"Doing A Line" article at houstonprofootball.com

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, May 1, 2007.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

2. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Nice reply!

3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Well, he certainly presents what is the minority view at this time. Maybe that'll change if the Texans still can't run a 7 or even 5 step drop pass play with any consistency next year.

Then again, maybe the Texans will prove a successful team needs four blue chip lineman on the dline and can cobble together an o-line out of a couple of high end players and spare parts because it's the Denver way.

Next season will be very interesting. I predict an offense weighted toward the run lke the end of last year, with a somewhat more successful passing game due to the QB change. I don't think they'll have a complete deep passing game due to lingering line problems.

I think the defense will be much improved and be the backbone of the team.

Double Barrel likes this.
  4. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

He forgot to mention the New England Patriots whose defensive line consists of nothing but first round picks.

Shaft75 likes this.
  5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Man, that's brutal. Potentially, what he said could be true. Obviously I hope not, but with our d-line last year, we didn't put much consistent pressure on the QB. Will Okoye make all the difference?

I think a healthy Mario will be a difference, too. Man do I hope he's got an inner fire that's burning with desire to prove himself in the face of negativity and doubt. We've got some solid defenders, especially with DeMeco as the centerpiece. So you could just as easily argue the opposite of what this article is saying, because it's all based on unknowns.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

And the Doomsday D with Harvey Marin, Ed Jones and Randy White drafted in subsequent years.

7. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Many of the most successful teams seem to be weighted to being strong on one side of the ball and great on other. I don't think there is one answer, and I don't know how easily that can be controlled given the unpredicatbility of players translating from college to the NFL. At some point the strong side becomes stronger from its own momentum - good players become better when surrounded by success.

At this point it appears the Texans may be giving their defense more of a chance to be the stronger side. It seems odd from an offensive minded head coach. Maybe they evaluated everything and decided they could build a strong defense more quickly as they tore down and rebuilt the offense. That way they get quicker improvement while building for the long term.

Just a theory.

8. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I guess he can't see the contradiction he is presenting.
    He says you don't want to blitz Peyton because of his quick release, and you just don't want to blitz VY, period...
    I don't know what that has to do with drafting a DT, or having a dominant line, but I can tell you the only way to get to a quarterback without blitzing is to have a good pass rushing DL...
    Unless he is saying we shouldn't want to get to the QB at all????

9. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Maybe Kubiak thinks he can do more with less on offense... he might feel that since he is an offensive minded coach, he will need better personnel on the D to achieve the same level of success he can get out of the O through his own skill...

10. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I just think Bob was irritated that his player wasn't taken with the 10th pick, which so happened to be an offensive player, whether it was Adrian Peterson, who was gone already, or Ted Ginn, who was gone already, or Levi Brown, who was gone already.

Who did that leave, offensive player wise, that would NOT have been a huge reach at 10?

It's not a stretch to think that maybe, just maybe, Kubiak and Smith had Akoye rated as the BPA, after the other players had been taken.

But noooooo . . . Bob thinks they are "obsessed" with the defensive line.

11. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I believe in that assessment. I think Okoye was there top rated defensive player that was left. I would guess that Landry was at the very top though. It's funny that Atlanta is praised for taking Anderson at 8...

12. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Texans OL draft .

Pitts 2nd rd
    Weary 3rd rd
    Wand 3rd rd
    Hodgon 5th rd
    Spencer 3rd rd
    Winston 3rd rd
    Brown sup

Free Agents

Mckinney
    Wade
    Salaam
    Black
    Weigert
    Flannigan

I don't know who else off the top of my head but you figure 5 of these guys could play .

13. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

See, I think just the opposite. I like a HC who says I know one side best so I will put more talent on the other side and do my coaching magic where I am an expert. Look at what Jimmy Johnson did or at how Dungy consistently makes do with less money and stars on the D. Capers violated the pooch by doing the opposite and over controlling the O and ignoring Fangio not running the D the way he would have.

15. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Exactly.

This is what I wrote on the thread:

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Amen brother.

And this is typical Denver thinking. Take defense high in the draft unless their is an offense player that you really think you can work with, and then take system offense players lower.

Kubiak obviously has a lot of confidence that he can do what he wants to do on the offensive side of the ball, but figures he needs to get the defense all the help they can get.

17. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

18. Honoring Earl 34

In my point of view your defense linemen are better athletes than the OL ... why because they have to read and react . So aside from OLTs they get picked higher than most OL .

The OL knows the play so they have to execute . The LTs get picked high because they have to be athletic enough to handle an edge rusher on most QBs blind side .

The best OL in my opinion in recent history was the 90's Cowboys ( ouch ... that hurts ) . Anyone know how they were built .

Mark Tuinie (sp ) drafted as a DT moved to OT .
    Nate Newton ... drafted by the Redskins , cut by the Redskins , USFL , Cowboys as a FA .
    Mark Stepnoski ... drafted 3rd round .
    Larry Allen ... drafted 2nd round .
    Erik Williams ... drafted third round

Anyone see a 1st round pick here . I'll bet if you looked up the DL you'll find Jimmy Johnson had some 1st round picks on it .

I looked it up ... in the 90's the Cowboys drafted 6 defensive linemen in the 1st round while drafting 0 offensive linemen

Double Barrel, Porky and RTP2110 like this.
  19. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

You mean Dr. Z didn't bash the Cowboys for ignoring the line? :gun:

Great post btw!

20. Honoring Earl 34

No but Buddy Ryan sure gave him hell . Remember the bounty bowl .

Of course in a couple of years thanks to the Vikings the Cowboys were the most talented team ( ouch again ) in the NFL .