknesses.

Bears and Ravens have been doing it with defense. And all the while, their offense is fairly inept if you ask me.

Kubiak strikes me as the kind of guy that will tolerate Carr-Lundy-Dayne-Taylor for at least one more year. He'll offer compeitition for those positions during camp, but I think he'll focus the draft and early free agency moreso on the d side of the ball.

And that means no AP, no Quinn, no flashy WR with our first round pick.

I'll go on record right now and say that we'll draft defense with our first round pick.

2. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Jamal Lewis had 2000 yards a few years ago, he has had a few down years, but he isn't just an average RB

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

D E F E N S E ! D E F E N S E !D E F E N S E ! D E F E N S E !

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Top 10 defenses.....
    Baltimore
    Jacksonville
    Oakland
    Miami
    Chicago
    NewEngland
    Carolina
    Minnesota
    Pittsburgh
    SanDiego

6 of 10 are not in the playoffs.

It's not as easy or as one sided as you say.
    two of those teams are better than Chicago defensively, and both will have top 10 picks. One of those teams will pick #1 overall.

Offense, defense, Special Teams, FA, Draft......... lets not be picky, and improve in all areas..

Texans Horror likes this.
  5. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

A time control offense does amazing things for a defense, the Colts' game is a perfect example. I think a talented RB could makes strides for our defense. With that being said, that kind of RB does not have to be found with the 8th pick. My number one choice for us is to pick Landry but I wouldn't be upset at all to see us going after Peterson or Lynch.

6. everardo7206

everardo7206 Rookie

RGV (if you don't know, thats WAAY deep south texa

oakland a top defense?
    mm

idk but last time their offense showed up was the AFC championship game vs the titans in 03'

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

It kind of is if you consider that 7 of those 10 teams are in the AFC which we all know is a tougher conference.

I like it when teams commit to one side of the ball for that off-season. Get one side of the ball relatively healthy instead of trying to patch-work the whole team... But I agree with you in that it really does take all 3 phases to be relatively and consistently good...

8. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

also, another thing those teams have in common is a pretty nasty Oline. having an average qb like those 2 teams do, takes the pressure of the Q to make the big play and instead they usually make long drives and punch it in near the goal line.

i agree with you that a good defense is an excellent place to start building (especialy our team) but its not all the simple. one dimentional teams just don't survive in the NFL. see: hou v colts, bears' close one w/ ari. teams with solid starters and a few playmakers on each side of the ball are the ones that will walk away with a :trophy: .

mark it down neither the bears, colts, or balt, will be in Miami come febuary.

9. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

Building a solid defense is something that is vital to the Texans success, there is no doubt about it. There are plenty of quality defensive FA players available this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2674183

It will be interesting to see how the Texans go forward with building the team this year but one thing is certain, "impact players" need to be added to the team on both sides of the ball.

10. Scooter

Scooter Funky

carolina shouldnt be up there since they've given away more than a handful of 4th quarter leads this year. the steelers won the superbowl last season. miami's defense is the only reason they had more than 2 wins (and were 31st in passing td's allowed). oakland only has a strong pass defense, they're 23rd or lower against the run.

jacksonville's the only real anomoly to gp's rule because they have a strong defense, and even have a good offensive line & running game. probably why they were 12-4 last year and even after losing games they shouldnt have, went 8-8 this year.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I didn't make that list up. that's the way they are ranked on NFL.com for total defense.

12. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

ya it will be balt and prolly the bears in the super bowl.. watch............

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Indy & Philly.......

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

sorry, i didnt mean to imply that you did. i just disagree with some of those being the top defensive teams because several were only strong in one area. oakland was pass only. miami was run only. carolina only played 3 quarters. denver should've been up there.

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

There is a difference in total defense yards allowed and total defense points allowed.

16. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I am a defense guy all the way.

But, what I have come to realize is that if you want to compete with the elite on the college or NFL level on a consistent basis in this day and age, you have to able to score a lot of points on any given gameday.

I like the idea of building a superior defense, but that seems to a be a lot harder to do with a lot less guarantee if you build your team around scoring a lot of points.

The Bears and Ravens are great examples, like you described. But with 32 teams, free agency, and rookie contracts of 4 - 5 years, it seems to be tough to sustain over an extended of period time to always produce winning records. Just look at how the Ravens and Bears bounce around from year to year and some team usually has their number in the playoffs.

The Texans need to start scoring more points! And scoring points has been the problem all along...

17. TexanBronco

TexanBronco Rookie

ya i so agree with you gpshafer_1976 and thats why i am still gonna say keep carr cause 1st off the texans will MOSTdefinitly not get anything good for him imo and just keep build the D and make it the strong point the offince really is not too bad they just need a line IMO afterall D wins games

18. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Having a feared defense would be even more fun to cheer than a prolific offense (IMO). Hitters, awesome rushers, speed...now that would be fun.

19. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

The main reason the Ravens have been able to maintain such a great defense for so long is because they do an excellent job of drafting players and developing talent. Just look at how many second day picks and undrafted players they have had turn into very productive starters.

Kelly Gregg (6th round pick of the Bengals who the Ravens picked up out of the scrap heap)
    Bart Scott (undrafted)
    Adalius Thomas (6th round pick)
    Dawan Landry (5th round pick)
    Will Demps (undrafted)
    Ed Hartwell (4th round pick)
    Marques Douglas (undrafted)
    Ma'ake Kemoeatu (undrafted)

Then take a look at their defensive first round picks where they NEVER miss...

1996 Ray Lewis
    1997 Peter Boulware
    1998 Duane Starks
    1999 Chris McAlister
    2002 Ed Reed
    2003 Terrell Suggs
    2006 Haloti Ngata

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Heres something else to consider:

Lovie Smith - Defensive guru
    Brian Billick - Defensive guru