Dj to visit W/ the Texans

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by cptnbreakdance, Apr 1, 2005.

1. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

Its at the Houston Chronicle site under sports, it says he's a longshot in the draft, but we are giving him a tour of Reliant Stadium, The Bubble, and all of the other Texans stuff, though I'd let ya'll know :hmmm:

2. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Here's the LINK to that...

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Casserly was on the radio stating we likley trade the 13th pick so this makes this report today a bit more interesting.

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

When did he say that? I'd be all for getting DJ here if we didn't have to trade too much to move up...

This also may reinforce some of the members' desire to trade down...Very interesting development :hmmm: ...

5. Rosusu

Rosusu All Pro

That is really intriguing (what charley said) I didnt think he would talk about that openly, but I guess that makes offers easier to get. If we get DJ I will be estatic, he is the best prospect in this draft and he is going to be a playmaker for years and years.

6. Dionysus22

Dionysus22 Veteran

Quit Teasing!!!! I'm already setting myself up for heart break when his name is called and he doesn't put on a Texans draft day hat...speaking of...I wonder what they'll look like this year?(draft hats) The NFL always comes up with a pretty sweet design.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

this would reinforce my feelings of uncertainty of whom to select at the 13th spot :confused:

I would be in favor of trading up to the 8th spot (Arizona) for our top 3rd round pick aquired from Dallas for Drew Henson. this would not be high enough for DJ but possibly Cedric Benson. in this scenero Arizona should be able to still draft their QB/CB & the Texans finally get their franchise back.

to move to the 7th spot (Minnesota) would require both WR's (Braylon & Williams) to be gone and would cost the Texans their 1st & 2nd picks. I mean the Vikings might do it but probably not if DJ is there for the taking.

ah yes we've come to the Titans, last years big trading partner could we dance once again :shocked you already know how they are, this would cost the Texans 1st, 2nd & both 3rd's just to move up. once again they hold the key positon in the DJ sweepstakes plucking the player targeted just before the clutches of the team who desires him. I do not see any of the top 5 teams taking Derrick Johnson, he is a #6 or #7 guy in this draft-thats my opinion.

personally I like the trade to Arizona and Cedric Benson, thankyou very much :)

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

April 1st... get it. IF Casserly had said that onl the radio Vinny would've reported it before now. The newspaper story could be part of the april fools' joke as well.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Good point Murf, Vinnie is always goin on the rag and bustin balls when somebody posts a provocative remark without documentation. I notice
    he didn't even mention if Cass said he'd trade up or down, but one would assume a move up if it involved DJ. Ah what the heck, its more entertaining if its just left open ended. But yea, Happy April Fools Day !

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Casserly made the comments on the radio yesterday. He said something to the effect that the top 10 in this year's draft is up in the air and it is unlikely the Texans would pick at #13 this year as they will either move up or down on draft day depending on how things work out.

11. LoNghoRn-TeXaN

LoNghoRn-TeXaN Veteran

There's an article on this on Houstonprofootball.com

This isn't an April Fool's joke, right?

According to a report in Friday's Houston Chronicle, the Texans will be hosting draft prospect Derrick Johnson at Reliant Park this weekend. The University of Texas All-American, who received the Bronko Nagurski Trophy in December as the best defensive player in college football last season, is a top-rated prospect at linebacker.

GIven his lofty draft staus, Johnson likely won't be available when the Texans pick at #13 in the first round. General manager Charley Casserly told ESPN790-AM though that he does not expect the Texans to remain at #13, hinting at a possible trade scenario on the day of the draft.

Johnson will visit other teams before the draft later this month, but he had made his interest known regarding his desire to play for a team near his home. On a February airing of the local program Sports Off Center on KTBU-TV, the Waco native said, "I am a Texas kid, and hopefully I can stay in Texas."

Johnson Staying Close to Home?

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Thanks for the heads up ThirdEye, I tuned into 610 just in time to hear
    him say he wouldn't play in the NFL in 2005 if he wasn't drafted by the Texans.

13. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Regardless of the status of this thread as a possible April fool's joke, I believe that the only way that the Texans can get DJ is to trade up to #2 or #1. I don't believe all of the mocks that have the Browns passing him by at #3.
    I have speculated previously about the potential for SF to be willing to trade down.. they may posssibly be willing to, considering that they could trade down somewhat and still have a very good chance of landing either Rogers or Smith.
    Our # 13 pick may be too low for them, however. I still think that they may be willing to trade out of the top spot for cheaper than you might think...
    Also, Miami has no second round pick, and after the #2 spot doesn't pick again until 3rd round #70. Saben may want to add additional picks by moving down in the first.
    Having mentioned the possiblity of trading up with SF on a previous thread, I was suprised that I wasn't lambasted(<--- love that word...) for it... I know that this scenario is too expensive for most of you, and for the most part it is for me as well. I only mention it as being more realistic that it first appears.

14. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Adding to my previous post...
    Many will say that there is no way that miami moves down and passes on the opportunity to get the franchise RB that they so desperately need. I counter, however, by recalling last year when absolutely no on expected the cowgirls to trade down and pass on the chance to get Steven Jackson. It pains me to say so, but the move was an excellent one, netting them a very good back in Julius Jones... maybe the best from last years draft when every thing is said and done...

15. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

well what we're talking about is going after the player i think we all want in a texans uni the most...derrick johnson!!!!this guy is one of the few can't miss type players in this draft...his teammate cedric benson being another and mike williams is the only other one in my mind...everyone else can still turn out to be a bust...and yes that means ronnie brown and cadillac williams are potential busts...i don't see them being dissapointments but it is a possibility...with all that this is about getting your top player...casserly will make the decision on draft day whether or not we are going to trade up to get him or if the asking price is too high we'll probably trade down and grab david pollack...that's the impression i got from casserly's comments

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Thats Vinny with a Y. It's impossible to provide a link for word of mouth, nunusguy. I only enforce the © protected materials that could garner a lawsuit. Try not to be so offended about that. I either do it or they find someone that will. I'm just honest enough not to hide behind some pseudoname as the site Administrator.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I'm not the least bit offended, just havin a little fun with you there Vinny.

18. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

It would be great to have DJ as a Texan, but realistically what's your calculation on what it would cost us ? I mean, best case(for us) scenario he's
    still on the Board at #5 - wouldn't the cost to us for that pick be prohibitive ?

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Saban is being reported all over the internet as wanting to move out of the #2 spot but the flip-side is pundits are also all over reporting no one wants to move up that high because the signing bonuses at the top are huge. One pundit was even suggesting if the Dolphins can't trade down they should just pull a Vikings and let the time run out on their pick and then wait for several other picks to be made to avoid paying the #2 picks freight. It is looking like a year where is someone is willing to choke on the huge signing bonus there may be an opportunity to throw the draft pick value chart out the window and trade up for a bargain price pick-wise.

20. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Looking at the draft value chart, our first and second are equal value with the #6 pick.