Does Kubiak have something up his sleeve for the season?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

I know the offense is not in sync, but I feel Kubiak is going to surprise everyone in Week 1. All that we saw in preseason, it might be to fool the national public. I think Carr will feel more relaxed in the pocket to pass to AJ and Moulds. I think the OL will perfect zone blocking so Lundy/Morency can find the holes to break out.

What do you guys think?

2. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I sure hope so. Maybe he was telling Carr to be squeamish in the pocket to give opposing defenses the idea that he was still shell-shocked, and once the regular season starts...voila! That would be nice...

3. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Don't expect the obvious from Kubiak. For example, he's known for running the ball, but in one of the preseason games Carr threw the ball 9 or 10 times in a row before a run was called. The run was effective and we went back to passing. Kubiak has always said he will do what is necessary to win. If he needs to pass he will do that and if he needs to run he will do that. The other team's defense is going to show the way.

4. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Playoffs :cowboy1: :homer:

5. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

I would love to get a look at the 15 plays we are thinking about opening with. I expect stretch running plays that have David rolling away from the plays. Then eventually have that play as a playaction / bootleg option.

It would be a shame not to use something that worked so well in the preseason.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Exactly, Ibar.........We just need to pray that Carr leaves these in bed with his wife (not meant in any disrespectful way).............

[​IMG]

infantrycak likes this.
  7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I'm sure that Kearse and Howard are already in Carr's head.

They need 150+ yards rushing this game to have a chance.

8. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

I think Kubiak has shown just the tip of the iceburg playcallling-wise. I have to beileve that there are a WHOLE bunch of plays they've been mastering in TC and Pactices that were never seen in the preseason that will be everyday plays in the reg. season. I could see a half-back pass or flea-flicker as the first play of the season! Can't wait for sunday!!! :wild:

9. 19-10

19-10 Veteran

Fle-flicker - great idea! Those only take about 4 seconds to develop. No way you trust a rookie RB and LT on that play to start the season. Half back pass? That would really bolster DC's confidence. But hey, whatever it takes.
    It would be fun to see

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

"Does Kubiak have something up his sleeves?"

His arms.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Maybe the success Carr had with PA and bootlegs is in their heads...Carr IS a good running QB and if those 2 don't hold contain, it could be a long day for them. Pinning their ears back and speed rushing the outside edge COULD leave them being pushed out of the play. I know we haven't seen that in 4 years, but we haven't seen much competent coaching in 4 years, either. That being said, I HAVE to agree with you, AJ. Spencer is going to have a hard time handling a seasoned vet who can rotate in and out to stay fresh. May be best to just use a straightforward runniing attack and play to Spencer's strength, while picking your spots to throw and maybe catch them off guard

12. real

real Guest

Give Kubiak more credit...He knows Spencer is a rookie....This isn't Capers we are talking about...Look for a lot of double TE sets, and runningbacks chipping before routes...Look for a lot of roll outs, and PA....Do not look, or expect Spencer to be going one on one too many times....Kubiak is going to try to outscheme the Eagles because I think it's painfully obvious we do not have the personnel to just line up and try to take it to them...

13. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I have to agree and think your assesment is right on. I think if they pin their ears back and rush repeatedly then the dump off pass to the running back will be wide open and will pay huge divedends in yardage gains and moving the chains. It won't be pretty, but it will be efficient until they respect it and then we can open up on other things. I think Philly will be suprised and I hope their staff is as cocky as their fans (doubtful) in thinking that it will be a breeze on Sunday. I am nervous for our new team and am optomistic as well. I hope I don't have a heart attack before Sunday...or while the game is playing. Like I stated the other day, I've almost died twice this preseason and I don't think my heart can take the added excitement....lol. :yikes:

14. done88

done88 Veteran

All I know is the Texans are undefeated in the regular season right now and I'm thinking Super Bowl.

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

i agree with that. Kinda what I was wanting to say. You said it much better.

16. NJ Texan

NJ Texan Rookie

Regardless, I get more and more excited about seeing this new-look Texans team in action for a whole game.

17. AJExplosion80

AJExplosion80 Rookie

I am sure Kubiak has a trick up his sleeve somewhere in this game. The main thing is to stay patient with this team. We have a brutal first half of the season and our talent isn't quite there yet but is coming. The main thing I want to see is progress and Carr playing better maybe not perfect but show some confidence in himself and his wr to make the play for him. This team will get better but we can't judge them on their first few games along with David Carr because remember it took 1 year with Jake plummer in this system to get good at it and look at his season last year. Should be a fun year and let's see some progress.:drool:

18. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I agree with your assesment, but we are going to have to draw a line in the sand at some point with regards to the QB. I know it's still early with the new system and I do feel like David can/will pick it up nicely and be succesful, but if he isn't, we are going to have to start looking at other options. I have no clue as to when that point will be and I hope it doesn't happen, but it is possible. Maybe next year if he does horrible now. I don't know as I am still optomistic that his talent will be able to oversdhadow the failures of the past.

19. real

real Guest

David Doesn't have to play like a number one overall for us to win(although it would help)...David just needs to play as good as Sage did in his pre-season action....I don't think we need superstars on this offense to win...just guys who understand the system and don't make many mistakes...If David is atleast not losing games for us, then he should remain the QB...But if he gets out there and is constantly making mental or physical errors then he will be yanked....

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I hope to G-d that you all that are talking in terms of Kubs "opening up the playbook" are not relying on the revelation of a string of trick plays. If that is all that is available, our 2-14 record seems very reproducible. More than likely, Kubs will concentrate on perfecting the execution of the plays we have already seen in preseason. "Opening up the playbook" will probably include more innovative use of the TE's as well as further developing the longer passing game. I think we'll be seeing more medium and long passes which may sometimes precede the establishment of the running game, and other times the running game will be used to set up the passing game............something that in past years would have been "unthinkable."