Did Kubiak just call out Richard Smith?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Oct 19, 2008.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

From the Houston Texans postgame review on the official website:

After the game, Kubiak was steamed about the defensive breakdown on the long scoring play.

"We were in quarter-quarter-half (defense)," Kubiak said, "so (Faggins) should be back there in the deep quarter of the field. It's inexcusable. But that's not his fault. That's our fault as coaches. That's our fault as coaches to not get the player to do his job in that situation."

Kubiak doesn't strike me as a HC who meddles in defensive affairs. It looks to me like he just called out Richard Smith for what he is, a below subpar defensive coordinator not even fit to direct a defense on Madden.

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

If so, I hope that means that Kubiak isn't scared of getting rid of this waste during the off season.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

We did alot of those long looping stunts again. It seemed on the 3rd and 17 they converted that Mario ran into a wall on a loop .

4. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

hope kubiak remembers to look in the mirror

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Do iy now KUBES

6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Richard Smith is obviously the weakest link here and he has overstayed his visit. I said I would give him a probation period starting with this game, and he is on thin ice. They came off with a win but it was not because of the defense.

I want to see a complete 60 minute defensive effort against the winless Bengals...

1) NO big plays given up
    2) CONSISTENT pressure on the QB
    3) IMPROVEMENT in the secondary

If I see those three things for the majority of next weeks game, I may back off of Smith for a while... until the next game. This defense has to prove that it can compete.

7. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

He won't crush is players publicly for being who they are. He won't crush his coaches publicly even if they stink. Though it is more satistifying calling out specific players or coaches, in the long run it is counterproductive, especially right after a game.

My discussion of that quote at the Chron blog:

Houston beats Detroit; Texans defense scary in a bad way

I was so hoping to get through a game without seeing something totally weird. That Faggins/Johnson play was totally weird, yet at the same time, totally not weird.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I'm calling for Kubiak right now!

9. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

To me, that sounds like he's calling out Hoke.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but what he's saying is that in that defense, Faggins shouldn't have been up in press coverage. He should have been playing off in a deep zone. But instead of getting on Faggins for it, he's calling out the coaches for Faggins not knowing what he was supposed to do.

Maybe I'm just reading that wrong.

10. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I don't care who he called out because Faggins shouldn't even be on the roster. At what point do the ballclub see Faggins is the worse corner in the league. He has no makeup orlong speed. How many times do we have to see it happen. I guess lee evans wasn't enough. Then, we look up and he's on johnson. All johnson ran was a simple 9 route and he got seperation so quick that even if he had safety help, it would hve been too late.

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Kubiak has a good team this year.
    He has done a poor job preparing the players for the games!

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

For sentimental reasons, I like Faggins. He's homegrown. He tries really, really hard. And as a coach I can see where you want to reward hard work. But there comes a time to realize that no matter how hard Petey works there are guys who have more upside.

Petey, bless his heart, may be "maxed out". Most likely he'll never be any faster or get any taller or be able to cover any better. And after 6 full years in the league (some of them behind two of the best CBs in Aaron Glenn & Marcus Coleman), you'd think he'd seen & learned how the position should be played.

Apparently not.

So perhaps its time to develop the younger guys like Bennett and Molden who still have upside. Put them in before they start "learning" from Petey.

This game was way more "exciting" than it should have been. And there will come a time where our "8-to-80" connection isn't clicking ....when the running game isn't effective... ...when we'll need the defense to win it for us.

Heaven help us.
    :texflag:

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Nah, if 8-80 isn't working, it's because OD and KW are open. :texflag:

14. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

To me, it sounds like Kubiak is trying not to call out Faggins, so he deflected the blow-out to coaching. He didn't call out any one coach. He just said what he has said in games past - that coaches are not putting players in the position to win. I think he's put himself in that same corner, too.

It's easy to blast Faggins. Once Moden/Bennett/Reeves/whoever gets worked out, Faggins is gone. So why give everybody more ammunition?

Runner likes this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is what was meant by the thread "Manufactured Excitement" that I started after the Fins game. Some blasted me as they saw it as introducing this concept in the face of our 1st win. However, if those same people do not look at the situation as it really is, they will enjoy short-term celebration followed by long-term disappointed.........if some very important weaknesses (in players as well as coaching) aren't seriously addressed.

16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Faggins sucks point blank...no surprise as far as what happened to him...it was just a matter of time. I'm just glad that Kubes/Smith had the wherewithall (sp?) to get him out of the game from then on. The lions tried the same thing closer to the endzone later against bennett & he knocked it down.

I also got a chance to see the whole field since i attended the game & willie demps was being picked on all day...at some point their gonna have to do something with him too.

As far as Dunta...he looked good to me, obviously he's missing some of that burst but this game was more about just getting back used to being out there in game situations....he even said that. It's encouraging that they sent him after the qb a couple of times, but other than that i'm just glad he's back. i don't know what some expected the guy hadn't played in almost a year.

17. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Ah, I think he was just calling out the coaching in general (including himself) looking at the entire post game quotes. Funny how Faggins wasn't asked (or printed anyway) about the 96 yard pass. Apparently Kubiak got onto Schaub for his fumble as well.

Overall, looks like quite a few are saying the same thing the fans are, especially about letting up in the 2nd half.

18. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Sounds all inclusive to me....

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

Kubiak was just glad that we was able to blame others, instead of doing his "aww shucks..." routine after all the bad head coaching jobs he's done at the start of the year.

Was fun to see the Lions coach doing his version of Kubiak's "challenge flag meltdown" whereby you pray and hope that you are given a gift from the refs because you're not getting it done on the field. If y ou laughed at the Liona coach for doing that...just remember that THAT was Kubiak for the first three games.

The offense is finally an NFL-caliber offense (if they continue to use the TE as they have been doing)...the defense needs a Chicago Bears-esque remodeling in the draft and free agency for the next two years: Just load it up on the d-side of the ball, and watch what happens.

Our DC is weak, but I am beginning to buy into some of the posters' ideas here (like Marcus) who say that the talent level is the real key here. Good players can make coaches look like geniuses.

20. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Certainly the talent level on the defense needs to improve.

But what in Richard Smith's background makes you think that he would be good at choosing that talent and developing it?

It's not like the offensive side of the ball has a ton of probowlers on it. Or any more first round picks than the defense. The wide receivers/tight ends are Andre Johnson and a bunch of guys that nobody else wanted. Owen Daniels is currently the most productive TE in the league--4th round pick.

Teams need to incorporate young players and free agents quickly into what they are doing on the field--having easily teachable schemes is crucial in the modern salary cap era.

There is no amount of time that the offense can keep the ball, and it doesn't matter how good the field position is. If you can't stop Detroit from scoring, your defense can't stop anyone.

You get situations where every body tries too hard because they can't trust that normal football play will result in normal football results.