Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Does the first game change your opinion of how you think the season will go?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Max, Sep 10, 2019.

?

Does the first game change your opinion of how you think the season will go?

1. Yes. We will be better than I thought.

47.6%
  2. Yes. We will be worse than I thought.

1.6%
  3. No. I didn't think we were going to be good and still feel this way.

28.6%
  4. No. I thought that we were going to be good and still feel this way.

22.2%
  1. Toro Bravo

Toro Bravo Rookie

We looked better than I expected but that won't change my win total estimate to finish 7-9. That was a tough game for any team to win - even KC or NE. We will be much more competitive than my expectations but that won't result in wins. Can't overcome poor coaching and scheme.

santo likes this.
  2. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

What a tough opener, heart-breaking way to lose a game but overall we performed better than I expected. Defense could have been better but that is what the Saints with Brees look like at home. In fact compared to last year we played them tough. He threw 21 TDs to 1 Int at home last year with a rating over 130. There are places we need to improve but the Saints can do that to anyone. Romeo is going to have to be a bit more aggressive.

I thought Tunsil looked great. I know he gave up the 1 sack but that end got such a great jump off the line and the place was just so loud. He has been here less than a week. The interior line has been banged up. Henderson on the right side is worrisome. We won't have to deal with noise even comparable to that over the next 4 games so if we are still giving up pressure anywhere near that rate it is time to sound the alarm bells. I think Johnson starting at RT could be a nice pass pro boost. Have to hope Howard can hold his own once he gets healthy because I don't have any faith in Kelemete's pass pro. Seems to bury his head in the first defender that gets close which makes him comically vulnerable to stunts.

Rbs looked good but I saw multiple times where Deshaun wanted to hand off to the back and they were on the wrong side. Pretty sure that was Duke which is annoying seeing as he has been here longer than the other new-comers. Their pass pro is not going to be to the level it needs to be for a while still if they can't even run the right play.

Weapons overall look dangerous. I thought the play-calling was more creative than last year. For the most part I liked the motions we were running. Deshaun is so damn fun to watch. He is going to keep getting better at the little things all year.

My dvr didn't catch it all (might have been a blessing in disguise) so if my son has his high school open house on the MNF opener next year I am going to just skip it.

AlbertanTexan and thunderkyss like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

Didn't change a thing for me.

I expect them to be "Good" but not "Great".

They'll beat the poor and middling teams and lose to the really good teams.

Chiefs , Patriots will handle them.

Chargers & Ravens they lose on the road.

They should win the rest of their schedule and finish 11-5 and the 3 seed in the AFC and a second round exit - Just enough to keep OB around another year.

ArlingtonTexan and Surreal McCoy like this.
  4. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

For me the biggest thing is momentum. We looked great offensively. OL needs to gel and having Tytus back hopefully next will help. Defense looks like it’ll be a weak point this year. This will be a litmus test for OB. Can we come out fired up and run jacksonville out of the building or are we gonna come out flat and go down 0-2. We need a big win this weekend otherwise this season could go into a tailspin real quick. Just real disappointing to lose a game like that

5. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

The question for me is how much will the o-line and defensive backfield improve. They both include a lot of new pieces and there is potential for dramatic improvement if they can gel. If that happens, this team should become a real contender. It is too early to tell what this team will become, but for now I remain optismistic.

ROO, CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

I wonder what happened on our last drive. Did Watson all of a sudden realize he's got to get rid of the ball quick? I mean 54 yard passes in 1.7 seconds (or something like that).

Texan Asylum likes this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

I thought we'd do well this season & still do.

I was really impressed with how they played. Not once did I hear, "BO'b didn't get them ready to play."

Starters didn't play much this preseason. Just like last year. But they appeared to be on the same page & ready.

Duke Johnson, Tunsil, Hyde, Stills had a week of practice... NFL in season week is about 4 days of practice. They looked like they belong.

Lot of work to be done & no, I don't think we're there yet. We're not contenders. But I think we're headed in the right direction.

8. cameronkrazie86

cameronkrazie86 Veteran

At this point, I'm the only one that voted for "Yes. We will be worse than I thought." I thought this team was a 4 to 6 win team because of the suspect offensive line and suspect secondary. Tunsil was way better than I thought, the rest of the line was somehow even worse than I thought. 5 sacks on guys not named Tunsil (the sack credited to Tunsil, the guy was offsides and they didn't call it). If Watson can survive this offensive line, he's Superman come to life because they are bad.

The secondary likewise was pretty terrible. The pass rush was worse than I expected even if they did only bring 3 guys 16 times(!!!) on the pass rush. I expected the secondary to be meh at best so them sucking in the second half was disappointing despite a very good first half. I just tend to believe teams are going to realize that throwing the ball more against this team will open up the run game rather than vice versa. No Clowney was a huge hit to the defense both in stopping the run (especially the 2nd half when Kamara went crazy) and to take some of the double teams off JJ.

I lean more towards 3 to 5 wins as my expectations almost entirely because I have no faith at all in them protecting Watson enough to let him have a chance. Fire the crappy OL coach already if we're actually holding people accountable for sucking.

TheKDog likes this.
  9. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Playcalling changed

Mangler likes this.
  10. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Nothing has changed for me either. Still not winning those shoulda won games. Assuming the Saints have a winning record this season, OB's record against winning record teams will drop to 11-28.

Never believed the defense would be any better than last year's with the moves they made this past off-season, particularly with the way decent to good QBs exploited them, even with Clowney still here. The secondary is a leaky dam about to burst, and there's zero pass rush to help them.

The offense has potential, but will never see that full potential, and Watson likely dies, if the OL doesn't get better.

The timeout/challenge thing turned out not to be a big deal, but just another example of him always saying he needs to coach better and never does. That was a stupid mistake some rookie coach would make, not one a guy in his 6th year does. Not that veteran coaches don't make mistakes, but that was just low game management IQ. And that leads me to believe that it isn't going to get better with this guy. I've seen 5 years plus 1 game of it now.

So they'll probably take it to the Jags and their rookie QB next week, because those are the type of situations OB can beat you. Hell, his only playoff win was against a rookie QB.

So, nothing has really changed as far as I can tell. I've been long done with moral victories. Those don't count in the standings. At some point in time you've got to turn those moral victories into actual victories.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

You're being generous. College coaches and Texas high school football coaches don't make that mistake. I don't think even kids playing Madden do.

AlbertanTexan likes this.
  12. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 Fire Fat Travolta

Games should be more entertaining to watch with a more potent offense but our coaching staff is impotent so once again we’ll beat the meh teams and lose to the better teams.

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I think this team is pure chaos. Depending on health we can Watson/Hopkins/Defense our way to 10 wins against the mess that the AFC South has returned to. One bad injury and we could envy the Browns ... and as an Oiler, nobody envies the Browns.

House of Pain likes this.
  14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian Staff Member

What is this team's identity under O'Brien? Sixth season and I'm still left wondering what, exactly, O'Brien is trying to build.

#4 is a franchise QB, no doubt about it. Thank Rick Smith for that one.

But what I saw with the lack of consistent protection is just an extension of 2018. Watson is going to get killed every week, and his size/frame will likely not hold up.

And when he's gone, this is maybe a 4-12 team. Maybe.

I'll give it the so-called "benefit of the doubt". First game, great competition, new players. . .but it's got to improve quickly (i.e. coaching!) if this team really wants to contend this season.

And with yet another glaring weakness in the secondary, we will need Watson to win some shootouts. I expect a lot of late game wins & losses.

I thought this was a mediocre team after the Indy playoff blowout, and I still think it's the same now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

15. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

Nope, because we are gonna trade for Jalen Ramsey at the trade deadline when the Jags are out of the playoff hunt.

CWTexansFan and Mangler like this.
  16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Situation is all it was.

We had to be more aggressive in going down field quickly b/c we needed a TD to win.

Saints knew this..... came out in what looked like a 4-2-5 nickel disguised as a potential blitz but they didn't actually bring any pressure on that 1st play. Plan was obviously to force check downs until time ran out. That plan got blown out of the water with the 1st completion deep in their territory. 2nd play they scrapped the original plan & went back to doing what they'd really been doing all 2nd half..which was blitzing with pressure off the edges & trying to force DW4 into a mistake.

17. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator Staff Member

Trade what for him?

ROO likes this.
  18. GanadoUHCoog

GanadoUHCoog Rookie

I predicted 8-8 and I'll still predict it. There is obvious talent in certain areas but there are multiple holes on the team including OL and secondary. JJ Watt is screwed without Clowney. He was doubled all game against NO and go all of NOTHING on the stat sheet.

@ NO L (0-1)
    VS Jacksonville W (1-1)
    @ LAC L (1-2)
    VS Carolina W (2-2)
    VS Atlanta L (2-3)
    @ KC L (2-4)
    @ Indy L (2-5)
    VS Oakland W (3-5)
    VS* Jacksonville W (4-5)
    @ Bal L (4-6)
    VS Indy W (5-6)
    VS NE L (5-7)
    VS Den L (5-8)
    @ Tenn L (5-9)
    @ TB W (6-9)
    VS Tenn W (7-9)

We get a moral victory for winning our last two games! BO keeps his job!

19. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Kind of curious to why you think they can't beat the Broncos at home? I mean Denver just lost to the Raiders!? And it wasn't even as close as the score portrays. Their offense is terrible.

I also think they beat the Falcons, not impressed with that team at all.

CWTexansFan and House of Pain like this.
  20. Texas Legend

Texas Legend Rookie

It made me feel more confident certainly. Saints are a legit contender and we should’ve won that one at their place. Watson is a future Star if we can keep him healthy.

AlbertanTexan likes this.