Die Hard Red Skins Fan Makes Slaton Cheap Trade Bait

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Mar 14, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Entertaining if nothing else. Does he actually make a case for trading...........or keeping Slaton?

link

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Not worth it.

For that price, id rather keep him on the roster as training camp fodder and to give him the opportunity to recapture what he had a couple seasons back.

There is also the possibility of him being useful on special teams.

3. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Like running out of bounds at the 1? :vincepalm:

4. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I need a better offer.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Take what you can get and run!

I think he's very close to a release, so whatever we can get through trade would be appreciated.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

For that return I'd rather keep him myself .... but definately NOT for anything he might contribute on ST. Slaton last season , had to be the worst KR I have ever seen in 40 years of watching football.

Falling out of bounds was just the most obvious mistake , he also put the ball on the ground many times in attempts to catch / secure it which cost the Texans field position time and again.

Forget Slaton on ST. I dont even want to see him as a gunner on punt coverage much less returning kicks or punts again .... unless its in another uniform so the Texans can take advantage of his misque's.

7. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Dude left this out of his reasons for concern...

[​IMG]

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Meh, I'd rather keep him around if for no other reason than a warm body, rather than taking a 5th rounder for him.

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

He'll yeh do it! Getting a 5th rounder for a guy that will likely get cut anyway? No brainer.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

He better hope the CBA gets signed in the next 6 weeks or else that trade is impossible. His neck injury is the #1 cause for concern and why I believe we saw a dramatic decrease in his production.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Thing is, Slaton was actually really productive whenever we used him. He ran for over 4.9 yards per carry, and was consistent every time he went out there.

He received over 3 carries in only 4 games, and his ypc in those games were 4.8, 4.7, 4.7, and 7.4. And no fumbles

I think the lower production was due to logjam at RB. With Foster and Ward tearing it up, there wasn't room for Slaton. People were already complaining that Foster wasn't getting enough carries. Every touch Slaton got would come from someone else

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Barrett and I took a lot of heat when we wrote this story... but, I think it is clear this is what did him in. If you re-watch the Arizona preseason game, before the hit in dispute, he was running well. I haven't seen him run well since. I think this is another example of the Texans doing a very poor job managing injured players:

Slaton Re-Injures His neck in Preseason 2010

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

He had 19 carries last season. He put up close to 100 yards. How is that running poorly?

Slaton was just odd man out. When your #1 guy is gaining 5 ypc and your #2 guy is picking up chunks at over 6, you dont have room for a 3rd string guy getting 4.9

14. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Since we have the "FTW" combo - I can see Slaton for a 5th, but not to throw in a 6th also. They can throw in a 6th if they want him so bad (yeah, that won't happen - but there ya go)

15. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I wanted Slaton to succeed as he did when he was a rookie, but now with Arian Foster as our primary running back and Ben Tate as a backup, I think we should trade Slaton away and get something rather than nothing. Its also unlikely that we can get a better offer considering Slaton's production has gone south dramatically.

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I would trade him and get something in return for him and there will always be cuts, draft, and UDFA as well.

17. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

That may be the most abusive use of statistical analysis that I have ever seen. Did you watch the guy play last season? He was awful. Check out some footage of him running the ball in 2008 or early in 2009, then watch him with the ball in 2010, either returning kicks, catching the ball out of the backfield, or running it. He's not the same guy. Worry less about the results of his kick returning as much as how timid and weak he ran the ball.

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

There is always Ron Dayne and A. Green.

19. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Hey that was an impressive return, the oppossing team never laid a finger on him!!!! What more can you ask for on a return, oh you mean when he took it to our 1 yard line. Uh never mind.......

20. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

What to you have against Duane Brown???????