Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dez Bryant Cut

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Run in the 4.4s you are a speedster and in the 4.5s then you are slow. I think this is way overblown. The difference between the two is one tenth of a freaking second. Hopkins isn't a burner, but he is far from being slow. He sure didn't look slow on the short pass from Watson where he took it 70 plus yards into the end zone last year.
A tenth of a second is yards of ground in coverage. Of course it's relevant.

Being a burner isn't a necessity in the league, as DHop is evidence, but it's a considerable factor if one has it.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Actually the difference is a little under a yard at 40 yrs in ideal conditions which rarely applies to football.
Yards plural may have been a bit much, but the point is still there. Speed matters, and tenths of seconds show up on the field, where a pro qb can find the openings those tenths can create. It's not the end all be all, but that shouldn't be an argument to have to defend to begin with.

Texas Jake

Rookie
A tenth of a second is yards of ground in coverage. Of course it's relevant.

Being a burner isn't a necessity in the league, as DHop is evidence, but it's a considerable factor if one has it.
I'm not saying a tenth of a second doesn't mean anything, of course it does. I am saying that the difference between a 4.4 time and a 4.5 time is not as great as some people may think. Hopkins is not a stretch the defense speedster, but he does have enough speed that a defensive back still has to respect the deep route. He can't out run most DBs, but he is fast enough to make them pay if the bite on the fake and he gets behind them.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
All 40 yard times are not the same. Some explode faster off go. Some explode off breaks in a route tree. That's not measured in a 40.
I sometimes wished they would do the 40 in pads or have them be the rabbit to a known greyhound. Some people run as fast as they need to. Kinda like Watson seems to throw as hard as needs to, to bring up an old argument on here.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I sometimes wished they would do the 40 in pads or have them be the rabbit to a known greyhound. Some people run as fast as they need to. Kinda like Watson seems to throw as hard as needs to, to bring up an old argument on here.
I have no idea why so much weight is given to the 40. Most players lose weight, train solely for maximizing their speed, and wear their underwear. They are not in NFL football shape for the run. Once they prepare for real football, they're usually gaining significant weight, wearing full pads, running much more than straight line.....dodging, ducking and jumping (like a rabbit not confined to a track)........and often enough against resistance.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Run in the 4.4s you are a speedster and in the 4.5s then you are slow. I think this is way overblown. The difference between the two is one tenth of a freaking second. Hopkins isn't a burner, but he is far from being slow. He sure didn't look slow on the short pass from Watson where he took it 70 plus yards into the end zone last year.
"100ths of seconds don't matter that much in real game situations; 10ths of seconds do. 40 yards is 1440 inches. A player that runs a 4.40s 40 yard dash would beat a player that ran a 4.50s 40 by 32 inches. A difference of 0.01s means that the "slower" player is 3.2 inches behind the faster player. That is over 40 yards though."
Joe Mahoney@ndjomo76 May 21, 2014, 8:00am MDT

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
"100ths of seconds don't matter that much in real game situations; 10ths of seconds do. 40 yards is 1440 inches. A player that runs a 4.40s 40 yard dash would beat a player that ran a 4.50s 40 by 32 inches. A difference of 0.01s means that the "slower" player is 3.2 inches behind the faster player. That is over 40 yards though."
Joe Mahoney@ndjomo76 May 21, 2014, 8:00am MDT
Still exaggerates the difference. 40 yd routes are rare. 95% (made up) of plays go off with the receivers within 20 yds (most of a 40 time is spent on the 1st 20l. Now you're talking 16" or less. Separation is created most often by moves, scheme and the fact the receiver knows and the DB is reacting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Still exaggerates the difference. 40 yd routes are rare. 95% (made up) of plays go off with the receivers within 20 yds (mist of a 40 time is spent on the 1st 20l. Now you're talking 16" or less. Separation is created most often by moves, scheme and the fact the receiver knows and the DB is reacting.
Again I agree but hope to see this come into play with Watson throwing deep to our guys. Per article at 40 there is a gap of almost a yard so at 20ish yards there could be a gap of 6-8 inches (pulling this out of my back pocket) very significant to a QB like Watson.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Again I agree but hope to see this come into play with Watson throwing deep to our guys. Per article at 40 there is a gap of almost a yard so at 20ish yards there could be a gap of 6-8 inches (pulling this out of my back pocket) very significant to a QB like Watson.
You would expect that separation especially at straight line would be highly logarithmic rather than linear, as the earlier yds would not have the head of steam that would be present at 40 yds.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You would expect that separation especially at straight line would be highly logarithmic rather than linear, as the earlier yds would not have the head of steam that would be present at 40 yds.
Agreed, but you need atleast 1 fast guy and a guy like Hopkins to stretch the defense and the other guy that can go deep but runs mostly digs/comebacks/back shoulder and some underneath routes. Fuller/Hopkins are a perfect match and if Coutee can run the short routes then the WR corps will be complete and very effective. If Akins can also stretch the seams down the middle then Watson will have a mulitude of weapons at his disposal. The running game should also be opened up because of these weapons. The whole key is whether a bunch of backup OL can keep Watson healthy. If Watson can stay healthy and the OL performs avg to slightly above avg then this team with this schedule can win 10-11 games. IMHO

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Agreed, but you need atleast 1 fast guy and a guy like Hopkins to stretch the defense and the other guy that can go deep but runs mostly digs/comebacks/back shoulder and some underneath routes. Fuller/Hopkins are a perfect match and if Coutee can run the short routes then the WR corps will be complete and very effective. If Akins can also stretch the seams down the middle then Watson will have a mulitude of weapons at his disposal. The running game should also be opened up because of these weapons. The whole key is whether a bunch of backup OL can keep Watson healthy. If Watson can stay healthy and the OL performs avg to slightly above avg then this team with this schedule can win 10-11 games. IMHO
Texans have been searching for speed in the passing game starting with Fuller in the 1st and continuing to find more deep threats since then. Hopkins is not a burner and the best way to take pressure off a guy like him is to have a ton of fast guys that can pull the safeties from rolling over the top of him. When Fuller is healthy it works quite well.

Hopefully Coutee and Akins can continue that trend so the offense hits another level. And if Vyncint Smith or Jester Weah can step in if/when Fuller gets banged up to continue providing that outside receiving deep threat even better!

Side note: Can we finally move this thread to the NFL Forum. The player in the thread title does not fit this scheme. He is not fast enough to move safeties off of #10. There is no room for him on this roster!

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Side note: Can we finally move this thread to the NFL Forum. The player in the thread title does not fit this scheme. He is not fast enough to move safeties off of #10. There is no room for him on this roster!
The entire discussion has been about him possibly with the Texans.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Other than the OL, Kubiak would have this offense at an incredible level... just hope OB's "new" offense can be where it should be

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not good at math but is why I said fewer inches separation at 20+ yards. Some WRs like Fuller or Coutee could be moving faster at 20 yards than the DB; it wouldn't take much for a completion.

dwight pugoy

Waterboy
We need this dude. We need a guy that when the play breaks and QB throws it up, dude goes up and gets the rock. None of you can convince me Keke "5 foot 8" and Klyle "slender man" fuller gonna do this!

Going to FoxBorough i'd feel better if Dez was with the crew. Not a dude named Keke.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
We need this dude. We need a guy that when the play breaks and QB throws it up, dude goes up and gets the rock. None of you can convince me Keke "5 foot 8" and Klyle "slender man" fuller gonna do this!

Going to FoxBorough i'd feel better if Dez was with the crew. Not a dude named Keke.
Who the hell is Kyle Fuller?

And that guy you don't like named KeKe, is going to be a game buster who can catch a slant and take it 60 yards...from the middle of the field. That's a lot more valuable than a possession receiver with size...which given your description of what you want from Dez is all your asking for. We already added and have receivers like that on the roster.

We didn't and don't have another KeKe type of receiver on our roster that can be a game changer/playmaker working exclusively from the slot (Dez isn't that receiver either)..Coutee is the type of receiver the Pats have developed and used in the middle of their offense to help them get to 7 superbowls. Where's their giant receivers? They had Moss for a year and then solely relied on the type of receivers you don't like..like KeKe.

P.S.

Will Fuller in 6 less games than Dez, playing in a lesser role with less targets had more big plays and more TDs than Bryant. We don't need Dez Bryant and apparently the rest of the league feels the same.

Last edited:

Mangler

Toro de España

And that guy you don't like named KeKe, is going to be a game buster who can catch a slant and take it 60 yards...from the middle of the field. That's a lot more valuable than a possession receiver with size...which given your description of what you want from Dez is all your asking for. We already added and have receivers like that on the roster.

We didn't and don't have another KeKe type of receiver who can be a game changer/playmaker working exclusively from the slot..who by the way is the type of receiver the Pats have developed and used in the middle of their offense to help them get to 7 superbowls. Where's their giant receivers? They had Moss for a year and then solely relied on the type of receivers you don't like..like KeKe.

P.S.

Will Fuller in 6 less games than Dez, playing in a lesser role with less targets had more big plays and more TDs than Bryant. We don't need Dez Bryant and apparently the rest of the league feels the same.
I wish I had more accounts so I could like this post like 10 times...

Scooter

Funky

Well if the play breaks and our QB has to sideline chuck it (most of O'Brien's scheme the past couple years), he's aiming for Hopkins - not Dez. If Dez wanted to help the offense he'd take pressure off of Hopkins by being 5'8" and able to run jerks and slants and deep in/out zones at light-speed, or post/cross deep like Fuller. He'd not have a history of being a problem, or drops, or disinterest, or inability to separate on routes. If Dez was who you think he is, he wouldn't have been let go, he'd have teams lining up to sign him, and he'd cost too much for us. Take the hint.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well if the play breaks and our QB has to sideline chuck it (most of O'Brien's scheme the past couple years), he's aiming for Hopkins - not Dez. If Dez wanted to help the offense he'd take pressure off of Hopkins by being 5'8" and able to run jerks and slants and deep in/out zones at light-speed, or post/cross deep like Fuller. He'd not have a history of being a problem, or drops, or disinterest, or inability to separate on routes. If Dez was who you think he is, he wouldn't have been let go, he'd have teams lining up to sign him, and he'd cost too much for us. Take the hint.
Teams aren't lined up because dude wants to be the man. Plus he wanted another hefty contract.

Another weapon in the redzone should always be welcomed.

As far as the drops. Most of them were bad placements by the QB. He does not have a history of drops like that either.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

That could be our very own 6-8 @ 240 lbs TE/WR- Robinson who will be working to make the team. You add his wingspan and 40+ inch vertical.....suddenly Watson might have a Red Zone target that he could heave the rock 15' in the air and it still be in Robinson's wheelhouse. How many NFL DB's do you think can take an alley-oop from above the backboard?

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club

You’re gonna love Keke

dwight pugoy

Waterboy

We didn't and don't have another KeKe type of receiver on our roster that can be a game changer/playmaker working exclusively from the slot (Dez isn't that receiver either)..Coutee is the type of receiver the Pats have developed and used in the middle of their offense to help them get to 7 superbowls. Where's their giant receivers? They had Moss for a year and then solely relied on the type of receivers you don't like..like KeKe.

P.S.

haha you know who I meant :D

I cannot believe you guys. Seriously Keke over Dez? I am suppose to love Keke? A what 3rd round WR? You guys acting like he is the second coming of Steve Smith without taking a pro snap. Dude will probably lost on his route tree first half of the season. Probably busts out like Braxton.

I would beg Dez to play for us, If I was GM.... for a reasonable rate of course.

dwight pugoy

Waterboy
The line is more in flux, we got people there that needs proving, you guys wanna add a 3rd round WR that needs proving too. We need length and a big body working underneath > speed IMHO. At this point this O-line is not proven. Fuller is already deep routing and Hop is doubled. Give watson an outlet that can win the jump ball or your asking him to run again risking injuries.

Dez will help Watson the most. Not giving him the jump ball option or the body shielded catch of Dez is foolishness at this point.

and why are we in love with Keke again? If you guys guarantee he will have Dough Baldwin type savy-ness then I am all for it. If you guys aint sure get Dez!!!!

I am just hoping Gaine sees the situation like I do. This could really help our team now and the future. IMHO Dez is more important than Clowney extension.

Scooter

Funky
IMHO Dez is more important than Clowney extension.
I was ignoring your posts as a blind fan of Dez, but then you went full .... well there's a meme for that.

Before further explaining about how much we need Dez, please do me the favor of explaining why nobody else has signed him? Why haven't WE signed him? What position would he play? He's not going to beat out Hopkins of course. Fuller was basically a touchdown anytime Watkins threw the ball his direction. Keke is Welker's - well, he's a ball of interesting potential and is going to be seeing the field a LOT. So, how much do we give Dez, and how do we incorporate him into our offense? WHY do we incorporate him into the offense when he's made it known that he's looking for a 1 year mercenary deal?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
The line is more in flux, we got people there that needs proving, you guys wanna add a 3rd round WR that needs proving too. We need length and a big body working underneath > speed IMHO. At this point this O-line is not proven. Fuller is already deep routing and Hop is doubled. Give watson an outlet that can win the jump ball or your asking him to run again risking injuries.

Dez will help Watson the most. Not giving him the jump ball option or the body shielded catch of Dez is foolishness at this point.

and why are we in love with Keke again? If you guys guarantee he will have Dough Baldwin type savy-ness then I am all for it. If you guys aint sure get Dez!!!!

I am just hoping Gaine sees the situation like I do. This could really help our team now and the future. IMHO Dez is more important than Clowney extension.

I think the Texans drafted Jordan Akins to do the things you suggest Dez could do here.

From all appearances it looks like the TE's will play a prominent role in the Texans offense this year.

:coffee:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why are so many of you guys enamored with Dez Byant ? He's just like his past employer/team, the Dallas "formerly know as Americas Team" Cowboys, which is a has-been.

dwight pugoy

Waterboy
Scooter - So we embrace Badger's mercenary deal and not get Dez because?
Obsiwan - Hopkins needs help, just one more "proven" guy. Who is available? Other than Dez. Not latching on to Dez, he is just the only big body WR left that is proven. He has something to prove
Idexans - JJ Watt through the back and the tibia has not been been productive in a season and a half, makes him a "has been" to? Given right situation and team need, players can thrive.
Cuppacoffee - Akins will help, but unless they are once in a generation talent. They don't usually impact games.
Infantrycak - I will not drop this until Dez signs with us or some other team...... by God I will throw it at your face when Dez makes the probowl somewhere else :D Hehe

I do understand that the rest of the league does believe Dez is a "has been". I think we have the pieces that a guy like Dez can revitalize a career and get us over the hump. People see "has been" I see great opportunity for both parties.

Got to tap the fact that Dez is hurt, angry and not a lock at the Hall of fame yet. This man is looking for that UMMMPHHH!!! Watson to Dez is gonna be the Juice that might get us some hardware.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Idexans - JJ Watt through the back and the tibia has not been been productive in a season and a half, makes him a "has been" to? Given right situation and team need, players can thrive.
Not a good comparison. Hopefully JJ Watt is not a has been, right now his potential value to us is too great to just release him without an op to prove himself, but sadly he may prove to be a has been as early as this year.
The comparison I would point you towards is Brian Cushing who became our has been this year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Scooter - So we embrace Badger's mercenary deal and not get Dez because?
Obsiwan - Hopkins needs help, just one more "proven" guy. Who is available? Other than Dez. Not latching on to Dez, he is just the only big body WR left that is proven. He has something to prove
Cuppacoffee - Akins will help, but unless they are once in a generation talent. They don't usually impact games.
Infantrycak - I will not drop this until Dez signs with us or some other team...... by God I will throw it at your face when Dez makes the probowl somewhere else :D Hehe

I do understand that the rest of the league does believe Dez is a "has been". I think we have the pieces that a guy like Dez can revitalize a career and get us over the hump. People see "has been" I see great opportunity for both parties.

Got to tap the fact that Dez is hurt, angry and not a lock at the Hall of fame yet. This man is looking for that UMMMPHHH!!! Watson to Dez is gonna be the Juice that might get us some hardware.
I agree with some of what you said, like Dez isn't washed up.

But man, I didn't know Dez had fans as rabid as you.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Since Nov 1 last season, Bryant was dealing with both ankle and knee issues. He has had ankle surgery for bone chips in the past. His "knee injury" was never characterized by the Cowboys. However, what I have managed to find out is what Bryant dealt with was actually a significant case of patellar tendonitis..........small tears of the patellar tendon. This condition is one of overuse, tends to be a chronic progressive issue, and in time leads to larger tears and subsequent risk for patellar tendon rupture (ala., Tyler Ervub and Derrick Newton). Besides the numerous reasons already given for his present unemployment, this could very well be a crowning factor in teams avoiding bringing him on............ especially if he is seeking an unreasonable contract for his perceived value...........even a short-term one.