Do we pick up any new players this week?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Aug 15, 2010.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

It seems Tate is headed to IR and Slaton still has fumbilitis. Do we scour the waiver wire or start sending out trade proposals for a RB that we can depend on to help carry the rushing load with Foster? Or do we hope JJ or Henry can step up in a big way for us?

This team will have a losing record if Schaub misses significant time. Neither of our backup QBs have what it takes to win in the NFL without significant help (EX: A suffocating defense/strong running game). Do we just plan for Schaub to stay healthy the entire season or try to find a way to get a competent QB into camp?

2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I think Dan O would be average enough to keep the O going, even if not smoothly. I doubt there is much f/a wise and trades are rare but I just don't see many new faces showing up for RB.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

There aren't going to be a lot of cuts of good players until the end of preseason. So there's not a lot to scour at this point.

Unless we make an offer to someone like a Jeff Garcia or a Brian Westbrook. What guys are even available right now?

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I heard Willis Mcgahee is up for a trade right now. What's wrong with sending them a low rounder. I know Willis would've scored from the one. He had like 10 TDs last year from that far out.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the old regime was all set on taking McGahee in 2003 w/3rd overall selection then he tore his acl, in stepped his teammate Andre Johnson & the rest is history. that being said it would kinda be fun to reunite former Canes :)

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't know what Westbrook has left, but the Texans need to place a call to Garcia based upon what I saw from Orlovsky.

Nothing. If this season is about winning, and not improving, then the Texans place that call.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

He's damn good in the redzone too.

8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

This team is ultra thin at defensive end. After the Big 3 (Mario, Smith, Barwin) there's a huge drop off. Nading and Jamison really didn't make any significant impact outside of a few run plays last night. Egboh Pannel was surprisingly decent and hes a huge DE but nothing special. Mitch Unrein (#60) got in for a few snaps too and did nothing. I'm guessing they'll be playing with a new DE in the mix next week.

9. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

How about trying to get McGahee in return for Jaques Reeves?

We are deep at Corner and that is where the Ravens are in desperate need of a #3, Reeves would be a good fit for them in that role and we are so deep at Corner that we'll likely be cutting a good player at the position before the season starts.

Sounds to me like a something for nothing deal from our point of view, Reeves will be #4/5 CB for us IF he makes the team, and in 24 hours we've gone from having a 3 RB rotation to a fumbly scat back and an undrafted FA as our feature back :pop:

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Sounds like a win for the Texans. I don't know if this team is "deep" at CB. But, I don't think David Gibbs is crazy about Reeves. Not sure how much the Ravens would want him, either.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I say try to get Schobel and perhaps get some more O-Line help... Foster still looks good, JJ looked smooth as well and Slaton moved much better than last year. Just work on the fumbling issue and he should be fine.

I´d say we have more glaring needs than HB, especially since Tate should be back next season.

12. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

They want a CB in return. Unfortunetly we dont have enough depth to give them any decent offers. Maybe they would go for Reeves and a pick. But what does that leave us with.

Jackson
    Quinn
    McCain
    McMannis
    Molden
    Bennett

That would leave you with a total of 2 years experience out of your top 4 CB's. No thanks.

13. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Reeves plus a late rounder for McGahee. I'd do that in a heart beat.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Count me in on that.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Perhaps we could get him for just Reeves.

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

For a long time last season McGahee looked... old. He did show flashes at times, and in the playoffs against NE, but he doesn`t have much left in the tank.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

What's Daunte Culpepper doing now days?

18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Jeff Garcia is needed in my opinion. Our backups just aren't up to the task and it's a crime right now if somebody like Jeff Garcia is out of work but Orlovsky is taking home a paycheck. Schaub/Garcia/Orlovsky would be good depth.

I wonder if they're thinking that Rosenfels gets cut? I'd welcome him back with open arms right now.

As far as the RB's go I think we're set, though obviously weaker. Foster/Slaton/Johnson/Henry will get it done.

If we add anybody I think it needs to be Schobel. I still hope that happens at some point in the coming weeks.

19. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

Sage ripped STL a new one last night. I don't think Minny cuts him.

20. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You guys are all aware that Jeff Garcia is going to play for the UFL right?

I guess these boards need to have a backup QB on the Texans roster that they think can take them to the superbowl in order to feel right. I mean Garcia is only 40 years old, I'm sure he'd be just great.