Did the Texans over pay for Schaub ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by mikey21, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mikey21

mikey21 Lifer

as many people now know about the pending deal that is going to bring Schaub to the Texans, the question I have is was he over paid for. reports are saying the Texans are swapping the 8th pick for the 10th and giving Atlanta this years 2nd round pick and next years 2nd round pick

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6594578
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2807051

lets also look at the body of work Mr. Shaub has had thus far in the NFL, in 38 games he has started 2 losing both games, he has att 161 passes with 84 comp for a pct of 52.2 and for 1033 yds 6 tds and 6 ints giving schaub at rating of 69.2

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493050

if the reports do end up being true, I have the bad feeling that the Texans over paid for Schaub, i understand the possible swapping of first round picks and even maybe one 2nd round pick, but the extra 2nd round pick to me shows the Texans were desperate, now i have no idea what other deals may be in the works either for Carr or trading down even further in the draft, but right now this kind of deal smells and looks kinda like a casserly type deal, but what do i know i am just another Texans fan

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Shouldn't we wait until we know what the Texans paid (NFL Network is saying a 2+ something else, ESPN's ticker said 1 2nd but the talking head said 2 2nds, etc)?

3. Daonly

Daonly Veteran

#10, Peterson, Landry, Nelson, or Hall.

2nd round pick, Matt Schaub

3-7 anyone's guest.

David Carr? traded to Raiders for 1st pick in the 3rd or for Moss or a 3 way swap to the Raiders where we get Green bays 2nd round pick. :poker:

4. afcman

afcman Veteran

As of now.....NO!

I really have not been this excited since the first 2 seasons.

Now who will be our backup?

:yahoo:

5. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

laron landry = next bob sanders. ill take lands

all ive heard was that we swapped 1st rounders...gave up a second this yr, AND next yr's second rounder. yeah that may be a little too much so we will haveta see how schaub does. at this point though, schaub is going to be the starter. for what ive heard about what the texans are giving up, i just dont see schaub playing behind sage, NOR CARR for that matter. its pretty inevitable what is going to happen. i can honestly see carr in a raider uniform.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Rookie

YES THEY OVERPAID

you give this much up in trades for a QB who has a track record record, not some dude who is pure hype as of now. It might pay off... the dude might be great, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have given up as much as they are supposed to at this time. The Falcons are going to have a #8 pick, and two second rounders... two more second rounder picks next year... now THAT is a deal... i would much rather be in their shoes.

7. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

We're giving them WHAT?!!?!?!?!?

8. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

That is what I have heard as well. If we only gave up a 2nd rounder when it was said that someone would have to give up a 1st and 3rd for him, then I say we did not overpay.

9. fingers5

fingers5 Rookie

If it did cost them that 2008 second, then we definitely overpaid. This team has shown nothing but contempt for the talent that is available in the upper rounds and continues to throw draft picks around like PacMan does singles. When are they going to learn that good things do come to those that draft intelligently.

My only prayer is that someone within the Texans organization finds someone as stupid as they are when it comes to trading D.C.

10. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

Yea they did if they gave up two second round choices. Schaub's an unproven player, and you're going to give up two first day draft picks for him? This could blow up in our face worse than the PBuch fiasco. I was hoping the days of these kinds of deals left with Casserly.

11. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I just checked, and it appears that they did give up 2nds in this and next years drafts. That is 2 Demeco's right there.
    I really think that we overpaid after getting burnt in the search for others.

12. TopTexanFan16

TopTexanFan16 Veteran

Amen!!!! thank you

13. Smokedawg

Smokedawg Veteran

Sad day for the Texans, we got ripped bad

14. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think they overpaid with two 2nd round picks, but not by much. If Matt Schaub works out, then it's a good deal. Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we aren't going to have a high 2nd round pick in 2008. I'm guessing we'll have a mid-to-late 2nd rounder in 2008 so that pick won't be worth as much.

15. fingers5

fingers5 Rookie

Ah, the Charley Casserly mentality. Lets not try to use them to our advantage, lets just give them away. (see the PBuc trade)

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

How can you say we are giving them away until you see Schaub play? Unless you can somehow see what the future is like and tell me Schaub is going to be a bust, you can't say it's a terrible trade. If Schaub becomes the QB the Texans think he can be (a good or very good QB), then it's not a bad deal. You take risks making trades.

17. sleepwalker

sleepwalker Veteran

You just can't put a price on shutting up Carr haters and VY crybabies...This trade was worth every penny.

HuttoKarl likes this.
  18. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4649552.html

Yes, we've over paid. I've heard all the hype over this guy the past couple of years, but what's he done to be worthy of 2 seconds round picks, and switching 1st? We could draft a just as proven QB this year, rather than give up this much. Schaub was a 3rd 4 years ago and hasn't played much at all. Atlanta only got a 2nd from GB for Farve. What makes this guy so speacial. He better show some stuff on the field real quick. I hope we get a 2nd from the Raiders for Carr, if we have to give up 2 2nd's for Schaub. This bothers me.:confused:

Only time will tell, and I hope Schaub works out.

19. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

That's a big IF

20. Clash_Fan3605

Clash_Fan3605 Veteran

Could we still get Landry at the 10?
    & I also think 2 2nd rounders is a bit too much, maybe a 2nd this year & a 3rd next year would be better.