Determine Strengths and Weaknesses of Upcoming Draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by dbspi, Dec 5, 2006.

1. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

I know it’s that time of the year, since we have some of the best football mind on this forum let’s look to our future and determine what are the strengths and weaknesses of the up coming draft based on players who we might know are coming out in the draft. How does this class fare in comparison to some of the previous drafts?

Strengths:

Weaknesses: OC, LBS

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

WR is so strong this year that a lot of the good juniors aren't gonna declare.

I would also say that CB is really deep this year. Not many 1st round guys but lots of talent.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

If that's the case I see us picking one in the 2nd round.

There seems to be a lot of good OL with 1st round grades as opposed to last year.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

There will still be good CBs in the 2nd round so I dont want one in the 1st unless it is Hall.

5. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

The weakest link is safety, team needs more help against the run/pass on the backside....LaRon Landry or FA

It does not look like Winston is going to be the answer at OT and maybe more suitable to G....Doug Free, LT

Fast powerful OLB...Rufus Alexander

TJ was playing well until his injury. DL not a high priority.

A very slight outside chance Calvin Johnson would be available, to good to pass up.

Michael Bush RB is another possibilty in RD 2/3.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't touch Doug Free if I was the Texans.

He will probably go to a team with a lot of depth on the OL cuz he needs to sit the bench for a year or two.

He is a great physical talent but he has horrible field awareness & blitz recognition.

7. real

real Guest

I am honestly thinking that Calvin Johnson may be too good to pass up....

8. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

I watched him play a couple games and he certainly opened some holes for for Turner and Garret Wolfe, both 1000 yd rushers.

9. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

OLine is a real clear stand out group this year. DLine is fairly nice crop, particularly compared to last year. Safeties are also stronger than usual.

LBs are average this year, which seems like a down year coming off DeMeco, Hawk and Sims.

10. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

You'd be right, except that we'd be lampooned for a decade on rival boards as the Johnson & Johnson offense.

11. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

He can run block like a beast.

He has a real problem with pass protection tho.

12. real

real Guest

Or...

The J & J Ranch...

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

hahah that's nice. if CJ drops to us teams would be more willing to trade up to get him. he's amazing, i support a trade down

14. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Hey what's everyone's opinion on Garret Wolfe? Is it just the weak conference contributing to his numbers? I mean 1900 yards and 18 tds... That's a hell of a season.

15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

FWIW , John McClain said he thought Fred Weary would be the Texans center next year . In 2002 Weary was the #1 center on the board .

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Thats already taken by the Bengals
    Rudi Johnson
    FB Joe Johnson
    and ofcourse
    Chad Johnson

17. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

He is very small, only weighs 170.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Reggie Bush type player but smaller & not as fast.

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think the weakness of this draft is tight end. But thats ok because I can't see why we would draft a tight end this year.

20. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I'll try to break it down.

WR is probally the strongest position in the draft.

TE is one of the weakest, but with two studly prospets in Milller and Olsen, it will be good at the top.

QB is very weak in terms of first round talent. The second weakest in the past 5 years or so.

OT could is very strong, but is top heavy. Very little talent will make it past round one.

OG is decent. Blayock and the OG Auburn highlite the short list worthy of 1st day picks.

OC is about what it was last year. No prospects are as good as Mangold though. Datish and the Fresno C are the two best, but nothing more than mid second round talent.

FB is strong this year and is highlited by the FB from Rutgers

RB is actually pretty stong and fairly deep this year. AP and Lynch get the hype, but guys like Irons and Darby make for good 1st day alternatives.

DT is average as it stands, but could improve drasticly if Okam and the LSU guy enter.

DE is a very strong class again, especially at the top. Adams is the top guy...a smaller, better pass rushing Mario.

OLB is weak at the top IMO, but has very good depth with guys like Dan Conor and Earl Everett

MLB is above average at the top, but very little depth showing itself to this point. I feel you will be hard pressed to find a second stringer in the 3rd round this year.

CB is the absolute hardest position to judge. 90% or so of the talent is underclassmen. Hall is the top Senior, but guys like Cason and Revis make it an awesome class if they declare. CB could easily wind up being the second deepest position in the draft. Potential starters in the 2nd round is almost unheard of for CBs.

SS is thing, but strong. Griffin and Rouse highlite the position, but guys like ziboroski or w/e from ND and Welding from Wyoming could provide good depth.

FS is outstanding at the top with Landry and Nelson, but really falls off from there. McCauley may be made into a FS, and some may try it with Griffin, but I don't expect those to happen, and this will be one of the weakest positions in the draft.