Diles named "Will" starter

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by barrett, Sep 2, 2009.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

2. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

was a intense battle between him and adibi i do like diles alot so hopefully he can start the season were he left off lat season before his injury

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

After Monday night, and Kubiaks comments, I am not surprised.

4. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Adibi has more potential, but Diles is more reliable. With our shaky secondary, we cannot afford poor gap integrity, and that is a big weakness in Adibi's game right now. I imagine he'll be worked into our longer yardage packages, but we can't afford to give up 75 and 45 yard runs every game.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Come on 7th rounder make me proud. I've been rooting for him. Now if we can just get Foster on the field a bit Friday.

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Didn't they get Diles in the 6th or 7th round ?
    This guy has turned into one of the best "Value" picks ever for the Texans.
    And also very versatile and resilient. I mean he loses his starting job at SAM last year because he breaks a leg, then it was handed to the teams top pick this year, but ZD says not a proble, I'll "take" the starting job at WIL.
    I say kudos to young Mr. Diles for his never say quit attitude.

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I agree. A bunch of question marks are better then anything we can roll out at SS. What a joke that position is and anyone who says we no longer have any glaring holes isn't paying much attention. Yes that means you Richard Justice.

I have been sorely disapointed with Adibi. I really thought he would improve and nail that job down but he has looked lost, isn't making any tackles, is out of position, and just overall looks like a guy that is closer to being cut then being named a starter. Diles isn't great, but is competent and can hold down that fort until Adibi either gets his act together or we make a move in the offseason.

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Not surprised. I never saw what people saw in him.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I actually think Diles is a quality starting LB. I was discussing with Barrett how deep our LB corp is, because Bentley is a hell of a player too. I fully expect him to see significant time at SLB until Cushing really gets going. Frankly, I'd love to see Bently in the starting lineup and Cushing on the bench, not because I'm not high on Cushing but because Bentley is so darn solid!

I've gone giddy! Here we come 12-4!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm very high on Adibi. I think he can be an excellent player. He's just a little undisciplined and raw. He can turn himself into quite the playermaker, IMO. However, the team clearly made a good decision. Zac Diles is clearly the better player right now.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Diles is like Ryans in that he just wants on the field.

13. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Anybody know what Will Demps is doing? :thinking:

He may have been a bit "odd" but he's better than ??????.

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Boy, the Texans' safety history is comically bad. When your fondest memories at safety are of: Eric Davis and Marlon McCree, you know it's been pretty ugly. I'm actually fine with Eugene Wilson at FS, despite his poor game Monday. However, our SS situation is really ugly! I'm looking forward to seeing Busing play a lot on Friday. And, I'm hoping to see the team make a little trade or grab someone after cutdowns. I actually expect it to happen.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

The NFL, AFL, CFL and the FA market are littered with players with physical tools but lack the mental tools and instincts. Adibi lacks instincts. Hopefully he can learn, but I am not feeling it.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Trying to figure out what Ferguson did to be slotted behind Barber other than being born sooner. I certainly haven't seen him play worse than Barber.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Me too. I think we might pick up 3-4 guys. Not saying all will stick but I expect some new faces.

18. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

This is a good move, our run defense is going to benefit from this. I was as excited about Adibi as anyone coming into this season but you can't play as poorly as he has so far and still get a job. Diles doesn't have the prototype athleticism for the weakside but he is going to be rock solid against the run and I trust him to be disciplined and know his assignment on every play. Potentially 3 good run stopping LBs when Cushing gets back. I also won't be surprised to see Adibi get a little playing time in obvious passing situations, especially early with Cushing still shaking off the rust.

19. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Rightfully so. If this was based on who played better last year I think Adibi probably ends up with the spot but this decision was clearly made yesterday because Diles has outplayed Adibi during these 3 preseason games. I think Diles' frame suits WILL over SAM anyway. I'd say I'm disappointed with Adibi but Diles has always shown himself to be a player.

Ah, what the hell, I AM disappointed with Adibi. He played well last year, got some lbs. in the offseason and still looks fast/agile. He had a nice tip that almost caused an interception on Monday but I can't think of anything else. He's not a wrap up tackler like Diles but I doubt Diles can bring the coverage because of his speed which is a clear step under Adibi's.

Adibi for SS. Molden for FS. Madden for real life.

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Perhaps, but I think the rotation with Cushing will generally involve Bentley. Bentley has more bulk and is a better fit at SLB, particularly running a 4-3 Under. Plus, Bentley's consistently high performance on ST and whenever he's called on has earned him some playing time.