Does anybody know why AJ always....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by thunderkyss, Dec 29, 2008.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Points to the sideline before every snap??

I don't ever see any other Wide Reciever do it.

2. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Old habit. You see a lot of high school and college wideouts do it. They are actually pointing at the down marker (line of scrimmage) to make sure they are not lined up in the neutral zone.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Most receivers do it, something they learn in middle school in order to tie off with the sideline judge to make sure they are on the line.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

I thought it was the WR pointing to the line judge to verify that he is set, and not offsides.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Last two posters are the winners. Checking with the side official about their alignment.

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The tackles must have be capped with an end on the LOS...split or tight. AJ only does this when capping the tackle. If he is on the TE side he lines up off the line and doesn't point since he isn't lining up on the line capping the tackle.

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I have wondered this myself. I can see checking the LOS or whatever, but I'm not sure what purpose pointing does.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

confirming it with the line judge and capturing his attention means you probably won't be called in an illegal formation since you do this by habit.

9. txchick1971

txchick1971 SassyRedneck

yep...my kid does it. The coaches taught him that to get lined up with the refs and not offsides

10. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

I thought he was pointing to his Mama.

Oh wait, that's Jacoby. Nevermind.

11. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I say next season we get Jacoby's mom seats in each end zone for home & away games. Maybe bring his grandmother too. It can't hurt. Also someone needs to put some super glue on JJ's hands. He's got to stop muffing punts.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Y'all are all wrong. Andre is pointing at the sideline judge but he's saying, "Yo ref... check out this catch!"

Texan_Bill likes this.
  13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Nice!!!!

14. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

LOL, I like this one the best!!! Good one Ole Miss!!

My grandson does this also. He told me he is signaling to the line ref that they are on the line and ready.

15. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

As an aside, the Jets split Favre out wide on a play last night. They then had to call time out because he didn't cover the tackle and they didn't want to take the penalty.

16. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

the refs dig it and its become part of his presnap routine. kids do it at our games and it shows that they are into the game mentally.

if dude keeps this level of play up and the Texans as a team, enjoy some success. Not necessarily a SB Championship but a few playoff berths and some postseason success and numbers, AJ could be the Texans first player to be inducted into the NFL Football Hall of Fame. He is THAT good and is a joy to watch. Pure professional and like another Houston sports legend (Hakeem) was a humble yet hungry warrior. In an era of loudmouth losing WRs who have never won squat (pre-NE Moss, Owens, Chad Johnson, Meyshawn) AJ is a breath of fresh air and may get some media love over his contemporaries because of his class and demeanor.

AJ is cut more from the Michael Irvin cloth (on the field of course) where winning is paramount and the team ALWAYS came first before your own numbers or touches. The personal accolades will all come once you start winning, and I think AJ gets that just like Irvin did. It's a shame that other current Cowboys WRs have yet to realize that.

I think he may end up the Texans first 2008 1st Team All-Pro though. It should be AJ and Steve Smith on the 1st Team. If Welker gets the nod, I may puke.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008