Do You think Chris simms is a good fit?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by LCOOL, Jan 12, 2006.

1. LCOOL

LCOOL Rookie

There has been so much talk about how Reggie Bush or VY could fit into the Texans Scheme, what do you think about Chris Simms, here is a quote from ESPN insider: By leading the Buccaneers to a division title, QB Chris Simms has raised his stock enormously. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that at least four teams, including the Lions, Jets and Dolphins, are interested in Simms, who began the season as the backup to Brian Griese.
    Simms is a restricted free agent who would require draft pick compensation for any team signing him if the Bucs don't get a long-term deal done with the lefty.

2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

NO!I don't care what he did this year, he still does nothing for me and would just cause headaches for all Texan fans.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I wish the best for Simms and have been a proponent of his before he entered high school. But I do not want to see him in a Texans uniform.

4. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

Yeah sure he would be a good fit. So would VY. But we have someone already fitting in where they would. Let's try to fit someone into that oline. That TE spot. That 2nd wide receiver spot. Let's stick with our 3rd round pick out of Louisville for our backup. Let's see if we can get anything out of that pick one day. Let's get us another CB, a safety, some linebackers. We're probably gonna switch to a 4-3 so I guess we need some more d lineman. Man, all these needs, and everyone wants a QB and a RB.

5. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

He went to UT, of course he'd be a good fit!

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

For his own sake, I think he should stay with Chucky Gruden a little while longer.

7. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I'm still amazed at home my fellow Longhorn fans hate Chris Simms. I wish him the best wherever he goes.

8. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

At the risk of being really, really redundant ... Simms led them to the playoffs, sure, and laid a big fat egg.

I contend that the Bucs made the playoffs in spite of Simms, or maybe "utilizing" Simms ... not because of Simms.

Sure, say something like "I wish David Carr could be so bad as to lead his team to the playoffs" ... but I don't think Simms has shown us anything yet.

Simms has been a big-game choke artist since day one, which, to VY's credit ... I do not think there is a tremendous difference between VY's Longhorns and Chris Simms' Longhorns; both played for similarly loaded teams. Difference being, Vince Young didn't choke, he stepped up.

(Though I would liked to see Vince go up against a real Sooners squad. I am not saying he would have lost, only that it would have been a great game. Sad how that team fell off this year.)

Any way, I digress. No to Simms, he hasn't proven anything yet.

Texans Horror likes this.

9. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

The real question should be ... Would you take Dave Ragone over Simms? Our "brilliant" GM did.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

It is this type of venom that is spewed that I do not understand. You would swear he is the son of Bill and Hilary Clinton the way that kid is slandered.

11. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

All I remember of Simms' career was that he put up modest to good stats, year after year for UT, and then against OU, would go something like 0 TDs/4 INTs.

I passionately dislike the Sooners. Simms was my hope for beating them, and year after year, UT did not get it done. Year after year, the kid was a turnover factory.

I know that I am generalizing and oversimplifying his career with that sort of analysis, but honestly, to me, Simms is just another good college QB who hasn't made an impression on me at the pro level. He didn't step up in the wild card game, and prior to that, he has one pretty good regular season to his credit. If his stock is as high as it is being suggested, then he will command close to what Carr will as a free agent.

Make more sense now?

12. LCOOL

LCOOL Rookie

I agree with you that are a lot needs that need to get met, and QB is one of them, so many people have been talking VY, but they all forgot there is a longhorn that is already in the NFL that will become a Unrestricted free agent and his name is Chris Simms. The QB issue is only the begining, why hasn't Charlie Casserly address issues like TE, OL , DL etc. dont be suprised if unlce Charlie trades down the no.1 pick for some draft choice that will not make any difference, I just for the Texans sake hope they sack Cassrely and get a real GM that can draft.

13. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

If the Texans had the defense that the Bucs have we would be in the playoffs.

14. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Better yet lets get Major Applewhite out of his deal with Rice, he has the "it" factor just like VY.

15. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Maybe we could be playing the Broncos and he could have flashbacks to the Colorado Big XII game start throwing picks and fumbling and then we could call Major Applewhite in, since he is Rice's new O-ccordinator, to bail him out.

I'm not a UT guy hatin. Just a Simms watcher.

16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If you want to talk about his value as an NFL free agent I welcome the conversation. But the hyperbole due to past transgressions as a collegiate player and how they shape the here and now is nothing more than emotion blinding judgement.

As I have said I do not want to see Simms in a Texans uniform. But one could argue who got more value out of the QB position the last three years - Bucs vs. Texans.

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

The only game at Texas that I truly blame Simms for was the Big 12 Championship against Colorado. That game is all on him. He didn't drop those 3 deep passes at the end of the Oregon game in the Holiday Bowl. I blame Greg Davis for some horrible offensive game plans and play calls (can we have a 1 yard flat pass ONE MORE TIME please?). He started to do the same thing to Young too. Young spoke up and they changed their philosophy at midseason last year (2004). Greg Davis nearly ruined Young too.

That past weekend, Simms was efficient with his passing (25/38, 65.8%). He threw one pass that was bad, but his other INT was a result of a D-lineman batting it. He threw a perfect pass in the 4th quarter that looked like a game tying TD against the Redskins (does anyone here understand why that pass to Sheppard wasn't considered a TD catch?). He had a few dropped balls too. Right now Galloway is his only deep threat.

The Skins took that away and Gruden fell for the trap. I don't know how many times they called a short pass on 3rd down that resulted in a 4th and 2-3 situation. Doesn't anyone actually try to PASS for a first down any more(instead of trying to get it with YAC)? It looked like something straight out of Herm Edward's playbook.

I'm really tired of fellow Longhorns immortalizing Applewhite and villianizing Simms. Applewhite had plenty of horrible games (I still feel the pain of the '99 Big 12 Championship and every game he started against KSU). Both had their moments and their struggles. It is just amazing to me how easily fans can be swayed by popular opinion.

18. Chance_C

Chance_C Site Contributor

Yeah there definately are. But to me (at this point), QB is not a glaring need. If I were grading DC I would give him an incomplete. He has some strenghts, and he has some weaknesses. Who doesn't? I want to give him a chance with our future staff (crossing fingers for Kubiak and co.). I think he can succeed at this level as a Houston Texan. Never would I say that I don't want Vince Young on our team, but now is not the time.

19. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

The Tampa Bay message boards have had a lot of traffic over Griese/Simms, and they have similar pro/con arguements as to what we are seeing here, so I won't go over it. But for TB, it seems to be almost as big a debate as Young/Bush is on these boards.

I, too, think that Simms laid an egg. There are a lot of people who disagree. He didn't throw outright interceptions is the point I am hearing being made. His balls were tipped. He was just a little unlucky. However, I go back to his UT days where he was not a clutch QB, not a come-from-behind QB, but a lost-the-big-game QB. According to what I am hearing from Bucs fans, he has performed well, though, and he has had several come-from-behind victories, including Washington and Atlanta. Looking at the stats, I think he is playing much better. I think that Tampa Bay will keep him and that he will work better the older he gets.

And I think Carr is a better QB than Simms; there's no reason to take him.

20. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

Chris Simms over David Carr is like Treat over Spam.