Does this mean Dom Davis should be packing his bags

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CITY CAT, Jan 1, 2006.

1. CITY CAT

CITY CAT Veteran

I personally don't. It is not a crime to have 2 good RBs instead of 2 good WRs which is the usual championship formula.

2. real

real Guest

with reggie we have a good RB and good WR...So we'd have two good RB's and two good WR's..

3. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

I think one or two of our backs should be packing, but I don't think it should be DD. Depth is good.

4. CITY CAT

CITY CAT Veteran

They both would be the perfect compliments to each other. DD can run between tackles and Bush can take it to the outside. They also are both excellent recievers out of the backfield.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Let's take a look at the Larry Johnson and Preist Holmes situation. KC fans hated the pick of Larry Johnson. They had Priest already, they didn't need him. However it has paid off huge for them.

I think Davis will enjoy it actually. He seems to be such a team player that if this includes wins he is all for it. Plus this means he has less chance of being hurt next season especially after surgery.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

DD is signed to a pretty large contract I doubt along with his injury track record he will be traded. Wells however is a free agent & therefore the more likely candidate :)

7. Iceblink

Iceblink Waterboy

The only reason you'd consider dropping Davis would be for the cap, and I think there are lots of guys with healthy salaries that aren't productive who should go first. Adding a #1 pick's salary hit will require some cap management, but a 2-14 team shouldn't have trouble finding guys who didn't play well.

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

The cap is why we WONT drop DD. No matter what happens in the offseason, DD will be there, because it would cost us $7M to get rid of him:brickwall

9. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

We will keep Davis and not sign Wells. Next year we will arguably have the best running attack in the league with the two headed monster of Davis and Bush.

10. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

You gotta think about it the way the Texans will. Bush is a great talent, but are we really going to tie up 12+ million a year on our backfield. They will not. It is just not good business. And it will eventually put us in a Titans like situation. The argument of LJ and Priest is moot, because LJ was not getting as much as Bush will or DD for that matter so he is what you call a discount.

11. David's Busted Carr

David's Busted Carr Veteran

AFTER we draft Reggie Bush, I'm all for trading DD if we can find a taker. I'd trade him for a 2nd round pick (whether it's this year or next year).

Wells would be a better compliment to Bush b/c he is a much better pound it out type back much like Len Dale White is at USC now. And we could resign him for peanuts compared to what they just gave DD.

Davis is a poor man's Bush. No reason to have him around when you have THE REAL DEAL!!! :redtowel:

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

if we are careful about it I would think that we can manage DD and Bush for the next 3 seasons... then keep the best of the two and trade the other.

13. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Yeah, but Davis isn't getting as much as Holmes either. LJ will get the payday if he plays like he played this season.

14. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Why not keep all 3. Wells is cheap and above average 3rd string back and also plays special teams. I see us, if we take Bush, having Bush, Davis, Wells, and Morency. We'd just run it down everyone's throats all season long.

15. CITY CAT

CITY CAT Veteran

Don't forget we still have a 6'5 reciever in Andre Johnson.

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

That is an interesting idea, but why are we going to draft Bush ($55 million) and keep Davis ($20+ million) to have them take just over half of our carries and split time with another two RBs?

17. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

I don't know where everybody get's their stats from so I guess I should ask. 1st picks are usually quartebacks. Smith, Carr, Palmer, Manning, Vick, Couch etc. etc. Even last yr. when there was a good crop of running backs a qb was taken first. Isn't the quarterback also the highest paid position. How much of a difference is there between what the average QB makes and what an average RB make. How do you work that out. If we traded 1st for 2nd pick with New Orleans how would that affect his contract, I'm sure the Saints would pass on Bush in favor of Leinart. I dunno all the speculation on his contract is just that speculation. We don't know how much he would ask for or if he would prove difficult to negotiate with. For all we know he could settle for a much lesser amount of money then we could speculate. I don't think the money should be an issue at this point.

18. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Bush will get at least $50 million as the #1 pick, we have to pay a QB probably $55 million as a #1. A RB at the #2 pick will get paid a decent amount less, but I doubt the Saints will swap picks with us since they know we're not getting Leinart, unless possibly if we're entertaining serious offers from other teams looking to trade up and grab Leinart before the Saints can.

19. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Davis got a big contract and no one will trade something of value for him and if we cut him, we lose him for nothing. Davis is staying for a couple more years.

20. BradK10

BradK10 Hall of Fame

he's GROWN 2 inches since we drafted him?