Does D.D deserve to remain.....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansTrueFan, Feb 6, 2005.

?

Should D.D remain the starting RB ?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    75.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. If no one better is found

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. undecided

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

Do you think D.Davis deserves to go into and remain the starting RB for the texans ? He rushed for over 1100 yards and 13 touchdowns, he had 588 receiving yards 3rd best on the team ! His longest run was 44 yards and only had 3 runs of 20 yards our more, the same as clinton portis of the redskins !

2. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

i think domanick is like the Brian Westbrook of the AFC, except DD can rush way better then BW. if DD can put together one good season he can easily have 1500 yards rushing and another 500 receiving...he is the real deal

3. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

He should be our starter until someone better is found...

Just like with every other starter on the team...

4. J-Storm

J-Storm Veteran

Of course he should remain the starter. His numbers mightn't have been Jamal Lewis or Priest Holmes like but then again he isn't those guys and our O-line isn't fantastic either (ask David Carr)...

If it ain't broke...

5. Txnpride

Txnpride Veteran

Our o-line didnt do a very good job MOST of the season....and DD still managed a decent year.If we can get the oline fixed....it will make him look like a superstar....it ALL starts up front with the bigboys....if they dont do theyre job....it makes the Qb and the running game look really bad.So....I guess my answer is yes.....keep DD.....unless a someone REALLY special falls into our laps,them make him earn the starting roll/ AHH nothing like a little competition to get the best out of someone

6. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

If no one better is found...
    Westbrook is a bigger threat in both aspects of the game, running and recieving. Westbrook had 130 less carries but still had 2 more 20+ rushes than Davis. And in the passing game, Westbrook only had 5 more catches but about 120 more yards and 5 more TDs. The differences in stats could also be how they are utilized. The Eagles use Westbrook as a third down back even though he is their starter so he doesnt get worn out. The Texans use Davis as a big pounder which doesnt suit him and wears him down easily...

7. fresno8

fresno8 Veteran

DD is our guy. Do we need someone to share carries w/ DD? Yes, but he is definately our guy. A lot (most) of teams would like to have Carr/DD/AJ as their nucleus on offense. Please fix our line Casserly so these guys can show what they're made of.

8. Paragon Blue

Paragon Blue Veteran

I think once he got rid of his turnover problems and got healthy he did very well.

9. TexansTrueFan

shocked by this thread ??? i am a D.D fanatic, and i am happy with most of the responses i'm getting ! Besides the negative few who will never give Davis a chance ! He is the MAN in my opinion though !

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That's right. And getting over fumbling problems is easier said than done. Some RBs are never the same runner, always worrying about securing the ball. Others just fumble throughout their career and teams just live with it. Domanick is now working on a streak of 323 touches without a fumble.

I still think Davis needs another back to help carry the load & I don't think the Texans feel that Wells or Hollings will be that back. But that doesn't mean they go after a high profile FA or spend a 1st round pick on a RB. A 2nd tier FA (like a Najeh Davenport or Anthony Thomas) or a later round rookie could be the answer. But if the Texans continue to run a RB centric offense, a 2nd back must be brought in.

11. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Davis should start the season as the top back. He's done nothing in his two years on the job to deserve a demotion at this point. Like every player on the team if he gets beaten out of the job by someone else then that's the way things go in the NFL. Also if he goes into the season as the starter and doesn't get the job done then of course someone else gets an opportunity. That's also the way things go in the NFL. This is kind of a no-brainer decision really at this point.

Once free agency is over we'll see if someone gets signed who's clearly going to be given a shot at unseating Davis. If that doesn't happen then we go to the draft. If the Texans pick a running back on the first day then I'd have to assume the Texans are going to give this guy a shot at unseating Davis. Then we go to camp and it all shakes out from there.

12. TexansTrueFan

well i know that davis could get beaten out of the starting spot, this is more of a question to whether yall think he is good enough and the right guy for the job. I've just heard so many different opinions on him, i was wanting to see what the majority thought. And it looks like most like davis thus far.

13. wiley2002

wiley2002 Veteran

You get a guy like DD and they want Emmit Smith incarnate.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Davis needs help and we will bring in another back. With a short 16 game schedule, and a 'one loss and out' playoff format, you need a guy who is durable or need some semblance of rbbc because DD doesn't run well nicked up and all it takes is one nicked up game in the playoffs and you go home. I have the feeling we draft another 4th round RB and will go into the year with Davis, Hollings and the rookie next season.

15. TexansTrueFan

vinny you seriously think that hollings can make an impact ? I mean we've had the guy 2 years and he is ALWAYS hurt, some question Davis durability, but i can gurantee that he is way more durable than hollings !

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

funny thing is that when DD went down, Wells had 2 good games and people took notice and said "wow, look at Wells" and off the top of my head, I can't remember if wells had 2 100 yard games or just 1... My point is we have solid RB's but no one spectacular and strike fear in a defense. we have backs that have a hard time making people miss on a regular basis and a defense is scared to leave us one on one in the flat

DD is definitely our starter till someone better comes along and it is his job to lose

17. TexansTrueFan

so your telling me that D.D isnt good at making people miss ? Cause from what i see he is actually really good at fooling defenders and picking up extra yardage !

18. Vinny

It's possible, but I really never made that point in my post.

19. TexansTrueFan

haha na vinny i wasnt saying ya made that point, i was more or less asking if ya thought he could make an impact or not ! i honestly dont think he can.

20. Vinny

I still think it is a possiblity. For instance, it took Kevin Greene 4 years to record his 17th NFL regular season sack. He went on to many Pro Bowls, and multiple double digit sack years after his 3 year learning period. Some guys take longer to mature than others.