Do You Like the Name Texans?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GuerillaBlack, Aug 21, 2008.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Today, some Cowboy fans who keep saying the Texans have the worst name in the league. They call it "a high school team name". What do you think about the name?

For me, I luvs it. :fans:

2. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Was there not a former Dallas team named the Texans? Seems like a weak arguement that you should easily win, GuerillaBlack.

These days, whenever I hear the name Cowboys, the first thing that pops in my noodle is the homo cowboy movie (not that there's anything wrong with the TB's of the World). The Brokeback Cowboy or something like that.

The Cownads can flaunt their SB's and scoreboard, but IMO, there's no way they can degrade the Texans name.

:texflag:

4. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Well since some Dallas fans say its no good, we should probably have it changed.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I like it but am not a fan of the helmet if you want my honest opinion. I mean those guys should learn that there was a Texans before.

6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I don't mind it but I would rather they had gone with the 'Apollos.' Would have fallen in line with the space themed teams in Houston.

7. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Well Houston is about to get a 2nd light rail line, making us one of the few cities that have a few, so maybe the Houston Literails...and the logo could be some tracks going across the helmet...

:thinking: , on second thought, nevermind ..

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I like the name... although I'm not a HUGE fan of it.. I like it.

I love the uniforms though.. especially the logo and helmet. They're my favorite in the league.:texans:

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

I was raised to be very proud of my state and probably more so than saying I am an American.. American is given, but I was raise where you weren't just American, but a Texan..

And when they named the Texans as a team, I was ecstatic because (I know silly) but with the way Bob McNair runs this organization and with the classy individuals on the team and in managment makes me proud of them representing Texas...

I don't know what I would think if the Texans organization was switched with the Bengals... It would be a hard pill to swallow knowing your organization has a bunch of players that are getting arrested and such (and yes I was embarrassed of the Cowboys back then with all there arrests )

ok off of my soap box

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Anyone can say they are a Cowboy even if they live in Missouri, Denver, Arizona, Florida, Alabama,Nevada etc....

But only those of us who , under the Grace of God, were born or live in this state can say they are Texans!!!!!

DiehardChris and Double Barrel like this.
  11. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

i like the name and we're keeping it.......so there

12. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I would think you would see the Cowboys name being used at the high school level before you would ever see the Texans being used.

13. KEYE SUX

KEYE SUX Veteran

I think those cowgirl fans are just jealous. We in the great state of TEXAS are very proud to live in this state. This is why you see Texas Edition vehicles and so forth. Now as a high school name, I can think of more high schools being Cowboys than Texans.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Texans name can only be used in Texas

Cowboys. well Oklahoma State and Wyoming took the liking to the name also

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I never liked it and don't to this day, but I'm used to it by now. But the name has absolutely no meaning and it's void of any imagination and was obviously chosen for purely commercial reasons.
    Shame on you Mr. McNair, are you that insecure about being a Houstonian ?

16. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

It's ok. I preferred the Apollos myself.

I have always thought the Saints had the best unis, best helmets, best name of NFL teams.

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

The Dallas Texans weren't the only professional team named Texans before this current franchise.. The Houston Texans / Shreveport cleveland Steamers....

[​IMG]

Point is, its been used before in both Dallas and Houston.

As far as your man-crushes for Heath Ledger and that other dude, maybe you and Hobie could re-enact some of your favorite scenes. While I on the other hand take pride in knowing that to this day I still haven't seen it... Although we all witnessed the sequel (Bronx Back Mound) play out between Clemens and Pettite...

18. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

I thought it was kinda unimaginative when they came out with the name, but I've grown used to it I suppose.

19. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think the name, logo, and colors couldnt be better.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  20. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Let me share a little story,

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians ?
    Indianapolis Indianans?
    Jacksonville Floridians?
    New York New Yorkers
    and the
    Houston Texans

maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me.

DoCRoN, Specnatz, Speedy and 3 others like this.