Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Does the first game change your opinion of how you think the season will go?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Max, Sep 10, 2019.

?

Does the first game change your opinion of how you think the season will go?

1. Yes. We will be better than I thought.

47.6%
  2. Yes. We will be worse than I thought.

1.6%
  3. No. I didn't think we were going to be good and still feel this way.

28.6%
  4. No. I thought that we were going to be good and still feel this way.

22.2%
  1. Max

Max Hall of Fame

I thought that we had the potential to be a good team this year but I thought that it would take us longer than the first game to show signs of it so I voted that we're better than I expected. I think that this game shows that we belong in the contender category. We just need to show incremental improvement and stay healthy and this is going to be a fun season to watch.

Texas Jake, ROO, Texansphan and 2 others like this.
  2. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

I feel a lot more confident about our team after watching the Texans vs Saints. My expectations were so low, I thought we would get stomped and embarrassed. Watson seems more mature, and the running game has looked better than it ever has under this regime. The offensive line just needs to jell.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Remember when Schaub led the NFL in passing yards? That offense was boom or bust, but they put up numbers. Lost some games where they took the lead towards the end and then watched the defense give it up. They went 6-10, IIRC.

I didn't think they'd be very good. Still don't. As long as Watson is upright, they have a shot. But water finds its level. This team is mediocre from the top down. Watson and a few players can't overcome that on a long term consistent basis.

4. HouTx11

HouTx11 All Pro

I'm very impressed with the new running backs, but the Texans last night just lost to a team that hasn't won the first game of a season since Bill O'Brien began coaching the Texans. This Texans team will fall to every great QB they face this year.

The Texans lost last night for the same reasons why they lost the Wild Card game (at home) last year: not enough O-line protection and the defense had no answers for the other team's offense. Not enough pressure on the QB and secondary can't stop the RB/receivers.

If O'Brien gets fired the Texans must send Crennel with him if this franchise is serious about becoming a championship contender moving forward.

5. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Watson took a beating. If he doesn’t get protected better he’s not going to survive. It’s a miracle he did last year.

6. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

As expected for me. Offense looked decent. Watson is unreal. Tunsil as an individual and the OL as a whole need to be better.

Defense looked worse than I thought they would. No push, no pass rush. No edge contain on perimeter runs. It’s bad. Lucky that Mac and Ham kept us in the game. Secondary was getting sliced up.

JJ Watt played the worst game of his life. Hope it’s just rust.

AFC South as a whole played good football. Regardless of no Luck or Foles this division is not going to an easy out.

7. amazing80

amazing80 Powda is so big it hurts!

Same terrible secondary.
    Allowed 6 sacks.
    No pressure all night.
    Couldn’t make a stop when it counted
    OB taking our nascar offense on a pedestrian run to the grocery store.

Same **** as always. But as long as we have Watson we have a chance.

76Texan, Texecutioner, ROO and 3 others like this.
  8. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Interior line is still garbage. Hoping that Howard can provide an improvement when he sees the field, maybe move Fulton to center and slide kelemete or scharp into that rg spot to see. It was A gap pressure all night that they had no answer for. Devlin has to get axed, fire this guy yesterday.

We still don't have tight ends apparently.

Defensive line was nonexistent. Kamara ran all over us and Brees had tons of time to throw.

Aaron Colvin... That's the punchline.

Overall this team just isn't that talented. Watson is doing his best to polish a gigantic turd but outside of a few bright spots we're anemic.

9. Bugman7star

Bugman7star Veteran

Our offense can compete in a shootout despite some ugly mistakes and calls (multiple sacks, some poor play calls and clock management at the worst times, etc.). They will get better. I am much more concerned about the defense. And with limited draft capital, I hope there are some free agents at some key positions that can possibly make up for what we won't be able to get in the draft. We still need some better O-lineman (a new O-line coach would help), pass rushers, and some DBs.

10. santo

santo Hall of Fame

We still have OB in charge, so I expect this team to be better than the average/below average teams and maybe win a few against playoff teams.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. KarlK

KarlK Veteran

No. I thought 9-7 before the game; I think 9-7 now. The OL is weak like we thought. The defense is will get torn up by good qbs, like we thought. We knew Watson-Hopkins would put up big numbers. The running game was a pleasent surprise, but NO hardly has a stout defense. We'll see if that holds up.

At the end of the day, NE tears Houston and everyone else up, so it's all a moot point.

NastyNate likes this.
  12. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

When has he ever won against a playoff team? Connor Cook? OK, you got me...:p

76Texan, NastyNate and santo like this.
  13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't know yet. If they can keep Watson standing he'll win us games despite OB. It all depends on Watson being able to play.

So, IF Watson is kept standing and healthy this season (and that a big frickin IF) the team has the ability to rise above the average (where they have historically been) to legitimate contender status. I don't think this team has what it takes to go all the way though.

We'll know more in a few weeks. I'm excited, but not to the point where I'm no longer gun shy of the Texans. Still don't trust them, but I'm much more hopeful. Hopefully that makes sense, and if it doesn't, well, it's just Thorn so don't worry about it.

14. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I voted we will be better than expected.
    Many are forgetting NO is a top contender and we came within a hair of knocking then off in their own building.
    Yeah we have some issues but we should see incremental improvements.
    We have a running game and that is huge.
    Must find some pass rush to help out the secondary.
    The arrow is pointing up.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    AlbertanTexan and Texas Jake like this.
  15. CPTTexan

CPTTexan Rookie

This is where I was and still am before the season started. I felt like we would be in the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 win/loss range. This game doesn't really change that.

We have a legit running game with Hyde/Johnson and Watson looks good...which isn't surprising. However, he still holds the ball too long, our O-Line is porous...(will they get better?), we have no pass rush, we gave up a lot of long runs that an elite run stopping defender may have helped with, our secondary is trash, and good grief the tackling!

76Texan and NastyNate like this.
  16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Some things were better than expected, such as Watson's continued development and the skill positions (Duke,Hyde, stills)

Some were worse. The defense looks bad. It was Brees, but there seemed to be no pass rush, run defense, or good secondary play. Can't count on redzone ints. We are missing clowney and Matthieu much more than expected.

Some are the same:
    - Tunsil looked great but the ol still sucks.
    -OBriens playcalling still sucks so there we are sitting at a measly 21 points at the end asking Watson to perform miracles.
    - clock management and challenge flag judgment also still suck. Using a timeout to think about challenging the play, then challenging the play and losing another timeout is a new one.
    -the tight ends are still ghosts despite three picks in the last two years

76Texan, House of Pain, ROO and 2 others like this.
  17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Pleasantly surprised by the offense as it exceeded my expectations, but even in the absence of Clowney the defense was disappointing and I sure hope it's
    just first game lack of conditioning and rustiness. In particular Watt looked like he was moving in slow motion, and since he's now 30 years old I sure hope we aren't witnessing the beginning of the end for JJ ?

18. banned1976

banned1976 American

The problems I believed were there when I voted they would win between 5 and 7 games showed up last night. An invisible pass rush, holes in the secondary and inconsistencies on the offensive line.

Luckily Brees was rusty in the first half and the Texans, with Watson’s heroics, were able to control the clock...for a little while.

I still think this is a 6 or 7 win team.

NastyNate likes this.
  19. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

I went with "No I thought we'll be good and still feel the same way" because for me good is a division title and playoff exit. I still feel that way. Good team but not great. I would rather see something that makes me change that viewpoint to think we're bonafide contenders because we honestly always are "good". Time for something more around here.

But if that defense doesn't sure up and the offensive line doesn't get better it will be difficult to get over that hump. I honestly may have more faith the line gets better before the defense because I have yet to see Crennel show the ability to adapt to a situation or adjust. I am hoping he makes some adjustments and maybe we find a way to grab someone or something that covers some issues like Colvin and pass rush.

Either way it's still early. Can't go crazy off one week as they say. Watson continues to prove he was a great choice though and it's good to see us with such a damn good QB. Now to keep him alive.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Team looked pretty similar to me how they usually look when Watson is healthy.

Can put up points with big plays to the receivers, bad oline play, Suspect 2ndary