DoD Shatters Campbell's NFL Dreams

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by texasguy346, Jul 23, 2008.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

link

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

That's the price for a West Point education...

Roger Staubach (Naval Academy) and Rocky Bleier (drafted) went on to have successful careers after their respective military obligations were completed.

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

... in an entirely different era, under different circumstances within the NFL. It's doubtful that Campbell will ever have a chance to play in the NFL again.

4. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I know he is obligated and all that jazz, I served in the USAF and understand the commitment aspect of it. But the Army is really screwing the pooch on this one by reversing their stance. Had it been the stance all along then I would probably not say that, but to pull an about face on it's previous decision is bad publicity. They should stand behind their original decision.

This guy would make one heck of a recruiter and really advertise the Army, it would be talked about almost every time he played. In my guesstimation it would pay far greater dividends back to the Army.

As far as the cost of a West Point education, the DOD can credit every penny of my untouched 40K GI Bill to him, that would cover at least a portion of it.

dc_txtech likes this.
  5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

That's the price you pay for becoming government issue. See the NSZ for further elaboration.

6. Texan_Bill

True enough.

But by the same token - 10 years from now, that sheepskin on his wall will still be worth a pretty penny!!!

7. Texan_Bill

That's a pretty good point, though.

BOOOOOOO!!!! You never used your GI Bill money?? I loved receiving my checks once a month for ~ $855.00. That was righteous money in college.

8. Hardcore Texan

I still have a 2 years to start using it. :)

9. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

The reversal of their stance is what gets me, nothing more, just the reversal. Seems that's a less than honorable way to be while a person is making the most important choices of his life.

It sort of brings Animal House to mind where Otter tells Flounder, "You ****** up - you trusted us!"

10. Texan_Bill

You better get on that....

Hardcore: "Honey, I'm going back to school"
    Mrs. Hardcore: [laughing] "Yeah okay honey..... thats greeeeaaaaaaat!!"

11. Hardcore Texan

That's pretty much how it goes.

*heads home to search for listening device planted by TB*

Texan Asylum likes this.
  12. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

Wow - that's suprising considering how much pub the kid got. In anycase, he'll be an officer with a West Point education. He'll be just fine.

But its like the chief told us when we got activated a few years back: "If you're here, and you don't want to be here - it's because you f'ed up... this is a volunteer service, etc..."

Glad to see other vets on this board. I've been in the USAF for over ten years (6 active/4 Reserve). I'm currently an Air Reserve Technician (ART) over here at Lackland. It's a M-F government gig thats tethered to a reserve slot.

Off Topic: They are changing the GI Bill in Aug of 2009. It has some pretty good benefits for those who served post 11 Sept 01.
    Check out this site for more info: Post 911 GI Bill Factsheet

13. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I've got the same issue. They look bad by reversing their position, and all indications were that Campbell might not even make the roster. So they might not have even needed to reverse their decision. Someone made a great point about him being a great asset in terms or recruiting if he had made the team. He & the Army would be talked about every time the Lions played a game. That's a lot of free advertising. I'm sure he'll be a fine officer, but he was certainly an interesting story for the short time he was in the NFL.

14. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Does Detroit get their 7th rounder back... or is this considered like a retirement and they will just retain "ownership" of him if/until he comes back?

15. Texan_Bill

I think he would remain property of the Lions. Not 100% sure, though.

16. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

I think he is only held for one season unless he is signed.

17. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I believe he's already signed because there was some question as to if he would be able to retain his signing bonus. So my guess is that the Lions will have his rights so long as they don't waive/release him. I'm guessing that the Lions will likely release him shortly since he has no chance of playing for them. I can't imagine them giving him a roster spot with the new limits.

18. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

the army should be punched in its face. This is sad and stupid. What a dumb decision by an even dumber organization

19. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I think the Lions hold his rights for a while. Who was the DL from Air Force that showed up on the Cowboys door step after JJ bought the team? He had been drafted during the Landry era and served out his committment before he played in the NFL. Not sure how that worked, maybe he was just a FA when they finally signed him.

20. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Well...he had a contract before signing his NFL contract. Yeah it's kind of shitty of them to change their minds but its well within their right. Plus having grown up and my last duty station being attached to an Army unit (me being USAF); the Army could use some strong young bright leaders.