Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Does the first game change your opinion of how you think the season will go?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Max, Sep 10, 2019.

?

Does the first game change your opinion of how you think the season will go?

1. Yes. We will be better than I thought.

47.6%
  2. Yes. We will be worse than I thought.

1.6%
  3. No. I didn't think we were going to be good and still feel this way.

28.6%
  4. No. I thought that we were going to be good and still feel this way.

22.2%
  1. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I was extremely encouraged by the Saints game. They are the NFC favorites to make the SB, and they had to kick a 58 yard FG to beat us at their house!
    • I know 6 sacks are bad, but I was actually encouraged by the OL. Tunsil looks good to me. I think a lot of the sacks were failures to recognize blitzes, which is fixable. I'm very encouraged by mid-season they can be an average OL.
    • The Hyde/Duke backfield is better than expected. Hyde has more speed than I thought, he was able to get around the edge a few times.
    • If everyone can stay healthy, this could be the best receiving group in the league. Stills is going to help more than I anticipated.
    • The play calling was a big surprise! I was glad to see some plays called to beat blitzes, rather than just hope the protection holds up.
    • I was mostly surprised offensively. Defensively, nothing really surprised me.
    • The run defense didn't play well, but we were going against one of the best OLs and Kamara. Tackling is also always poor at the start of the season, so I have confidence it will get better.
    • I admit, though, didn't know Colvin was that bad. At least we don't have to worry about him anymore.

2. amazing80

amazing80 Powda is so big it hurts!

OB needs to have this offense play with a sense of urgency the entire time. We are a high octane offense that he has stuck in 1st gear. Keep the pressure on the defense with quick routes, a mix of run/pass (stop running on 2nd and long every time), and don't be afraid to play loose even with a lead. Being conservative will not work vs great teams. They are too explosive. Be conservative against teams like the Dolphins, Jags, Cardinals, etc. when you have a lead, not New Orleans, Chiefs, Patriots etc..

3. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Momentum seemed to be on our side constantly, but our defense kept ruining it for our offense. Yeah, Watson is great, but he can only bail us out so many times. We need some good corners so freakin bad right now since our pass rush is nonexistent.

ROO likes this.
  4. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

First game went like how I expect most games to go. Texans should be an overall good team. They made tons of mistakes and coaching errors and were a hair away from beating the team that should have been in the SB last season in their own house. Those mistakes by the players were huge and were mainly by guys who just got on this team.

Why is that though? The Texans HC, that's why. He couldn't figure out a proper roster all through the off season and ended up panicking in the last second adding in all of this new talent. Now this team has to figure out how to play together all over again like last season where they had a bad start.

I expect a similar season last year with the Texans having slightly stronger potential offensively to damage someone. It will make them more dangerous. I do expect just as many coaching errors if not more since OB is handling duties of a GM too now. I expect a lot of frustration from fans that see a team with a lot of talent being squandered by the coach's poor game plans and decision making. Can the players possibly overcome it and go really far? With Watson he makes anything seem possible, so I'm going to say yes. Not the best situation to be in though, that's for sure.

5. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

No it hasn't. Looks like we're the same freaking team. We have the talent unfortunately coaching will be our downfall again.

Corrosion, TheKDog and santo like this.
  6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Most of the runs I remember looked like they were supposed to be up the gut. But since we haven't coached these two up, they kept bouncing outside.

Texansballer74 and ROO like this.
  7. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

We still have firsts in 2026, 2027, right?

76Texan, ROO, AlbertanTexan and 4 others like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

Lets trade them for a CB and a pass rusher ?!

:sarcasm:

AlbertanTexan likes this.
  9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Probably not after O'Brien's next trade . :ahhaha:

ROO likes this.
  10. AlbertanTexan

AlbertanTexan Rookie

Voted Yes will be better than I thought. Watson was terrific and clutch on the primetime stage, such a stud player.
    On the road and in a tough environment they went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the league, they'll get W's

steelbtexan likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Only reason this team is ever 8-8 or better is because our division sucks.
    With BOB and his play calling all games seem to be a coin flip, hence his overall record. If ahead play safe and let the other team catch up.
    Games in NFL are very competitive and everything counts. Coaching matters and we will always be on the short end with BOB in charge.
    Watson has started his only game this season when he was healthy. As the season goes on he will go downhill health wise thanks to the way this team has been managed.
    Did we improve this team any at all this year in the draft? Sure gave up our future for one player but that was in a trade not the draft. Depth is terrible on this team. Maybe make playoffs but then embarrassed in playoffs. No change with current leadership. Such a shame for JJ , Dhop, Watson, and others.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    santo and TheKDog like this.
  12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't know why I bother reading this forum

13. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

Because it is for the "fans" of the Texans. Can't you tell JB?

14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Fan stands for fanatic :texans:

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yes, they are better than last yr and will probably be a 10 win team in yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild.

thunderkyss and CWTexansFan like this.
  16. Texansballer74

Lol I'm sorry but I really don't understand this comment. I mean if we go 8-8 please explain to me, how that's better than 11-5. And please stop with this rebuild stuff. The offense and defense schemes are still the same. The HC/OC and DC are still the same. They are not doing anything remotely different

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Whether you want to admit it or not this team needs to get experience. That's going to take a yr. But they will be a playoff team. I mean This is basically Watson's 2nd season.

I've been consistent throughout.

18. Texansballer74

Unfortunately that's not how it works. We can try to spin it in whatever direction we dem it to be. But this not a rebuild situation. This team is trying to win right now. The moves we made suggest exactly that. Bill O'Brien is on the hot seat, Crennel seats is on fire and Watt, Joseph and even Hopkins careers are on the line sorta speak. Meaning they wants to win a Superbowl as a Texans right now. But hey keep telling yourself that.

santo likes this.
  19. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

You are not being a good teammate right now !

I would think the clear path is doing what the Colts did last year . They started two rookie OL and a rookie LB . By the end of the season the Colts were pretty good . That's what the Texans need to do , IMO .

Texansballer74 and CWTexansFan like this.
  20. santo

santo Hall of Fame

If we were in rebuild mode we wouldn't give up the picks we did. I agree that OB wants to win, but what I don't know if Cal has OB on the hot seat. If OB manages to win the division or go 8-8, he'll get another chance when they decide to hire a GM next season.
    Crennel may be the scapegoat this time though. lol