Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DIsgusted but realistic mock...

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think. I see things abit differently than some other posters. Matt Schaub whose contract ends after the 2012 season has made some really bad plays with what appears to be some mental blocks like last play against Raiders. Kubiak will live & die with him ending his contract same year. Both should leave Texans together. I am tired of defending both. I suggest using both to allow a new QB to marinate as he learns. Leinert is not the future and I have no idea what Yates is but hopefully a future back up.

There will be no starter at the number we will pick at (I am raising my projection from 25 to #20 for now). Yes, there will be corners that should eventually start but we need a #2 CB game 1 (actually is needed game 6 this season), but neither will happen. So here we go

1. QB Robert Griffin cubed: Baylor 6' 2" 220 4.48 is lighting up the NCAA & will keep climbing & is compared to Cam Newton. Newton is much better runner but I am ok with that. Griffin is thinking of running Olympics in 2012. He has controlled his weight between 190 (track weight) and 234 playing weight with little problem. I hav ehim rated in second round but gone way before Texans select. Schaub's replacement in 2013.

2. WR Kendall Wright: Baylor 5'10" 190 lbs 4.43 (4.32) like his QB he was good before this year. Still a virtual unknown to many he might end up a first round. He does it all and can stretched the field. Many like Fuller are Walter-esqe and not what Texans need. Legit WR2 that will start game 1 & replcae AJ when he retires.

3. NT. Dontari Poe: Memphis 6'5" 330 5.26 best player on his team,period. Squats 700+ lbs, power cleans 400 & benches 500. SHould be strongest DT in draft. Game 1 starter. Cures the run thru middle and allows other 6 to disrupt QB. His job is to take up 2-3 blockers every play not sacks.

4. I've fluctuated over this pick as much as the #1. Love to get a CB or ILB but just think OG is best.
OG Brandon Washington Miami 6'4" 320 5.21 plays with mean streak and exhibits a punch when run blocking & is a good passing blocker. Biggest bang for the pick.

5. C/RT Phillip Blake Baylor 6'2" 320 5.26 I know a Baylor draft, who woulda thunk it? What better way to go in 2013 with your QB throwing to his college WR after taking the snap from his college center? Talk about continuity.

6. CB/FS Tashaun Gipson Wyoming 6' 195 4.49 & should be a steal here. May be gone but best I could project at this point of season. My guy for 2 years, Winston Guy has finally come to attention of others and is moving up charts.

7. ILB Adrien Cole Louisiana Tech up and down last 2 years but 80 to 90 tackles. Powers towards the line every play. Hard to call players this round but...

I want a corner higher but even a first will not be on field ala Brandon Harris who should start getting plays soon and then we have Roc Carmichael coming back off injury. I will not be surprised if Kubes selects a CB in 4th but will have no impact on 2013. LT back up will be covered by Butler whenhe returns.

BB, I'm disappointed in you. You had such a good start and concept with your last mock that made sense from a value standpoint. This seems to be a knee jerk reaction to a bad game. All teams/QB's play bad games occasionally but you don't implode the team and start over because of it. Schaub sucked last Sunday but he's still a good QB, not great.

1&2, I can't get behind either of these picks. Griffin seems to be a knee jerk reaction to a bad game by Schaub and Wright might be a good WR but I prefer a bigger target. Criner and Jones are both 6'04', athletic, fast, and should be available in the 2nd round.

3. Poe, I'm glad you listed the strength info. about him, I didn't know that, and it gives me much more confidence in this pick. I like it.

4. Washington, it will take luck to get him in the 4th. I think he goes possibly late 2nd round.

5. Blake, once again I've read that he's a project player but I have no problem with a project in the 5th round as long as he starts within 2 yrs. Also if he's a C then he can play OG as well.

6. Gipson, I don't know anything about him but a late round CB isn't going to provide anything that KJ, Harris, Carmichael, McCain, and McManis don't have.

7. Cole, I don't know anything about the player chosen but have no problem with the position chosen, we need depth at ILB.

Too many Bears for me..... Like Griffith but would never happen, unless like you said both Kubiak & Smith are fired. Also not crazy about Wright (Wolf) think if your projecting Texans @ 20 now Michael Floyd can enter discussion? I like rmartin idea of Ingram too instead of Poe. more of a disruptive force opposed to wide body. Like Brandon Washington but feel he is a high 3rd possibly late 2nd. In fact I wonder why we even try at all anymore? It doesn't seem to help, we seem stuck mired in pooh, one stupid play after another & bingo bango bongo a meltdown :cutthroat:

BB, I'm disappointed in you. You had such a good start and concept with your last mock that made sense from a value standpoint. This seems to be a knee jerk reaction to a bad game. All teams/QB's play bad games occasionally but you don't implode the team and start over because of it. Schaub sucked last Sunday but he's still a good QB, not great.

1&2, I can't get behind either of these picks. Griffin seems to be a knee jerk reaction to a bad game by Schaub and Wright might be a good WR but I prefer a bigger target. Criner and Jones are both 6'04', athletic, fast, and should be available in the 2nd round.

3. Poe, I'm glad you listed the strength info. about him, I didn't know that, and it gives me much more confidence in this pick. I like it.

4. Washington, it will take luck to get him in the 4th. I think he goes possibly late 2nd round.

5. Blake, once again I've read that he's a project player but I have no problem with a project in the 5th round as long as he starts within 2 yrs. Also if he's a C then he can play OG as well.

6. Gipson, I don't know anything about him but a late round CB isn't going to provide anything that KJ, Harris, Carmichael, McCain, and McManis don't have.

7. Cole, I don't know anything about the player chosen but have no problem with the position chosen, we need depth at ILB.

Appreciate your comments even if I disappoint. Not sure why you don't want a QB to train behind Schaub. Matt has leveled off with good yardage but last two seasons his accuracy is slipping. Keep in mind 2012 is last contract year. Winner or not his stats will call for a huge deal & I'm not ready for that.
His passes are flatter not arcing unless throwing deep to AJ.

Implode the team? In what way? Having a first round QB should motivate Schaub &offer insurance during negoiations even if he stays. We have never got a solid QB back up through draft. As I said, I do not see a starter available #20 to help us. I'll respond to Beerlover about Floyd.

CB Gipson is considered a sleeper and if selected shoul move one of those you mentioned off roster. McCain & McMannis as lower round picks need to step up or go away. Give someone else a shot.

Too many Bears for me..... Like Griffith but would never happen, unless like you said both Kubiak & Smith are fired. Also not crazy about Wright (Wolf) think if your projecting Texans @ 20 now Michael Floyd can enter discussion? I like rmartin idea of Ingram too instead of Poe. more of a disruptive force opposed to wide body. Like Brandon Washington but feel he is a high 3rd possibly late 2nd. In fact I wonder why we even try at all anymore? It doesn't seem to help, we seem stuck mired in pooh, one stupid play after another & bingo bango bongo a meltdown :cutthroat:
I don't think Floyd will be there. Some mocks have him as high as 8. Even if there, he will not be drafted by Texans. He has not had just once incident with booze.

Regardless what you think about Schaub, the team needs to have a real option at QB waiting in the wings. You never know when your QB is going to go down and hold his head for real. You never know how contract issues are going to work out. The Pats are the example people hate to use, because there was a good bit of luck involved there. But there was a good bit of coaching as well. When Bledsoe went down, Brady emerged. When Brady went down, Cassell emerged. Hell, the St. Louis Rams had Kurt Warner step up. When Kurt Warner went down, they put Marc Bulger in there, who did a pretty good job. If you're really a good talent evaluator at QB, go get yourself a Steve Young to sit behind your Joe Montana. Hell, the packers took Aaron Rodgers when they had one of the best QBs of all time playing for them. Does Kubiak think we have one of the best QBs of all time and therefore can't draft a QB?

Take one in the 3rd or 4th round and develop him while Schaub mans the position. If he doesn't work out, how is that worse than any of the other 3rd or 4th round picks they've made?

I'm typically against taking a QB in the first round unless you're expecting him to contribute pretty soon. I want my first pick to be a guy who will be on the field helping the team.

But with the new rookie wage scale, the risk on first round QBs isn't as great as it used to be. So I think I could actually be convinced to get behind that one.

Regardless what you think about Schaub, the team needs to have a real option at QB waiting in the wings. You never know when your QB is going to go down and hold his head for real. You never know how contract issues are going to work out. The Pats are the example people hate to use, because there was a good bit of luck involved there. But there was a good bit of coaching as well. When Bledsoe went down, Brady emerged. When Brady went down, Cassell emerged. Hell, the St. Louis Rams had Kurt Warner step up. When Kurt Warner went down, they put Marc Bulger in there, who did a pretty good job. If you're really a good talent evaluator at QB, go get yourself a Steve Young to sit behind your Joe Montana. Hell, the packers took Aaron Rodgers when they had one of the best QBs of all time playing for them. Does Kubiak think we have one of the best QBs of all time and therefore can't draft a QB?

Take one in the 3rd or 4th round and develop him while Schaub mans the position. If he doesn't work out, how is that worse than any of the other 3rd or 4th round picks they've made?
Agree with everything you say except drafting QB later rounds. I want someone who can replace Schaub even if he is a backup for a bit. If Texans were a strong team, Matt could be long term option because we could win even if he throw an INT or makes goofy play as I referred to in thread, but not a strong team. As fans we need to be aware of what Matt does correct (stats) but be aware also of what he just does not do.

1. QB Robert Griffin cubed: Baylor 6' 2" 220 4.48 is lighting up the NCAA & will keep climbing & is compared to Cam Newton. Newton is much better runner but I am ok with that. Griffin is thinking of running Olympics in 2012. He has controlled his weight between 190 (track weight) and 234 playing weight with little problem. I hav ehim rated in second round but gone way before Texans select. Schaub's replacement in 2013.

2. WR Kendall Wright: Baylor 5'10" 190 lbs 4.43 (4.32) like his QB he was good before this year. Still a virtual unknown to many he might end up a first round. He does it all and can stretched the field. Many like Fuller are Walter-esqe and not what Texans need. Legit WR2 that will start game 1 & replcae AJ when he retires.

3. NT. Dontari Poe: Memphis 6'5" 330 5.26 best player on his team,period. Squats 700+ lbs, power cleans 400 & benches 500. SHould be strongest DT in draft. Game 1 starter. Cures the run thru middle and allows other 6 to disrupt QB. His job is to take up 2-3 blockers every play not sacks.

4. I've fluctuated over this pick as much as the #1. Love to get a CB or ILB but just think OG is best.
OG Brandon Washington Miami 6'4" 320 5.21 plays with mean streak and exhibits a punch when run blocking & is a good passing blocker. Biggest bang for the pick.

5. C/RT Phillip Blake Baylor 6'2" 320 5.26 I know a Baylor draft, who woulda thunk it? What better way to go in 2013 with your QB throwing to his college WR after taking the snap from his college center? Talk about continuity.

6. CB/FS Tashaun Gipson Wyoming 6' 195 4.49 & should be a steal here. May be gone but best I could project at this point of season. My guy for 2 years, Winston Guy has finally come to attention of others and is moving up charts.

7. ILB Adrien Cole Louisiana Tech up and down last 2 years but 80 to 90 tackles. Powers towards the line every play. Hard to call players this round but...

I want a corner higher but even a first will not be on field ala Brandon Harris who should start getting plays soon and then we have Roc Carmichael coming back off injury. I will not be surprised if Kubes selects a CB in 4th but will have no impact on 2013. LT back up will be covered by Butler whenhe returns.

1. I'm a little bit hesitant about using a first on Griffin, for the reasons I listed in my earlier post. If we do go QB, I would really hope that there is a guy we really like in the 2nd-3rd round range. I would prefer that if possible.

2. I'm a fan of Wright, and wouldn't throw a fit if we took him here. But there are other guys I think I would rather have.

3. I'll discuss this one separately. I think you already know where I'm going with it.

4. No problem at all with Washington here.

5. I'm not terribly high on Blake. He's alright, but I wouldn't call him an upgrade over anything we currently have.

6. I don't think Gipson is really NFL material, but he's worth a shot in the sixth round.

7. Good pick

I'm typically against taking a QB in the first round unless you're expecting him to contribute pretty soon. I want my first pick to be a guy who will be on the field helping the team.

But with the new rookie wage scale, the risk on first round QBs isn't as great as it used to be. So I think I could actually be convinced to get behind that one.
percent agree. I want to draft a Qb that can start if necessary 2 seasons from now. We have Matt until then and all should know I'm not a hater and have defending him as well as Kubiak. It is hard to ignore the way Matt has played recently. Can he do better? We will see no matter what the drafts look like.

I'm not gonna dog this pick. Because for what you think the NT position should be in our defense, it is a great pick.

We just differ on philosophy. Poe would be a great situational player to have. But that is all he would be, a situational player.

On passing downs he will not be able to tie up blockers because he will not be in the game.

We don't need to go back and forth on this issue again. We both know where the other stands. Just giving you my take.

Still a good mock, badboy.

I'm not gonna dog this pick. Because for what you think the NT position should be in our defense, it is a great pick.

We just differ on philosophy. Poe would be a great situational player to have. But that is all he would be, a situational player.

On passing downs he will not be able to tie up blockers because he will not be in the game.

We don't need to go back and forth on this issue again. We both know where the other stands. Just giving you my take.

Still a good mock, badboy.
Thanks, yep different philosophies. Unfortunately, we have had little success with lighter DTs. I'm ready for different approach. A 6'5" Nose shoving blockers away & puttiing hands in the air can disrupt the passing lanes.

Thanks, yep different philosophies. Unfortunately, we have had little success with lighter DTs. I'm ready for different approach. A 6'5" Nose shoving blockers away & puttiing hands in the air can disrupt the passing lanes.

I would still look for Wade to find another Ratliff type of NT. We should seriously consider rmartin65 recommendation of Melvin Ingram. Elite athlete for position & in Wades system he could play NT, DE & OLB. That covers a lot of holes which we see during the course of a 16 game season, ability not only to stack & shed is important its ability to cover & fill. late first early 2nd.

Check out Ryan Tannehill for QB. He's probably going to be a 3rd/4th round pick, but he plays a lot like Schaub, only big difference is that his legs work. If Kubiak is still with this team come draft time next year, I really won't be surprised if they pick him.

That has less to do with the size of the DTs and more to do with their lack of ability.

Check out Ryan Tannehill for QB. He's probably going to be a 3rd/4th round pick, but he plays a lot like Schaub, only big difference is that his legs work. If Kubiak is still with this team come draft time next year, I really won't be surprised if they pick him.

Eh I'm not big on Tannehill. Mainly because to me, he is a less talented, more athletic Schaub.

At his absolute best, he is still only a good game manager. Which isn't awful, but how many Trent Dilfer's have won Super Bowl's? Especially in this new era of unchallenged offense?

I want a guy who can make something out of nothing (and I don't mean as a runner, I mean as a passer). Tannehill isn't that guy. He is talented in his own right, but he is a distributor, not a playmaker.

I would still look for Wade to find another Ratliff type of NT. We should seriously consider rmartin65 recommendation of Melvin Ingram. Elite athlete for position & in Wades system he could play NT, DE & OLB. That covers a lot of holes which we see during the course of a 16 game season, ability not only to stack & shed is important its ability to cover & fill. late first early 2nd.
Sorry not buying it and no disrepect towards 65. As another poster said, Ratliff is the exception not the rule. Too much at stake to try an experiment. I could see Ingram as OLB if needed to replace Mario but not NT.

Eh I'm not big on Tannehill. Mainly because to me, he is a less talented, more athletic Schaub.

At his absolute best, he is still only a good game manager. Which isn't awful, but how many Trent Dilfer's have won Super Bowl's? Especially in this new era of unchallenged offense?

I want a guy who can make something out of nothing (and I don't mean as a runner, I mean as a passer). Tannehill isn't that guy. He is talented in his own right, but he is a distributor, not a playmaker.
I evaluate T. the same. Griffin cubed has shown he can pass and run.

Regardless what you think about Schaub, the team needs to have a real option at QB waiting in the wings. You never know when your QB is going to go down and hold his head for real.

What's up with TJ Yates?

If Kubiak is going to stay, we know Lienart isn't the answer.... if Yates becomes the #2, don't you think he could possibly be Schaub's replacement?

Have we seen enough of Yates to know he is not the answer?

What's up with TJ Yates?

If Kubiak is going to stay, we know Lienart isn't the answer.... if Yates becomes the #2, don't you think he could possibly be Schaub's replacement?

Personally, I like Yates' potential, and I hope Kubiak is developing him for the purpose I stated. If he can't be that guy, then draft one a little higher that can. This is the first time we've kept 3 QBs for the season, though, so I'm hopeful Yates is that guy.

But we haven't seen enough of him.

What's up with TJ Yates?

Good question and we do need more time to see if Yates can play NFL. I just don't se him as starter. More of instinct I guess. I want to see someone who lit up college ball. Why I think a later round will not be the answer. I know there are many examples of later guys being successful but I am not interested in "lightning in a bottle." Same with corners. We might have a servicable back up in Yates but I want to see someone I think can replace Matt.

Back