Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do the Texans get national respect now?

JJ Watt and Arian Foster have been representing the Texans well on the national scene. I'm not sure what other perceived respect is required by downtrodden Texan fan, but I have not seen anyone really disrespecting the 2012 Texans.

You earn respect in this league. Now, if you are talking press coverage, then be a circus like the Jets. But coverage =/= respect, so don't get the two confused.

I like having a low profile 'lunch box' team. They all subscribe to the "just a game" mentality after they win and they play one game at a time without looking ahead and hyping themselves with b.s.

The bold is key. You nailed it. Some people just don't understand the difference between respect and media coverage. They don't necessarily go hand in hand. You will have great teams that get very little coverage (Texans, Giants, etc), bad teams that get tons of coverage (Jets as you mentioned), and good to great teams that get tons of coverage (Patriots, Packers).

We get quite a bit of respect. Maybe we don't get as much coverage, but I am ok with that.

You got 5 games on national Tv this year including Thanksgiving day.....I think that is gettting some respect.
But you got to win those national games too.
We are 2-1 this year.
We should get 4 or 5 games nationally next year.....
Just keep winning.....

I won't think we have national respect until Matt Schaub is doing DirectTV commercials

peyton-manning-tapenade-300x273.png

I see Andre Johnson image as the backdrop for one of the shows on the nfl network. I see clips of them on espn and read about my team just about anywhere. I don't care if chris Berman or chtis collonsworth don't bob our knob the way they do teams like Dallas or nyj or ne. What I've always wanted is to root for a winner and after 8 years of krap or mediocrity that is way more important than attention and praise. I really don't understand the need to be wanted and loved by people that aren't fans. We are finally good and the record indicates that not the number of times they show Texan highlights.

I see Andre Johnson image as the backdrop for one of the shows on the nfl network. I see clips of them on espn and read about my team just about anywhere. I don't care if chris Berman or chtis collonsworth don't bob our knob the way they do teams like Dallas or nyj or ne. What I've always wanted is to root for a winner and after 8 years of krap or mediocrity that is way more important than attention and praise. I really don't understand the need to be wanted and loved by people that aren't fans. We are finally good and the record indicates that not the number of times they show Texan highlights.

Didn't you once "live down by the river"?? :thinking:

RESPECT PLUS!

The AP Pro 32 panel unanimous..................Houston ranks #1
HOUSTON TEXANS (1)

Chris Berman (ESPN, 1) - Forceful on both sides of football.

Clifton Brown (Sporting News, 1) - Tough victory at Soldier Field earns Texans the No. 1 spot.

Cris Collinsworth (NBC Sports, 1)

Rich Gannon (CBS Sports/SiriusXM NFL Radio, 1) - Impressive road win shows that they can bang with anyone, anywhere, anytime!

Bob Glauber (Newsday, 1) - A statement game for the Texans, who slogged through the rain and muck at Soldier Field to outlast the Bears. Some well-earned fist pumping from Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, whose unit one-upped the host team's D.

Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News, 1) - Arian Foster has scored a touchdown in all nine of the Texans' games and is their MVP candidate in an 8-1 season. He has 12 touchdowns in all, 10 rushing and two receiving.

Clark Judge (CBSSports.com, 1) - The Texans' defense is good enough to get them to the Super Bowl. My question: Is Matt Schaub?

Ira Kaufman (Tampa Tribune, 1) - They can beat you in a Texas shootout or a muddy defensive struggle. Choose your weapons.

Pat Kirwan (SiriusXM NFL Radio/CBSSports.com, 1) - The Texans deserve the top spot. They went on the road to Chicago this past week and won in very tough weather conditions. Their defense overshadowed the Bear defense.

John Lynch (Fox Sports, 1) - Impressive win for the Texans in an old school, bad weather, tough, brawl vs. the Bears in Chicago. They have earned and belong in the top spot.

Alex Marvez (Foxsports.com, 1) - I perceived Chicago as the more physical team entering last Sunday night's game. Houston's 13-6 road victory proved me wrong.

Dan Pompei (Chicago Tribune, 1) - They proved they are no fluke by winning against a tough Bears team in bad conditions Sunday.

RESPECT PLUS!

Well Doc, we kinda knew that was coming. My question is why do so many Texans fans worry about such things? I couldn't care less about what people think about the Texans... Just keep winning (although I know the Texans will lose one, two maybe even three that they shouldn't). Thats gonna happen!

At the end of the day, I (as I'm sure you) don't give a damn about the rats ass !!
GO TEXANS!!!!

*EDIT*
I'm posting this while re-watching the Texans v. Bears game on my DVR.

RESPECT PLUS!

national respect maybe but still most of the CBS affiliates including KEYE42 in Austin will not be carrying the game.
as well as

The Rio Grande Valley's KGBT-TV is joining 15 other CBS affiliates in Texas who are showing the Cowboys game.

Well Doc, we kinda knew that was coming. My question is why do so many Texans fans worry about such things? I couldn't care less about what people think about the Texans... Just keep winning (although I know the Texans will lose one, two maybe even three that they shouldn't). Thats gonna happen!

At the end of the day, I (as I'm sure you) don't give a damn about the rats ass !!
GO TEXANS!!!!

*EDIT*
I'm posting this while re-watching the Texans v. Bears game on my DVR.

I indeed don't give a

070a.jpg

national respect maybe but still most of the CBS affiliates including KEYE42 in Austin will not be carrying the game.
as well as

The Rio Grande Valley's KGBT-TV is joining 15 other CBS affiliates in Texas who are showing the Cowboys game.

Message directed to each CBS TV program manager.

hi-res-83713910_crop_exact.jpg

You start showing Texans games, and don't expect me to suck it anymore!

as well as

This has to do with one thing and one thing only - ratings. Like it or not, the Cowboys do have a larger, probably much larger, following in Texas outside of the Houston area than the Texans do. Things may change in the future (the Cowboys local ratings in the DFW area are down something like 15% compared to last year), but for now they still kill the Texans in neutral areas. I saw a number where in San Antonio the week when BAL @ HOU went head to head with DAL @ CAR, the crappy Cowboys game beat the high profile Texans game in ratings something like 5 to 1. That was San Antonio, not Austin, but it gives you an idea.

And again, the ratings is THE ONLY thing that is taken into consideration when making these decisions. They don't care if there's going to be a vote on their web site, or if there will be a protest at their tv station. They only care about the ratings.

Clark Judge (CBSSports.com, 1) — The Texans' defense is good enough to get them to the Super Bowl. My question: Is Matt Schaub?

... add Gary Kubiak to that and I am right with this guy. I am not saying they aren't good enough but I have a big ? with those 2.

If this team can have the bye, 2 home games in the playoffs and no more critical injuries I feel pretty confident they will be able to get there even with their shortcomings. A lof of that has to with the AFC competition. Only 2 AFC teams concern me, the Broncos and Patriots. If they end up facing one or both of those teams I like their chances MUCH better at home. <-- Yes I am being Captain Obvious here.

I was listening to GAC yesterday on ESPN Radio and Galloway was spewing his usual mess. And he said that Johnny Football is the Savior of Football in Texas (with the Cowboys sucking so bad.) When someone brought up the Texans, he said basically no one anywhere cares about the Texans.

I changed the channel at that point.

I was listening to GAC yesterday on ESPN Radio and Galloway was spewing his usual mess. And he said that Johnny Football is the Savior of Football in Texas (with the Cowboys sucking so bad.) When someone brought up the Texans, he said basically no one anywhere cares about the Texans.

Most of the CBS affliates in Texas apparently agree with him.

How do you think Giants fans feel on the brink of a dynasty and all the media can talk about is the Jets.

Yeah, no kidding! I was in NYC for a week, about a month ago, and everywhere in Manhattan people were walking around with Jets gear on. No Giants. The Lids store at Times Square was full of nothing but green and white.

It wasn't until I went to Brooklyn and Queens did I happen to see a few people sporting Giants gear. It was crazy!

Yeah, no kidding! I was in NYC for a week, about a month ago, and everywhere in Manhattan people were walking around with Jets gear on. No Giants. The Lids store at Times Square was full of nothing but green and white.

It wasn't until I went to Brooklyn and Queens did I happen to see a few people sporting Giants gear. It was crazy!

There are a lot more Giants fans outside of the city (burbs) and update also. I lived in Albany and there were more Giants and Bills fans than Jets. Of course New Jersey is almost all Giants fans.

Giants fans in NYC are also more toned down. They are typically the older, more upper class and white collar fans. The Jets fans are the more vocal working class, construction worker types that are more the type to be walking around town wearing NFL gear.

The experience at their games is totally different also. Giants fans have a lot more class and don't mess with opposing fans as much as the Jets. At a Jets game I once saw an opposing fan go into a porta potty on a FREEZING day and a mob of Jets fans tipped it over while he was in it. I never saw that kind of crap at Giants games. Jets fans try hard to be Eagle fan at times. Though having been there as an Oilers fan a couple of times I never had an issue. New Yorkers have always been cool with Houstonians. They just hate Dallas.

in any sport houston fans seem to care about dis face it guys our city in not on the east coast we will never get coverage and will always be under the radar and dats cool with me has long has we win

and if if franchsie money worth and amount of worldwide fans is what yall want then has long has we win the rest will follow

does being number one in the ratings mean we don't have to play in the super bowl to get the trophy? 'Cause if not, I don't give a ****. All I want is the damn trophy. :texflag:

That's just Galloway. I'm sure the other cohosts on the show defended the Texans. Their morning show picked the Texans as the team Cowboys fans should follow because of Jerry Jones.

That's just Galloway. I'm sure the other cohosts on the show defended the Texans. Their morning show picked the Texans as the team Cowboys fans should follow because of Jerry Jones.

I'm very rarely in my car and I very rarely turn the channel to ESPN. So I don't get to hear everyone else's thoughts on it.

My sister lives in New Jersey these days and said everyone there is a Giants fan, fwiw.

I still read Galloway and see some of his online bits on the Star-Telegram site. I like him and his attitude. I'm sure he just meant that the Texans aren't a team people really debate. Because that is the reality of it. Whether you are the Cowboys, Tim Tebow, etc it all comes down to debate on the topics and the Texans are vanilla when it comes to debate.

The New York Times also has a piece about the Texans shooting to be the number one defense.

That's big, considering there's no real news for the Texans vs Jags game.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/11/14/sports/football/ap-fbn-texans-top-defense.html?ref=football

Houston Aims to Be NFL's Top Defense

HOUSTON (AP) - Just before the season, Houston defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was asked what he wanted from his defense in 2012 after the unit made a remarkable turnaround to finish second in the NFL in yards allowed last season.

Phillips didn't say a word. He simply raised one index finger.

The Texans haven't reached that mark yet, and they remain No. 2. That, they say, gives them something to work toward.

"We're working extremely hard to make that happen," defensive end J.J. Watt said. "We attack every day with that intensity and that mentality."

Read more from the link above.

Back