Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Did the Texans Make the Right Draft Choice in QBs

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Before anyone begins throwing tomatoes, let me say that I do not have a firm opinion on this at this time. Trubisky was never on the Texans radar (and I say this despite his recent 6 TD performance). But we do know that Mahomes was. I'm not a certified QB expert, and so I throw this out as an honest question.

Last edited:

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Yeah not an option to draft Mahomes as KC moved up first - but if they had really wanted him I guess they could have traded up first/higher.

Not sure if there was a right choice - Watson in his first handful of games set the world on fire, and so is Mahomes. Like Watson I expect after enough games and film is available the league will be able to slow Mahomes.

I really like Mahomes and he was my choice for QB, but I wasn't disappointed with Watson. Things I really liked about Mahomes 1) really strong arm (not sure how much this matters overall though, Watson has plenty of arm strength) 2) his ability to throw the ball anywhere when on the move - just ridiculous 3) in college tape just always seemed to get it done (example last night of switching hands and throwing on the run with his left - WHAT!?!).

Shishkabob

All Pro
Before anyone begins throwing tomatoes, let me say that I do not have a firm opinion on this at this time. Trubinsky was never on the Texans radar (and I say this despite his recent 6 TD performance). But we do know that Mahomes was. I'm not a certified QB expert, and so I throw this out as an honest question.
to small of a sample size from both to truly know IMO. 4 games into Watson's tenure he was the talk of the league, same with Mahomes. Mahomes I think is in the better situation as far as offensive talent, and coaching are concerned.

I liked Mahomes more coming out, a lot a bit of bias because I went to TTU, but Watson was a close second for me. I also liked Mahomes arm a whole lot, you normally don't come across a QB who has a cannon but also knows how to throw with touch

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
to small of a sample size from both to truly know IMO. 4 games into Watson's tenure he was the talk of the league, same with Mahomes. Mahomes I think is in the better situation as far as offensive talent, and coaching are concerned.

I liked Mahomes more coming out, a lot a bit of bias because I went to TTU, but Watson was a close second for me. I also liked Mahomes arm a whole lot, you normally don't come across a QB who has a cannon but also knows how to throw with touch
This is what attracted me also.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Before anyone begins throwing tomatoes, let me say that I do not have a firm opinion on this at this time. Trubinsky was never on the Texans radar (and I say this despite his recent 6 TD performance). But we do know that Mahomes was. I'm not a certified QB expert, and so I throw this out as an honest question.
Mahomes was my favorite QB in that draft and I think that was who BOB really wanted.

I would've given up the 2nd (Cunningham) to get him.

Watson is a lot better than I thought he would be. But I think Mahomes is the more naturally gifted guy.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The big question about Watson is can he stay healthy. Trubinsky was my favorite but we never had a shot at getting him. Peterman also interested me.

LikeMike

Veteran
Yeah Mahomes is this seasons Watson. What Watson did was historical, what Mahomes is doing is historical. I like his Zero interceptions a lot. If you ask me now, I guess Mahomes is the better Player - and he didn't suffer those injuries.

But KC has a really good O-line and running game. Two Things Watson does not have and those two Things make the QBs Job so much easier. Plus he has a super bowl winning Coach that is really good with QBs.

So was Watson the wrong choice? Absolutely not. He might be the best draft pick the Texans ever spent.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Switch Watson and Mahomes and Watson will come alive with his very good o-line and HC. Mahomes on the Texans will be running for his life and getting sacked.

Switching the QB names around won't make a difference for the Texans, and probably not for KC either.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Impossible to answer this question now, also a bit unfair as the situations are different. As others have said, Mahomes is setting the league on fire, just like Watson did last season. Teams have more game film (and an offseason) to adjust to Watson, not so much with Mahomes. Andy Reid also has a long history of grooming successful QBs, while OB has zilch.

edromeo

Rookie
I am not sure what you are asking? Neither Mitchell nor Mahomes were available......you are asking IF all QBs were available did the Texans choose the right one?

Situation matters. Different personnel, different scheme, different coaching etc.

But in a vacuum....

I thought Watson was the best QB prospect in that draft class and I still feel that way.
Imho there was/is a lot that made the best prospect for in my eyes chief of those being....p o i s e. Mahomes has a better arm, Mitch has a more durable (seeming) NFL body.

The aspect of Watson game that I like/liked -confident decision maker which led to him getting the ball out quickly

Playmaker-can escape sacks/pressure and turn a negative play into a big play...and can be used in the read-option game to keep defenses honest.

I was concerned about Mahomes adlibbing too much and not giving the designed play a chance....and I was concerned about how raw Mitchell was....and I wan't hesitant about both of their versions of the spread.

But for me it all comes back to poise...if the other QBs played behind the Texans current OL I don't think they would look nearly as good.

If Watson was in K.C. I can't think of better situation for a young QB then to play in an Andy Reid system.

Last edited:

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I'm happy with Watson. Last season gave us a glimpse of what he is capable of. I think he'll get back to that level. The other 2 are promising QBs as well but I like what we ended up with.

It's too early anyway to say one is better than the others long term, but all 3 make this a difficult pick which means all 3 teams and fans should be happy. I know I am.

that was never the argument, someone called him a SB winning coach which he is not. He got close with McNabb, but that's been it. He is still a better coach I think than OB.
Sure, but the followup of only 1 game over .500 in the playoffs implied he wasn't that great of a coach. Other than Belichick, that's pretty standard.

edit: Also, he's 2 games under .500.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Are you asking if the Texans should have made a better offer to trade up for Mahomes?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
It's nothing short of amazing what Deshaun is doing. Mahomes has Hunt, Hill, Kelce and a much better OL. Add to that the most creative offense in the league this year and I'd say Alex Smith would look as good as Mahomes. Deshaun has DHop and every once in a while Fuller and what else?

edromeo

Rookie
Kinda doubt that. Carr was sacked 19 times in his 1st 3 games.
Carr was sacked 19 times in his first 3 games.
[just saw that Cak already posted this]
My post was hyperlinked to the source of the article: Profootball Focus.
As the article states the Watson has been hit-sacked more then any Texans QB THEY=Profootball Focus has seen through 3 games.
Clearly, PFF wasn't around during the Carr years.

The point of the article wasn't to quibble over how long PFF has been around or whether Watson is being hit/sacked as much as Carr.

The point is that Watson is getting hit a ton or do you disagree with the overall point too?

edromeo

Rookie
It's nothing short of amazing what Deshaun is doing. Mahomes has Hunt, Hill, Kelce and a much better OL. Add to that the most creative offense in the league this year and I'd say Alex Smith would look as good as Mahomes. Deshaun has DHop and every once in a while Fuller and what else?
Don't forget he got to sit for a year and watch Alex Smith execute the offense at a high level. Remember what the offense looks like without Watson....he was thrown into the fire of an offense held back by a porous OL and mediocre playing.

Max

Veteran
*Our historical stats only date back to the beginning of our company, not the beginning of the sport.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
My post was hyperlinked to the source of the article: Profootball Focus.
As the article states the Watson has been hit-sacked more then any Texans QB THEY=Profootball Focus has seen through 3 games.
Clearly, PFF wasn't around during the Carr years.

The point of the article wasn't to quibble over how long PFF has been around or whether Watson is being hit/sacked as much as Carr.

The point is that Watson is getting hit a ton or do you disagree with the overall point too?
I certainly agree with that point. But I watched the Texans from day 1, the linked post does not present accuracy. Carr was just hit more than 10 times per game (that would take the hit + sack number way beyond 19). He was a virtual punching bag.......truly painful to watch. And that was what I was responding to.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Mahomes clearly looks like not just the class of the draft, but like an all time great based on intangibles.

We didn't get aggressive enough to land him like KC did though. Oh well, we got Watson and he's shown a lot of strong potential between last season and this season. We just need a better offensive coaching staff to get him on a roll hopefully to bring out the best in him.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Well he is being hit a lot. But hardly at the epic pace they convey. Don't have to look way back to their founding (when?). Last year the Texans gave up 15 sacks in the 1st 3 games.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes we made the right choice in selecting Watson. Unfortunately our coaching and offensive line is negating his true potential.

Now if we drafted Mahomes he would be in the same boat as Watson.
Agreed, but until the OL gets fixed we will never know how good Watson could be.

With that said I wanted Mahomes because he is more naturally gifted.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Mahomes was my #1 choice in that draft - that's well documented but KC went and got him - I really didn't except that. Shocked the hell outa me that they made that move up.

Right now today , I'd still take Mahomes over either Trubisky or Watson …. but we don't have that choice to make.

I think a team can win with Watson , he just needs the right scheme , he's handicapped playing for this clown we call a head coach. He's got three really good receivers …. but the coaching ineptitude along with the poor OL …. I expect him to struggle.

edromeo

Rookie
Well he is being hit a lot. But hardly at the epic pace they convey. Don't have to look way back to their founding (when?). Last year the Texans gave up 15 sacks in the 1st 3 games.
So you agree that he's being hit a lot? Cool.

Also, they are talking about hits+sacks so if you are gonna nitpick what they are saying you should use the same criteria you shouldn't exclude hits and only count sacks.

But again these are pointless quibbles since you already agree with the point: Watson is being hit a lot

zshawn10

All Pro
Saints were going to take Mahomes at their pick before Chiefs went up and traded for Mahomes. The bears are the ones that screwed up

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
So you agree that he's being hit a lot? Cool.

Also, they are talking about hits+sacks so if you are gonna nitpick what they are saying you should use the same criteria you shouldn't exclude hits and only count sacks.

But again these are pointless quibbles since you already agree with the point: Watson is being hit a lot
Do you know of a non-subscription source for hits?

Hits are virtually always higher than sacks so I'm confident with 15 sacks last season the total is higher than this season.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Cool, because that was the point.

The rest of your post/objection disagrees with a notion that the article is not saying.
The article is not comparing Watson hits/sacks to Carr. You are.
Come on now. The quote you specifically posted
Houston Texans: Deshaun Watson has been sacked (10) and hit (19) a combined 29 times in the first three weeks of the season. That’s the most that we’ve ever seen from a Texans quarterback in the first three games.
automatically speaks to a comparison to Carr.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
That's the only way we would have gotten him. But my main question was concerning the comparison of the 2.
I'd rather have Mahomes than Watson and Cunningham, and said as much back then, if that's more to your point.

But Watson is obviously no sad sack consolation prize. I've no doubt a team can bring home a Lombardi with him running the offense and we should be pretty content to have a youthful rare gem at the most coveted position in pro sports.

Wentz
Mahomes
Watson
Goff
Garoppolo
Trubisky
Mayfield
Rosen
Darnold

Whole bunch of talent coming into the league in the last few years at that position and a whole bunch of teams shuffling frantically to get a piece of any one of them and I feel pretty alright with the one we landed.