Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DeVier Posey

Hmm, you didn't have any problem with Josh Gordon. :):kitten:

None at all for a 2nd/3rd rd pick, once I found out RG3 wanted him on the Redskins. The Browns used a high 2nd supp pick on him, which I thought was a reach at the time. After seeing Gordon play this yr the Browns appear to have gotten good value. Gordon is as good as Williams/Woods Dobson/Hunter etc.... IMHO

A WR corps of AJ/Gordon/Posey/Walter and Martin looks pretty good to me. Can you promise me in the 2nd rd this yr the Texans will get a player that is as good as Gordon was this yr? I would take that player in a heartbeat. (Starter/Contributor WR1 as a rookie by the end of the yr.) Of course I dont have problems with guys who smoke weed. Some people, (BoB/Rick/Gary) do have a problem with pot smokers.

Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'. That's like when your buddy sets you up on a blind date and you ask if they look good and they respond with 'They have a wonderful personality!' He's pretty good against zone coverage but is quite similar to Walter when it comes to separation.

Posey simply has more tools so we need to slow down a bit with Jean being an eventual Dre replacement. I would someone a bit more well rounded as a #1. Posey would have more chance at that then Jean since he has size and speed.

Put it like this. At no point in this season has anyone really 'split' time with Walter at #2. Jean got some snaps but Walter still would have no less than double of his snaps. This past game? Walter 38 snaps....Posey 36.[/QUOTE]

Geez, I didn't realize ti was that many. Glad to finally see him on the field.
In this video he pronounces his name and states his improvement in 40 from 4.8s to 4.5s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81cKL-dVsmA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Combine 4.59 unofficial. I had much rather see him increase his ability to pull ball down against close coverage and take it away from DBs like we saw AJ do recently.

None at all for a 2nd/3rd rd pick, once I found out RG3 wanted him on the Redskins. The Browns used a high 2nd supp pick on him, which I thought was a reach at the time. After seeing Gordon play this yr the Browns appear to have gotten good value. Gordon is as good as Williams/Woods Dobson/Hunter etc.... IMHO

A WR corps of AJ/Gordon/Posey/Walter and Martin looks pretty good to me. Can you promise me in the 2nd rd this yr the Texans will get a player that is as good as Gordon was this yr? I would take that player in a heartbeat. (Starter/Contributor WR1 as a rookie by the end of the yr.) Of course I dont have problems with guys who smoke weed. Some people, (BoB/Rick/Gary) do have a problem with pot smokers.

You may want to go back and reread your own post.

I know you like Gordon.

How can you miss what was going on with him and use it as a knock against Posey is the question.

Here's hoping Posey has at least five catches and 50+ yards next game. I'd love to see him break out for us in the playoffs. The one catch in double coverage against the Colts was a thing of beauty.

You may want to go back and reread your own post.

I know you like Gordon.

How can you miss what was going on with him and use it as a knock against Posey is the question.

My opinion that Posey would've been available later, due to rust in the Sr Bowl practices. He was rusty and was dropping alot of passes was not meant as a knock against Posey.

He's obviously talented but you could tell that he sat of a yr. I didn't mean to use Gordon to say Posey was a bad pick. I said that drafting Posey and Gordon with a 2nd rd pick in the supp. draft would've been ideal.

But it was a moot point because the Browns used a high 2nd rd pick. Hope this clarifies my position.

Well said. Jean has gotten open some times but that is mainly against zone coverage. He has not been able to consistently beat someone man to man. After all folks look at his size which teams generally drool over but there's a reason the guy wasn't drafted. He's not very fast. A 4.61 forty can tell you that but Schaub made pretty evident when he said Jean has 'Deceptive speed'.

OK, let's figure out how to make a physics word problem out of this.

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.

Posey seems faster than that in pads.

Posey is faster than that. His combine time was 4.37.

The numbers quoted were for Jean.

Lestar Jean runs a 4.61 second 40-yd dash. Matt Schaub has a noodle arm and can't throw the ball 60 yards. How many seconds into the play will Schaub have to release the ball in order for Andre Johnson to have to stop and wait for the ball in order for AJ to match Jean's 4.61 second 40 yard time?

Well .... you get the point anyway. Having fast receivers would be just as great as having a QB that could throw him open.

I don't know about Jean, but if Schaub takes a 5 step drop Dre has already out ran his arm.

Last edited:
Posey is faster than that. His combine time was 4.37.
His official time recorded electronically by combine officials was 4.50 which is what needs to be the time we go by because it's compared to everyone elses "official time". Somebody like maybe his agent or brother might have clicked off a handheld 4.37, but those kinds of times can be less than objective for obvious reasons.

People overplay the schaub arm strength thing imo. His arm surely isn't the strongest but he can get it there; he can throw guys open.

Just off the top of my head, the denver game this year..the TD to AJ was about 55-60 yds in the air & the TD to walter was somewhere around 55. Neither guy had to really slow down to get it..it was pretty much where it needed to be. He also had a long TD pass to Jacoby last year where Jacoby had to leg it out to get it over Ed Reed of all people. All 3 of those throws He had guys bearing down on him to where he really couldn't follow thru...1 of them he was throwing off his back foot. The chad pennington's of the NFL can't make those throws under those circumstances...

His real problem is his deep ball acurracy b/c he tends to put a little too much air under the ball. Guys usually have issues with this when they're taking something off the ball to make sure their guy has a chance to get it. Just my opinion of course.

His official time recorded electronically by combine officials was 4.50 which is what needs to be the time we go by because it's compared to everyone elses "official time". Somebody like maybe his agent or brother might have clicked off a handheld 4.37, but those kinds of times can be less than objective for obvious reasons.

There's conflicting info. on even the "Official" time. Here's an NFL combine page that lists a 40 time of 4.37. Interestingly, every other stat agrees with those linked to off of his NFL player page.

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532930/devier-posey/

My opinion that Posey would've been available later, due to rust in the Sr Bowl practices. He was rusty and was dropping alot of passes was not meant as a knock against Posey.

He's obviously talented but you could tell that he sat of a yr. I didn't mean to use Gordon to say Posey was a bad pick. I said that drafting Posey and Gordon with a 2nd rd pick in the supp. draft would've been ideal.

But it was a moot point because the Browns used a high 2nd rd pick. Hope this clarifies my position.

Posey was allowed to practice with his team the whole year.
He played in the last 3 games.
He went to the Senior Bowl and attended the combine.

Gordon got kicked off the Baylor team; transfer rule does not allow him to practice at Utah.

Why did you think Posier is a reach because he's rusty and not Gordon, I fail to see the logic there :)

I am pleasantly surprised by Posey. I did not like the pick- I watched him for years at OSU (I was a student there), and thought he was a good college player, but would not amount to anything in the NFL. If he keeps playing like he did last week, I have some crow to eat.

Check out Rick Smith at HoustonTexans.com

He talks about Posey and Brandon Brooks.
About time to give these guys more playing time.
Broks "very gifted athlete at his size. able to bring him along slowly and he is improving."

Devier in practise "is explosive. Brought along slowly but will get more reps and might help down the stretch. Fast, great hands, length to separate & good strength. He and Lestar is last two on practise field."

Good info thanks 76!

I am pleasantly surprised by Posey. I did not like the pick- I watched him for years at OSU (I was a student there), and thought he was a good college player, but would not amount to anything in the NFL. If he keeps playing like he did last week, I have some crow to eat.

That's weird because I watched a majority of his games and I think his skill set can translate well to the pros.

He runs good routes, getting in and out of his break with suddenness.
He knows not to allow the CB to pin him to the side line.
He knows when to adjust his routes to help out his QB when he's under pressure.

I think he will continue to do well if he keeps putting in hard works.

Broks "very gifted athlete at his size. able to bring him along slowly and he is improving."

Devier in practise "is explosive. Brought along slowly but will get more reps and might help down the stretch. Fast, great hands, length to separate & good strength. He and Lestar is last two on practise field."

Good info thanks 76!

You're welcome.

Yeah, I thought it was good to hear those comments.

Sure sounds like they have made a lot of progress. :doot:

I always enjoy when draft forum reaches mainstream so fans can see why some of us enjoy this aspect of Texans so much. Really spot on from combine, even to 3rd rd. grade based off available information. With more production & without NCAA sanctions it's not that far of reach to say DeVier Posey would have received a second round grade, at least end of day probably how Texan War Room valued this prospect :)

Here is just one sample from yesteryear, hope some of you enjoy :fostering:

I would prefer to keep focused on the business of working the draft board which for the second year in a row Rick Smith has done an excellent job of doing, IMO. Some of us draft pundits or whatever some wish to label those of us who are passionate about the draft, your right don't have the resources. Heck I don't even cover the Big 10 with exception of a couple teams. One of my draft buddies rmartin65 posted this thread which focused on Texan draft pick frequency per College: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85653
2012 Draft
Round 1- Big 10
Round 3- Big 10
Round 3- MAC
Round 4- SEC
Round 4- Big 10
Round 4- Big 10
Round 5- Big 12
Round 6- Big 10

So it's not really about missing on talent its more a question of coverage, which is incomplete to say the least. I have no problem with that, got to work, missed the first two nights of draft in fact because duty called, its all good. All I can cover are those I watch & break down film personally. Love what I see from Whitney, clear BPA, small sample size, very fluid & explosive. I'm also willing to give Posey benifit of doubt despite his actions off field & limited production on the field. But he does have plus speed, ability to separate (better than Randle or Sanu) & good hands. Reminds me of a bigger Mario Manningham.

Back to the ability to trust your board & make positive moves under the gun. This draft should establish Rick Smith track record as one of the better GM's in the NFL. Having Wade working with Gary is a big plus. Scouts are doing a very good job in film rooms, College games, combine, pro-days & back ground checks. Anyone else see something different? positive/negative let it out :uchicken:

That's weird because I watched a majority of his games and I think his skill set can translate well to the pros.

He runs good routes, getting in and out of his break with suddenness.
He knows not to allow the CB to pin him to the side line.
He knows when to adjust his routes to help out his QB when he's under pressure.

I think he will continue to do well if he keeps putting in hard works.

I just saw a bunch of "average" qualities when I watched him. Good hands, not great. Good routes, not great. Good speed, not great. But the biggest thing, is that I saw him alligator arm it on routes across the middle. I hate when receivers seem scared going across the middle.

Anyway, if I was wrong, then I was wrong. Does not bother me in the least, as I root for every Texan to succeed.

Posey was allowed to practice with his team the whole year.
He played in the last 3 games.
He went to the Senior Bowl and attended the combine.

Gordon got kicked off the Baylor team; transfer rule does not allow him to practice at Utah.

Why did you think Posier is a reach because he's rusty and not Gordon, I fail to see the logic there :)

I thought Posey was a reach because I thought he was a good at everything/great at nothing WR. A Good at everything WR2 is an upgrade to the Texans WR corps. IMHO

Gordon had the ability to be a star WR1 type WR. IMHO I guess what I'm saying is I think Gordon has the ability to be better than Posey.

Gordon has developed into the Browns WR1. So I think my evaluation stands on it's own. I hope Posey can reach WR1 level someday. This was not meant to be a slight to Poseys abilities. You took one sentence in a paragraph out of context and made it out to be a slight of Poseys ability, which it wasn't meant to be.

Which WR's in this yrs draft do you think have potential to be WR's 1 type guys and where would you rank Gordon if he was in this draft class?

I hated high school AP physics for that very reason^ friggin word problems.

I just saw a bunch of "average" qualities when I watched him. Good hands, not great. Good routes, not great. Good speed, not great. But the biggest thing, is that I saw him alligator arm it on routes across the middle. I hate when receivers seem scared going across the middle.

Anyway, if I was wrong, then I was wrong. Does not bother me in the least, as I root for every Texan to succeed.

Naw I think that was in his scouting report regarding the 'alligator arms'. Luckily, we just saw him make a catch right in front of a safety last game and he took it like a champ. Guess it helps that you're not allowed to even breath on receivers these days so there is less fear going over the middle so the receivers can be nicely cuddled...

....is it obvious I was a defensive back? LOL

I always enjoy when draft forum reaches mainstream so fans can see why some of us enjoy this aspect of Texans so much. Really spot on from combine, even to 3rd rd. grade based off available information. With more production & without NCAA sanctions it's not that far of reach to say DeVier Posey would have received a second round grade, at least end of day probably how Texan War Room valued this prospect :)

Here is just one sample from yesteryear, hope some of you enjoy :fostering:
Hear, hear!! :handshake::toast2:

Naw I think that was in his scouting report regarding the 'alligator arms'. Luckily, we just saw him make a catch right in front of a safety last game and he took it like a champ. Guess it helps that you're not allowed to even breath on receivers these days so there is less fear going over the middle so the receivers can be nicely cuddled...

I am a "defense" guy but too much bumping going on. If you bumped a concert pianist off his chair the result would not be good nor fair. If you were having brain surgery, would it be ok for the nurse to bump the doctor 'cause that is just part of operating room game? Same with basketball, the ball is fair but not the body of the offensive player. Mauling should be left to the football linemen and the DBs down field. IMO even our guy Joseph gets away with a lot.

You read those reports and one would say that while another would say the exact opposite.

I think a lot of Posey's "alligator arm" issue in college was because he didn't trust his QB not to get him killed.

I honestly didn't see that problem.

The funny thing is I once read a website that brought up a play to talk about this "so-called" issue. The ball was closer to the safety than to Posier. Neither can't get to the ball, but they said he short-armed the ball because he saw the safety coming. The truth is he knew neither was going to get to the ball. Don't get killed over nothing.

I hated high school AP physics for that very reason^ friggin word problems.

At what angle would Matt Schaub need to throw the ball if there were a wind in his face at 1 m/s? Calculate theta. How high would Schaub have to throw the ball in order for AJ to be able to jump over the slow-ass Colt that AJ had already beaten but had to come back to?

:D

I honestly didn't see that problem.

The funny thing is I once read a website that brought up a play to talk about this "so-called" issue. The ball was closer to the safety than to Posier. Neither can't get to the ball, but they said he short-armed the ball because he saw the safety coming. The truth is he knew neither was going to get to the ball. Don't get killed over nothing.

A play. I expect better of you 76, you are the one who breaks down countless plays to prove a point!

I saw him alligator arming it. Granted, student seats at OSU are not that great, but I feel confident in what I saw.

It is a correctable issue though, and I have no doubt that, like TPN said, it was likely influenced by a lack of trust in his QB. We saw him make a nice grab the other day, hopefully we see more of that.

At what angle would Matt Schaub need to throw the ball if there were a wind in his face at 1 m/s? Calculate theta. How high would Schaub have to throw the ball in order for AJ to be able to jump over the slow-ass Colt that AJ had already beaten but had to come back to?

Shut up dudes with your "physics". Algebra kicked by butt. Numbers are bad enough then they want to throw the alphabet at me? Letters are for sentences not math.

A play. I expect better of you 76, you are the one who breaks down countless plays to prove a point!

I saw him alligator arming it. Granted, student seats at OSU are not that great, but I feel confident in what I saw.

It is a correctable issue though, and I have no doubt that, like TPN said, it was likely influenced by a lack of trust in his QB. We saw him make a nice grab the other day, hopefully we see more of that.

I know, that's why I think it's funny that they used only one play to declare that he has the knack of short-arming the ball.

And they use the wrong play to describe it, LOL! :toropalm:

I've had reviewed more than 15 Buckeyes games with Posier playing.

I know, that's why I think it's funny that they used only one play to declare that he has the knack of short-arming the ball.

And they use the wrong play to describe it, LOL! :toropalm:

I've had reviewed more than 15 Buckeyes games with Posier playing.

I'm sure you have watched a bunch of Posey's games, I was just giving you are hard time.

Do you ever see him becoming a number 1?

It's difficult to believe there are football knowledgeable people who believe Matt probably underthrew that ball on purpose. Simply because Matt said he prefers to.

That is asinine. That would have been a touchdown had it been thrown correctly. Andre has been robbed of tens of TDs a year because of throws like that.

I'm sure you have watched a bunch of Posey's games, I was just giving you are hard time.

Do you ever see him becoming a number 1?

I don't know.
It's hard to imagine that; especially not one in the top half of the league anyway.

There was hardly a play that make you go WOW.
He's not a freak; not real tall, not real big, not real fast, not real tricky, not real quick, not real explosive, doesn't have really big hands, doesn't jump really high, etc.

He's just pretty good to very good at a lot of different things.

It's probably more realistic to look at him as the eventual replacement for Walter.

It's difficult to believe there are football knowledgeable people who believe Matt probably underthrew that ball on purpose. Simply because Matt said he prefers to.

That is asinine. That would have been a touchdown had it been thrown correctly. Andre has been robbed of tens of TDs a year because of throws like that.

May not have been on purpose, but its better to underthrow it and at least give him a shot to out-jump the db and get it rather than over throwing him and missing the opportunity to put points on the board all together...

May not have been on purpose, but its better to underthrow it and at least give him a shot to out-jump the db and get it rather than over throwing him and missing the opportunity to put points on the board all together...

I'm fine with that. Don't believe it. They've only had 6 years to work on it... but whatever.

However, elite & clutch should not be on the short list of adjectives when describing Matt Schaub. Not with throws like that.

I'm fine with that. Don't believe it. They've only had 6 years to work on it... but whatever.

However, elite & clutch should not be on the short list of adjectives when describing Matt Schaub. Not with throws like that.

I agree. Just listing the pros and cons of airing it out vs. throwing it short like that sometimes. Clearly, that particular throw was one he'd want back though.

Back