Does this win feel more like a loss?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by NastyNate, Sep 30, 2018.

1. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I might be the only one, and if so my apologies. But I can't help but feel like this win just gives Obrien a small chance of sticking. Winning in overtime against an awful coaching decision in a game we should have essentially tied is nothing to celebrate. And in all honesty with the defensive scheme in the second half, we were beyond lucky to steal one. The offensive scheme is still awful. Obrien is in over his head. I would much prefer he stays on the hot seat. This just makes success so much further away. Thoughts?

Seegara likes this.
  2. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Look I hate OB as much as the next guy, but I never want a loss. Plus McNair won't get rid of OB that easily. Which in a way is a good thing, look at teams who get a new head coach every other year. For the most part they never get much better.

dream_team, Hervoyel and NastyNate like this.
  3. HouTx11

HouTx11 All Pro

I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't feel that Frank Reich's decision to go for it was an "awful coaching decision". I actually admire him for making that decision because he is truly playing to win as opposed to playing to not lose. We've seen enough ties this year in the NFL already and on top of that the Texans' secondary has been burned so much this season already. I think it was a good risk on his part that didn't pay off.

4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I completely understand your thinking. I've flirted with hoping for failure to induce change as well (as we all have). I can't bring it out to actually hope for a loss though (because my family are hardcore fans and I want wins for them). O'Brien has proven himself incapable, the results will speak for themselves. If he's here next season, it's not a team worth watching.

Meant to quote Nate.

5. Max

Max All Pro

If you want a W on paper, it's just that -- a W. If you want a team playing like a team that can make a playoff run -- we're far short of that and in that sense it's a L. Granted, you do need the W's on paper to ever get to the latter.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  6. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

The Texans could be undefeated right now and some folks would still be
    tripping....”but they didn’t dominate them so everybody sux!”

Fact of the matter is sometimes it’s good to be lucky instead of good.

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

It doesn't feel like a loss to me. The Texans aren't a very good team and they beat another not-very-good team today.

Better 1-3 than 0-4.

DocBar, disaacks3, dream_team and 2 others like this.
  8. Max

Max All Pro

What do you do when your head coach is consistently unlucky?

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

If you are consistently unlucky you're doing something wrong.

santo, Max and steelbtexan like this.
  10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

The Texans losing ways predate BoB, sorry.

Even when we’ve won fans still find some **** to complain about.

It is what it is.

JB, Max and steelbtexan like this.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Not a loss, but a 'face-palm' win. I said it in the gameday thread, this felt like the 2005 'suck for the #1 pick' last game where each team did their best to throw the game away ... we "won" by missing the final fieldgoal.

DocBar likes this.
  12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

It felt like an NFL win. Two relative equal teams both played well in some ways, poorly in others. The game came down to a key decision and/ or a couple of key plays.

Texas Jake, FuzzyLogic, JB and 2 others like this.
  13. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

If two teams have the same number of wins but one has fewer losses by virtue of recording a tie, doesn't the team with the tie have the superior record and
    if so then clearly a tie can have value ?

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

was beginning to wonder if anyone would start thread about improvements in team and this one is good enough. Same with game IMO. I don't like sloppy Ws but this was better than that. Sure we can sit here and whine over negatives but I'd rather discuss negatives and ways team will get better. Offense reversed themselves starting off first half pretty much ready to play not so for defense. Watt and Clowney had good games and gave me hope going forward that if one gets injured the other will keep defense going. Watt still looked way out of shape. Is he allowed to carry an oxygen bottle on field? Joseph got hurt and slowed him, Colvin out for season so..KJ back to corner or does either Bademosi or Kayvon Webster get a shot? Reid did look sort of good so I'm guessing Jackson back to corner. What happened to our defensive line inside guys? Crennel needs to impress much more next week. With Ellington out good to see Coutee proving he can be a solid option for Watson.

If Texans beat Dallas, OBrien is safe for few more games.

15. markn

markn Hall of Fame

Swap roles for a minute and imagine is in that spot and settles for a tie rather than going for it, he'd get slaughtered on here. I'm with you and Reich, a tie is no good to a team with a losing record there, you have to trust your QB.

Texas Jake and HouTx11 like this.
  16. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Veteran

I think there is a greater chance of success by trying a new coach instead of sticking with someone who has proven their ceiling is 9-7 in a bad division. Here are a few "new" head coaches who took their teams to an AFC/NFC championship game in the same amount of time, or less, than O'Brien has already had-
    Jon Gruden, Andy Reid, John Fox, Jim Mora, Lovie Smith, Tom Coflin, Mike McCarthy, Ken Whisenhunt, Sean Payton, Brad Childers, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carol, Bruce Arians, Dan Quinn, Bill Callahan, Tony Dungy, Norv Turner, John Harbaugh, Jim Caldwell, Rex Ryan, Mike Tomlin, John Fox etc... etc...
    I think those teams were smart to try a new coach instead of giving a loser a 4 year extension.

17. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

Depends on what OB did with the chance......

We both know 90% chance he would just run it up the middle on 4th and 9.

Im all for a coach having the balls to take risks win or lose... as long as they aren't STUPID risks. Id certainly prefer a coach that plays to win, not tuck tail and hope a lead holds.

NastyNate likes this.
  18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

It doesn't feel like a loss, it feels empty.

NastyNate, TheMatrix31 and KA4Texan like this.
  19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

I expected us to lose this game and we had to get a TD from the defense, a risky move from the opposing coach (that didn't pay off... this time), to get a win in OT. So we're 1-3 going into the Dallas game. I still think we have just as much chance of shitting the bed next week as we do getting out with a win and I still think the city goes completely ape-**** if we lose that game.

I never want to see them lose and a win is a win no matter how it happens but to me most of the Texans games feel like losses regardless of the outcome. That's just their brand of football. Since 2014 it's been an endless streak of either boneheaded calls and flat losses or wins that felt like we just got lucky and barely slipped by the other team.

As someone already pointed out the Texans been doing that longer than O'Brain has been here. He just does it with such style!

disaacks3, NastyNate and KA4Texan like this.
  20. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Not the way we wanted it but hey it's a win. And I feel good about it.

Thank you coach Reich.

NastyNate likes this.