Do you really want a Super Bowl winning head coach?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hookem Horns, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Has any coach ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different franchises? I googled a bit and couldn't come up with one. A few have gotten back but not won, like Parcells.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I would settle for a coach that's had a winning season. :shades:

WWJD likes this.
  3. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Like Dom Capers? :ahhaha:

4. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Holmgren went with two different teams and came close to winning 3 SB's actually. They barely lost that 2nd SB to Elway and that team that he had to work with in Seattle really wasn't that great in my opinion. I thought they over achieved honestly and almost won that SB against Cowher and the Steelers.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I expect any coach we hire here in Houston to spark a series of "firsts". I expect him to be the first coach for the Texans to post a winning season for instance. Asking him to also be the first head coach to ever take a second team to a Super Bowl and win seems like a small matter indeed compared to that.

And Dick Vermiel took the Eagles to the Super Bowl and lost, then decades later took the Rams there and won so he actually did better on his second team.

6. Double Barrel

Sadly, his record is better than Kubiak's at this point (with regards to resume). He's not only had a winning season (yeah, o.k., just one), but he's been to a conference championship game as a HC. I'm not defending the guy, but it's clear that he did not have a hand in picking his GM, his coaches, or his goofy starting QB. His hands were tied when he took the job. Kubiak's hands are just being held by the owner instead.

7. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Tony Dungy

If you count the Buccaneers 2002 SB Win

8. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Hindsight's 20/20, but I don't know what made Casserly and McNair ever think that Capers would be a good coach for this team.

The guy had one winning season in his career to that point. Even then, he had the benefit of a favorable expansion draft.

To your point, I don't really care if a Super Bowl winning HC came here or not. I think they had the right formula when they started the Texans.

1. Strong GM
    2. Defensive-minded coach

The problem is that the ingredients were totally wrong.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

There has been a number of coaches to take 2 franchises to the SB, but not to win with both...

Some have lost both.

Any coach that could take the Texans to a SB would be fine with me.

10. Double Barrel

Hindsight is 20/20, but I don't know what made McNair ever think that Casserly would be a good GM for any team. Dude has not worked for an NFL team since he left here, and there is good reason for that.

11. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Yes we cant even reach the playoffs much less a SB !!!!!!!!!!!!

12. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Cowher yes. Gruden NO.

13. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

To be fair, the Bucs decimated the Raiders in that game because Gruden was so familiar with the offense that he coached the defense to exploit all the offensive calls and to know exactly what plays were going to be run at what moment. The week before the Super Bowl Gruden practiced as Rich Gannon to give the team an idea of exactly how and when Rich wanted to throw the ball.

But I'm definitely not arguing that Gruden rode Dungy's coattails. I'm just saying there's a bit more to coaching than just having talent (Unfortunately, as much as I hate to admit it, I would have to concede the same thing to Barry Switzer).

14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

But, you can't, since Dungy couldnt win with that team.

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Everybody gets on Gruden for taking Tony Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and I'm not here to dispute that.

I'd just like to point out that Bill Callahan took John Gruden's team to that same Super Bowl and nobody ever points that out.

I don't think Gruden is the man for the job (our job) but I don't know why he's dismissed by so many people either. It's not like he's Barry Switzer or something. He coached for 11 years and only posted 3 losing seasons and has a ring.

In short he's probably a better coach than anybody to ever take a Houston NFL team on to the field with the possible exception of Bum Phillips.

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wally Lemm?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

A career .500 coach I'm afraid. 4 losing seasons in 10 years though he did have a ring.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

His team went 10-0 for him in '61 to get him that ring after he took over for Rymkus

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

I have never cared for Gruden.

There's just something there that, to me, doesn't add up.

Quirky, football-minded personality. Enthusiastic. Blunt. Seems like he has the football head coach act down to a science/art.

But I still can't put my finger on why I always felt he was overrated or not nearly as big of a winner as his track record points toward.

Look, everybody needs to just slow down and have these discussions this time next season. Because Gurry Kubiak will be back for 2010.

Slow and steady wins the race...

20. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I'm not huge on the Gruden wagon, I just hate when people completly dismiss his Super Bowl ring. Rdeally bugs me. There are alot of worse canidates than Gruden. He would have to be on a short list, IMO.