Do you really think Foster's Success is Linked to Leach?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Schaub2Dre, Jul 30, 2011.

?

Is Leach the Key to Foster's Success?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Schaub2Dre

Schaub2Dre Rookie

Vonta has been here since the beginning of the Kubiak era and has started all 16 games for the past four seasons.

Here is the breakdown for total team rushing yards for since the Texans began play in 2002:

2002: 1,347
    2003: 1,651
    2004: 1,882
    2005: 1,816
    2006: 1,687
    2007: 1,586
    2008: 1,846
    2009: 1,475
    2010: 2,042

If you average the 4 Capers years, the average team rushing yards was 1,674.

Now if you just average the first 4 years Leach has been here(2006-2009) the average was 1649. 25 yards lower than the Capers era.

You guys obviously know that in 2010, it was the largest rushing total for the team ever when Arian Foster started.

So it brings me to my point, is Leach honestly the key to Foster's success? or are there other reasons why he had the season he did (ie; Fosters actual talent and drive to succeed, the addition of Wade Smith, O-line Chemistry, Chris Meyers' improvement, etc.)

If Leach is gone because of the money, I honestly would be okay with that. The team found Leach from the scrapheap, i'm sure they can find a competent replacement to him.

In conclusion, if Leach comes back, great. If not, i'm not going to be crying over him and proclaiming our rushing game is over.

2. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

It has been repeated a lot:this offense Kubiak runs can make a godo RB. Terrell Davis in Denver was another great example. The RB still has to run it though but it does make it easier.

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

The Denver offense makes mediocre RBS look good, good look great, and great look like top players. During the Shanny run in Denver they only had 2 elite rbs: Portis and Davis. When they were there they were top RBs in the league.

But, the key to the offense is creating a hole. Having a stud FB to bash a hole makes it easier for everyone involved. Leach has always been great at busting up a hole. The problem is he has never had anyone quick enough to take advantage of it. While Ron Dayne would get to the hole and get 3 yards, Foster gets 9. While Dayne broke off a 15 yard run, Foster broke off 55.

We need to resign Leach.

4. TheBigpaki

TheBigpaki Veteran

I heard a stat on sports radio 610 saying Leach was only on the field for 38% of offense plays, and not all the plays were running play. So I don't know how much he really made an impact. I think Foster's success can be attributed to having the perfect guy for a system. Foster is an ideal one-cut and go Running Back.

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

For me it is both Leach's devastating blocks and Foster's power. We have had runners behind Leach who did nothing compared to Foster. I think Foster behind another good if not great Fb woud do almost as well. I would still sign Leach if possible. I would trade a 2&4 for Asante Samuel & try to work something For Shane Lechler.

6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Until I see proof that Dayne had a 15 yd run, I'm hollering BS on this. LOL

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's not a 100% or 0% proposition. Yes Fosters success is linked to Leach but not so much so that we need to do whatever he demands.

8. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Foster got quite a few of his yds out of a single back set. I think Leach is an important piece of the puzzle, but not the key piece. I hope we can re-sign him.

9. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

Better hope not:

10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Within reason, of course.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I believe his value in short yardage and goal line situations is too easily underestimated. Especially in the latter where the field is so compressed, the light weight nimble O-line looses it effectiveness and a lead plow with mass and power becomes invaluable.

12. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

13. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

We should gameplan to stay out of these situations on offense and defense. :fieldgoal

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

something that cant be overstated is vonta's health over his career, including playing in every game the last 4+ seasons. for a human battering ram, that's quite a feat and one of the things making his request to be highly paid a somewhat reasonable one.

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I think we'll lose an element of smashmouth, ball(clock) control without Leach .... and I do think we lose him on dollars.

There's a team chemistry loss too as he's tight with AJ/Foster/etc.

16. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

Law of averages says he is overdue for a breakdown then.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but it is true.

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

There are plenty of good FB's available for cheap. Save the money and use it on defense. That is if he sticks to his current demands to be the highest payed FB.

18. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

YES! Simply because Arian Foster said so!! Don't ask the fans, ask the man Vonte blocked for!!

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  19. Trail.Blazr

Trail.Blazr All Pro

The biggest reason is the O-Line. I'm going to try and remember the last time a Texans line was as good as it was last year?

20. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Losing him would be devastating. Not because Foster isn't capable of doing it by himself, but....it would be a really bad thing.