DL Coach

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RipTraxx, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Any interviews, candidates, ideas? This is the missing piece of the puzzle and coaches are becoming less available..........

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'll garuntee it's somebody that's not very well known and probably coached on a Bronco squad at some point in his career already.

3. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Took the words right out of my foul old mouth!!:)

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

How about Rod Marinellohnevermind...

5. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Here's a few names to look out for:

Larry Coyer -- former Broncos DC from 2003-2006, Buccaneers DL coach 2007-2008
    Greg Robinson -- Jets DL coach 1990-1993, Jets DC 1994, Broncos DC 1995-2000, Chiefs DC 2001-2003, University of Texas DC 2004, Syracuse HC 2005-2008
    Larry Brooks -- Packers DL coach 1994-1998, Seahawks DL coach 1999-2002, Bears DL coach 2003, Lions DL coach 2004-05, Cardinals DL coach 2006

Just a hunch, but I'd think Coyer would be the heavy favorite, unless we're holding out to interview the Cardinals DL coach (who was brought in after Bush was let go).

6. Rozelle

Rozelle Rookie

I just don't think we're gonna see Coyer and Gibbs together. There were rumors Coyer had Gibbs fired in Denver, below is from PFT November, 2004

MORE ON GIBBS AND COYER

As a follow-up to Thursday's report regarding the real reason for the abrupt termination of Denver defensive backs coach David Gibbs, we're hearing that defensive coordinator Larry Coyer was feeling specifically threatened by the fact that players on the Broncos defense were going to Gibbs, not Coyer, when they had questions about the scheme.

Gibbs, we're told, was perplexed by the fact that Coyer got his nose out of joint because of this dynamic. Coaches are there to answer player questions. If players think one coach is more approachable and/or helpful than another guy, so be it.

As we said on Thursday, we have a feeling that there's even more to the story. Shanahan, in the end, had to think that he was doing the right thing by firing Gibbs, and we doubt that Shanny didn't merely accept Coyer at his word.

Still, even if Gibbs had said or done something that justified the firing, it looks like Coyer instigated the move.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. da Bull

da Bull Rookie

Wasn't there a feud between Coyer and Gibbs (Jr.) in Denver leading to Gibbs firing? If I recall, that lead to Shannahan (Sr.) and Gibbs (Sr.) getting cross-threaded. Maybe it wasn't Coyer......but, a pair of Gibbs beats 1 Coyer if it was.

8. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

Anyone know what Larry Brooks is doing these days?:thinking:

9. Rozelle

Rozelle Rookie

I don't know, I beleive he is unemplyed. It was a strange ordeal with him last January when it was reported Washington had hired him as their DL coach, then a couple weeks later John Palermo was introduced as the DL coach. :confused:

10. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

11. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

From Bills Website:

He has worked with some good talent and developed some very good D-Lines, I didn't see one mention of Broncos anywhere...weird.

Some people might not be enthused about the hires, but I am really starting to like the staff we have in place for next year.

:fans:

12. johndoe

johndoe Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.