Do the Texans target a WR in FA?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, May 10, 2011.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

If and when that may actually happen...

Smith would be a welcomed addition, but at what cost?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/204326/football-headlines?r=1

2. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

For the right price I'd love to bring in Smith.

I think he has alot left and was just stuck in a terrible situation last year.

Put him with Andre, look out!

3. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Me too. I would not overpay though for him.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Smith hasn't had a good season since 2008. Part of that was the Carolina QB situation, to be sure. But, another part is that Smith has lost some of his dynamic speed and quickness. He was never a technically good receiver, he mainly made his living on YAC running short slants. I just don't think Smith is what the Texans would be looking for in a FA WR.

buddyboy likes this.
  6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Steve Smith would murder defenses as a slot or even a #2 if AJ is on the other side. Obviously it'd depend on how much money he wanted but picking up a guy that's as hungry as he is wouldn't be a bad thing for this team. Plus he's a pretty good blocker which you know is something this FO loves.

Also, I don't know why you think he was never technically good, he's been a great WR1 for many years.

Think about this for a second Lucky: Cortland Finnegan covering Steve Smith.

7. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Being 5'9 I would say he is better than Jones.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

What I mean is that Smith is not a great route runner. That's a big reason Jacoby Jones hasn't made a big impact in this offense. Combine that with Smith's declining quicks and it adds up to a WR that doesn't add much to this offense. The Steve Smith of 2008 is not available. And the Steve Smith of 2011 is not the Steve Smith of 2008.

9. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Smith is still plenty quick enough, he's had all of 4 good games out of Matt Moore in the last 2 years. He's more like a TO and not a Randy Moss. He is great at coming out of his breaks and fighting tooth and nail for ever yard and every ball. He can do plenty of damage behind the defense as well but he's definitely more a prize fighter willing to go over the middle, make tough catches and fight for what he earns. Having a good QB and somebody else to take the heat off of him and I bet he can still put up one or two more 1,000 yard seasons.

10. mariowillshine15

I would still take 2011 Steve Smith over any year Kevin Walter.

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He would still help a playoff team which the Texans hope and should be by now.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Why does it have to be either/or?
    I think you may have hit on why Smith has declined. He's a tough guy, but at 185 lbs, Smith may be beat up. In contrast, the 225 lb TO looks to still have game. If you're looking for a vet CB, Owens has more left in the tank than Smith, plus is a better fit in this offense.

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You can easily point to Smith's decline as being Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore. He is obviously looking for a chance to get back into the playoffs so I don't think he wants a huge payday. I don't know but I did ask a die hard Panther fan about his route running and this is what he said:

He is 31, but he's certainly no Ahman Green, for the right price he'd definitely be an upgrade of Walter/Jacoby/Whomever else you want throw out there that is currently on the roster.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/235157/steve-smith

Smith has seen double teams throughout his career, especially as the only viable WR option on the field..........and he has routinely eluded them or given those defenders carpet burns. He also is a heck of a blocker. All in all, I believe that his loss of speed may reverse itself to some extent when he is "fresher" on the field having options taking down his previously unrelenting burden.............and maybe, he'll even punch out a Texans player or two if they don't hold up their own.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'd give up a 3rd for him.

BoB wont, he's no chior boy.

16. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

but he is not actually a bad guy (off field especially). At time agressive and comes from a hard background, but mutiple inerviews have shown that he has a pretty clear long term head, bascially because of what he went through. If he is too much a of a bad guy, then we have no hope ever.

17. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

18. mariowillshine15

He had a few incidents where he punched teammates so i think that's what he was referring to.

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Totally agree here. Add to that, Steve Smith is a total gamer. When that guy is motivated and ready to play he's all bite. Don't mistake this dude as some flash in the pan guy who had a few nice seasons. Hell,. I think some people are forgetting about how Steve Smith totally punked the entire Texans defense on that one play which is one of the best offensive plays I've ever seen on a football field where his 5'10 ass broke like 7 tackles from Texans players humiliating our defense. He'd be great here no doubt.

We'll never do it though, because Smith has a bad history of having a bad temper. He broke the gamble's nose in practice one day and had another altercation with another player several years ago. He's a real hot head, and we all know that Bob won't touch players like these if it's already known.

I do think we need to spend the money on the defense in free agency any way. We still need to get some help in the secondary and try to find a guy for the middle. Although I highly doubt we'll go after anyone major. Smith is a nice pipe dream.

20. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

lol i posted it earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILs1ALU3O0