Detroit Free Press Reports Trading #2 Pick

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by coachdent, Jan 31, 2007.

1. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

Heard on the radio this morning that rumblings out of Detroit are for the Lions to deal thier 1st round #2 overall pick to the Eagles for Donovan McNabb. It's Super Bowl week, so rumors will definitely fly.

With that rumor, one would think that the Eagles would entertain the Raider's offers for the #1 pick. The feeling in the City of Brotherly Love (aka The City of Brotherly Homicides) is that Brady Quinn along with two years of grooming under Garcia, is the best course of action for the Birds.

The knock against McNabb is that he has been to the NFC Championship four times in a row and only went to the Super Bowl once and lost it. Obviously a bum... He also seems to be injury prone. There also seems to be a very large racial element in Philly.... shhhhhhhhh! :winky:

2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Lions are going to be a dangerous team next year, they have alot of offensive talent......Roy Williams is a top 3 receiver in the league and thats no lie....just look it up.

4. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

This could be very interesting if that happens....

5. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

humm...at first i kinda laughed at that idea, but it dosen't seem too ridiculous. might as well stick with the guy that got you a playoff win. and for the lions, there's nothing wrong with getting mcnabb. he'll be back in good shape by next season. you think the eagles would you use that 2nd on a QB? there Dline has been kinda hurt for most of the year from what i remember.

6. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I really hope this doesn't happen. It would be nice to see McNaab succeed, after all. If this goes through he'll be relegated to the likes of Barry Sanders...great player on a team destined for failure.

7. real

real Guest

I think McNabb makes that team legit or atleast a couple pieces away from it.

8. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

I dont like this rumor at all. McNabb is on the wrong side of 30. If the Lions are smart, they'd take Thomas w/#2 pick and take best QB available in round 2.(Troy Smith) Then again, this is Matt Millen we are talking about...

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I just looked at the Detroit Free Press, and it didn't say boo regarding this rumor. Sounds completely bogus.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The only scuttlebutt I could find was an Ann Arbor rag from 1/26

http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1169826207194290.xml&coll=2

snippet:
    The fact is, a college quarterback is always an unknown commodity until he proves he's not, which brings us to Donovan McNabb.

The former NFL Pro Bowler is suffering through a little mid-career crisis. He blew out his knee this season, and when veteran backup Jeff Garcia led the Eagles to the playoffs, Philadelphia's notoriously fickle fans and media began to wonder whether they might be better off with Garcia at quarterback than McNabb.

Yes, that Jeff Garcia, the one who flopped in Detroit.

Seriously, stop laughing.

There have been weird rumbles in Eagle-ville lately, with coach Andy Reid ordering McNabb not to travel with the team for a playoff game, then canceling a news conference the quarterback wanted to hold.

This led to a newspaper report suggesting McNabb is unhappy with the team, which Reid quickly refuted.

11. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

He must mean "Free Press" in the broad sense. Could radio speculation be considered "free press?"

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

And from a Califonia paper

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/states/california/16532785.htm

snippet:
    Reports of Donovan McNabb's discontent with the Eagles aren't just greatly exaggerated, they are entirely fabricated, according to coach Andy Reid and the quarterback's agent, Fletcher Smith.

"I think people are making a lot of things up here that aren't true," Reid said Tuesday in a conference call from Mobile, Ala.

"None of it is true," said Smith, also in Mobile attending Senior Bowl workouts.

Since Reid canceled a McNabb news conference that had been scheduled for Friday, Internet and newspaper reports have said the quarterback is unhappy with the Eagles. One said McNabb was in "a squabble" with the team about his rehabilitation from the knee surgery that cut short his 2006 season.

A rumor reported on a football Web site said that McNabb was, at some point, behind in his rehab and that he blamed trainer Rick Burkholder. The Web site said, "There's a school of thought" that Reid canceled McNabb's press conference, in part, because of "concerns that McNabb would blab about the brouhaha."

13. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

Broad sense to be sure. It didn't come out of my rear, that's for sure!

It is a rumor mill and rumors are what they are... opportunities for discussion and speculation and what not. There are 86 days to the draft. This won't be the first rumor to come down the block.

There is a great deal of unrest in Philly in the papers and on the radio concerning McNabb. There is definitely a contingent that is fed up with McNabb. He has a interview today that had been postponed really burned people up. Andy Reid advised him??? not to give the press conference earlier.

I don't think it makes too much sense for Detroit. They seem happy enough with Kitna and the number 2 pick is a big one. McNabb is questionable as to how healthy he will be next year. Why would you give up a number 1 for such an unknown commodity?

The Raiders situation semes more appropriate for both side. If the Eagles truly want Brady, then why not go all the way to the top to ensure that pick? Other players would have to be involved. But the QB situation in Raider Nation is far more muddled than Detroit. The Al Davis wildcard comes into play as well.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

Two years straight Mcnabb has not made it past the half-way mark of the season before getting his leg and/or ankle injured.

He's on the decline, IMO, and what team wants another Culpepper situation: Half of McNabb's talent is found in his ability to scramble, and how effective is he going to be with scrambling after two straight seasons of lower extrimity injuries?

BUT...as someone said "It IS Matt Millen we're talking about."

Heaven forbid you just stay at No. 2 and pick up a beast of an o lineman who could anchor your line for the next 10 years (shakes head in disbelief) no matter WHO is the QB.

That team is amazing. I know we're unsatisfied with our team right now, but we've got it fairly well compared to the Lions and Browns.

15. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

any impact on Texans @ #8 or will players fall about the same?

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

They still have Matt Millen as the GM. He'll screw it up. And Roy Williams isn't one of the top 3 WRs in the league. He's a very good WR, but he's not one of the elite.

17. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Well it just means that Adrian Peterson could be taken by the team that trades with them IMO.

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

19. amazingandre

amazingandre All Pro

if they trade with the eagles they wont pick up adrian oviously they have westbrook.....but what if they get atl to trade with them vick for a 2nd rounder???????:stirpot:

20. torontooilfan

torontooilfan All Pro

Millen is a complete and total moron.

I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.

That said, I found nothing at either the FREEP site or Detroit News.
    I doubt this has any teeth.