Does Morency's age bother anyone?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texas_Thrill, May 15, 2005.

1. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I am curious if anyone feels like Morency being 25 and a RB bother anyone? RB's dont last long in the NFL as it is. I know he didn't play ball for quite some time and that he only started for one year but I still have to question how much impact a ROOKIE RB at 25 does for us.

I felt that 3rd rounder could have addressed more pressing needs for us like OL.

2. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I'm not really concerned about his age. One of the easiest positions in the NFL for a rookie to make an instant impact is at RB. I think he'll end up being a great pickup for us, and we'll get to see some of him this upcoming season.

3. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Morency's age isn't much of an issue since he is still in his mid 20's and in his prime. The amount of carries a back has had is really what counts.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

its pure conjecture but I would say that Morency taken in the 3rd round in 2005 was a better selection than Hollings in the supplemental draft which in essence was the 1st pick of the 2nd round 2003 :crying:

5. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Honestly, I'm less worried about Morency's age than I would've been if we chose a guy like Benson, who carried the brunt of the load in a run-heavy offense for four seasons...

6. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

At 25, he's about as good as he's going to get. There's very little upside to Morency.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

So that means most of the players in NFL has reached its player plateau and won't get any better either...including guys like David Carr? I don't think so. I'm not worried one bit about Morency being 25. Most Men don't stop filling out until 25 anyway. He is ready to go right now, and right now is what you are worried about when you take a back.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Morency will likely sign a 4 year contract with the Texans. Vernand will be 28 years old by the end of the contract. So the Texans will get his best years at the price of a rookie contract. If we were talking about a 1st round pick with a 6-7 year contract, that's a different story.

9. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I think your aspect of judgement is a little flawed there. If Morency had played RB this entire time, then I might agree with it. But really he has played about as much as any other college prospect that's come out, because of his involvement in the Dodgers system. I think football experience, and the competition of that experience, has much more to do with a prospects upside than their actual age. He should improve simply by playing against better competition in the NFL.

10. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

What wears down a RB is the amount of punishment not the calender itself. In relative terms, he has little punishment on his body, so he should be fine in the foreseeable future.

11. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Does this mean Drew Henson won't get any better either? :whistle:

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

yep :howdy:

blanket moratorium age 25 & up :dangit:

funny it is, that Morency is the pick, the Texans used, via Henson :heh:

13. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

There were concerns about Antowain Smith's age when he came out of UH. He is still in the league (with Tennessee last time I looked) and has a couple of Super Bowl rings to boot.

*edit* typo

14. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think you are thinking about this in the wrong way. He will just have to play longer than the normal quitting age for a runner, which is around 33. But that is the normal age for a player who came into the league at 22, with 10-11 years of wear and tear. At 33, Morency will only have played 8 years in the league. And I think he could play as long as any other.

JMO

15. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I'm not concerned at all about Morency's age. He is 25 years old not 35 years old! He played minor league baseball for the Rockies and that is why he is a 25 year old rookie runningback in the NFL. I think he played for a great program in OSU and he played in a tough Big 12 conference and I think that counts for something. I think Morency will be a fine backup but he might push DD if he's injured too much.

16. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Comparing 25 year old QBs to 25 year old RBs = apples to oranges.

How many QBs do you know of that come in the league and make an instant impact?
    How many RBs do you know of that can do/have done that?

How many QBs get better after they turn 30?
    How many RBs get better after they turn 30?

Bottom line, with the RB position, you don't see the same level of improvement with them as you do with any other position. Mostly because they have the ability to come in and dominate from the get go. That's not to say what you see in college is what you get. They do get better. Just not as much as the other players.

So as I said, he's already 25. He's "about" as good as he's going to get.

17. Blake

Blake MMQB

Priest Holmes was 24 years old before the 5th game of his rookie season.

His age, is not that big of a deal to me.

18. Dionysus22

Dionysus22 Veteran

Well that's not really a fair assesment. Drew was out of football for those years then tried to come straight into the NFL extremely rusty. Morency was out but did his time in college and now is ready to bust loose. We just happened to land a more mature RB that doesn't have a lot of miles like a Ced Benson but also hasn't been out of football for a few years and is trying to make a comeback. Grant it, I would have rather grabbed a TE or an OL, but Morency is great addition and should push DD to keep his job. Then we'd have a great 1-2 punch with the both. :boxing:

But you're right! drew does blow!!! I'm loving it! :heh:

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Might be a BIT older model, but low miliage.

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Well he has alot more promise than any of the other RBs we have on the roster. I believe if they get to share the load, we could be possibly be seeing a remake of Thurman Thomas and Ken Davis, and perhaps this would allow us to close out 4th quarter leads because our running game is fresh all game.